•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takitis!

• Please log in to reply
7712 replies to this topic

#7701 payner

payner

Gemini

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 23 June 2022 - 05:58 PM

I can say there's an obvious difference at the eyepiece between a TOA-150B and FS-152.  Not sure better correction of aberrations (e.g. spherochromatism) are available than the TOAs.  While a bit of color does not bother me aesthetically, this does rob from contrast, and for planetary that is important (along with eyepieces with excellent scatter light control).  Of course lens optical figure is critical, but both the FS-152 and TOA-150B have that quality from my examples.

The FS-152 is an excellent refractor and I do not mean to take away from that.  I could be happy with an excellent example again.  The points about weight and price certainly are real variables to consider and each individual will have their own best answer.  That's the good thing, there are excellent choices.  On the price side, I'm glad I ordered mine in January 2020.  Shortly afterwards none were available for nearly a year and now, like everything, they've increased in price (a bit over $1000 since then last I looked).

• Scott in NC, turtle86 and Orion68 like this

#7702 Heywood

Heywood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:52 PM

That looks really nice, but WOW is it expensive!  $7800 is a lot for a 5” doublet.

Looks like Agema is raising its prices.  Its website now states that the price of each of its fluorite doublets is "TBD," i.e., to be determined.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#7703 payner

payner

Gemini

Posted 23 June 2022 - 07:42 PM

There's an absolutely beautiful NJP Temma-2 (will do goto if disired) on Astromart.  It has additional accessories that are nice to have.  Note, I do not know the person, just passing along the "opportunity".

• Orion68 and 25585 like this

#7704 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: L2

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:26 PM

Looks like Agema is raising its prices.  Its website now states that the price of each of its fluorite doublets is "TBD," i.e., to be determined.

"TBD" almost always means "more expensive," just like "market price" on a restaurant menu.  lol.gif

• Heywood likes this

#7705 jucumari

jucumari

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 June 2022 - 01:53 PM

What cleaning methods have worked for the front objective for your TAK?
I know there are various threads addressing this, however, I would like to know about TAK specifically. I have a 100DF and some dust and pollen from a recent trip into the fields of Kentucky has stuck to my front objective and a blower isn’t much help.

• 25585 likes this

#7706 waso29

waso29

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:58 PM

Except for the china virus, Tak usually has their scopes available within a couple of months, or even in stock.

Is that right?  I can assure you the middle east respiratory syndrome did not dent my tak buying spree after 2012.

Attached Thumbnails

• takitis.JPG

• Cyrano, SandyHouTex, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#7707 C. Evangelista

C. Evangelista

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg/Germany

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:58 PM

I know there are various threads addressing this, however, I would like to know about TAK specifically. I have a 100DF and some dust and pollen from a recent trip into the fields of Kentucky has stuck to my front objective and a blower isn’t much help.

https://www.zeiss.co...g-products.html

• jucumari likes this

#7708 waso29

waso29

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:15 PM

In your manual for the Tak fc100df, you should find the following:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3244 cleaning fc100DF lens.JPG

• 3 i Guy and Bomber Bob like this

#7709 blackhaz

blackhaz

Vanguard

• Loc: London, England

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:27 PM

I once used Zeiss lens cleaning solution on a Macbook Pro screen. Immediately destroyed the anti-reflection coating, it was all spotted. I wish they would specify which cleaner to use.

#7710 Lagrange

Lagrange

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North West England

Posted 24 June 2022 - 06:06 PM

In your manual for the Tak fc100df, you should find the following:

I believe Tak have changed that advice as it was the result of a mistranslation. Alcohol is absolutely fine for those lenses although certain alcohol formulations should be avoided as they can leave a residue.

Edit - I suspect it originally said alkali.

Edited by Lagrange, 24 June 2022 - 08:09 PM.

#7711 C. Evangelista

C. Evangelista

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg/Germany

Posted 24 June 2022 - 06:49 PM

I use double destilled water purchased from a pharmacy, and a very finely woven cotton cloth, after having blown away the dust with a large hand-powered blower, but only every 4-6 years...even significant amount of dust or dirt on the lens does not affect optical performance...  

Edited by C. Evangelista, 24 June 2022 - 06:50 PM.

#7712 payner

payner

Gemini

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:47 PM

This https://landseaskyco...8f661affe&_ss=r is what I use on the rare occasion any cleaning other than using a dust blower followed with camel hair lens brush.

• jucumari likes this

#7713 jucumari

jucumari

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:14 PM

This https://landseaskyco...8f661affe&_ss=r is what I use on the rare occasion any cleaning other than using a dust blower followed with camel hair lens brush.

A few clicks later and it’s on the way to my house.  Thanks!

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics