•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celesterion RVC-6N

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

This is a rescue scope from Craigslist.

It was posted on the eBay, Craigslist, etc thread. While it was in Houston, I live on the very north side of town and it was located on the very south side of town. That's like driving half way across Rhode Island.

I wasn't going to look at it because I have more scopes (or scope projects) than I need and little time to work on them because I'm working on buying a lot and building a house. But, Chuck kinda talked me into it. The photos were bad and the mirror was clearly in need of recoating. But... I always wanted an f/5 RV-6, and I knew about a set of f/5 C6-N optics that were available.

When I saw the scope it was much worse that I thought it would be. It's proof that Troglodytes exist, because one previously owned this scope. It was painted with God knows what. It looked almost like someone poured black paint on it. It had some nasty homemade wheels attached (at least they didn't destroy the nice moonlander feet). I cannot tell if the Dec shaft has been painted, is rusted, or both.

It was advertised for $80 with a cheap 10mm Orion EP. I offered $40 and he countered with $50. I'd have walked, but I had an hour drive each way, so if I came home empty-handed it would have been even worse.

When I got home I placed an ad for a finder and bought the f/5 C6-N optics.

Here we go....
  • terraclarke, Bomber Bob and Charlespl like this

#2 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

Here's the legs with the moonlander feet and the nasty wheel set-up. I'm going to replace the pier with one 6-12" taller so the EP and finder with the f/5 scope are at a comfortable height.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603914-_geo3405CN.jpg

#3 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

Close-up of the ugly casters....

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603916-_geo3407CN.jpg

#4 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Here's the mount. Plenty of rust, but also some paint. This is going to be something of a challenge, but it's all restoreable. At least I'm pretty sure. Some aluminum parts (such as the setting circles) may need some careful work. Most of the fasteners are going to be replaced as well as the locking collars. They are just too nasty to be worth trying to save.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603924-_geo3433CN.jpg

#5 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

The drive at least works (the ad said it didn't) and appears to be in decent enough shape. I do have the cover, but like the rest of the mount, the cover needs some TLC.

Motor is mid 74. Kind of cool as that is the summer after I started into all this.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603927-_geo3426CN.jpg

#6 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

The tube, with the nasty black paint. The focuser was stuck, but I freed that up pretty quickly with some PB Blaster. Now I need to polish the brass with some NevrDull. I'll have to see what I can do with the knobs. And of course some wrinkle black paint is in order.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603937-_geo3408CN.jpg

#7 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Another view of the focuser and nasty paint, along with some nasty electrical tape covering some holes where the finder used to be. Looks like someone just tore it off.

Thankfully, give the system will be f/5, the nasty holes will be cut away.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603941-_geo3413CN.jpg

#8 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

The mirror. Well, can you call it a mirror when the reflective surface is gone? ;)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Thought about selling it, but now I'm thihking of getting it recoated and donating it to my club for a raffle. Not sure about that yet though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603945-_geo3421CN.jpg

#9 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Here is the finder I sourced through the CN classifieds. Like the rest of the scope, it needs a little help, but at least here it's just some paint. The optics and everything else (besides paint) is quite nice.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the optics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6603949-_geo3425CN.jpg

#10 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the optics. Over the weekend I'll get some more mount pics. I've removed the Dec shaft. It's pretty nasty, but so far some PB Blaster has helped with the rust. I'm hoping to have some time to sand the tube and pick up a media blaster to strip some of the old paint.

#11 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

You're a brave man, George! Should be fun.

Charles

#12 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

You're a brave man, George! Should be fun.

Charles

Hehe. You know, it certainly looks ugly, but if I can get the portable media blaster to work reasonably well, it shouldn't be too bad since I have new optics on the way. I think the hardest part is going to be dealing with the Dec shaft. The rest turns out largely to be cleaning or stipping old paint and repainting.

The Dec shaft has me worried, especially since Gil has made comments to the effect that replacing the Dec shaft is brave. I'm currently thinking it may have to be replaced, but I'm going to try to salvage the original.

#13 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Nice find! i'm sure that it'll clean up nice, although from the looks of it the mirror may need to be re-polished.

Btw, I thought those slip-on casters were a neat idea, even if executed less than perfectly...

#14 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

...The rest turns out largely to be cleaning or stipping old paint and repainting.

I'm sure that you're already aware, but be careful when removing the paint from the Bakelite tube. Sanding will likely result in an uneven surface (a mistake I made many years ago when restoring a RV-8). Better to peal off the paint. Either way, it's a pain...but worth it.

Charles

#15 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Casters are a pretty good idea. This poor scope was just terribly abused (can't even say neglected).

The mirror surface actually looks unscathed. No scratches or etching or anything like that. Just missing lots of coating.

I was not aware of issues with removing the paint via sanding. I do have a nice random orbit sander that should minimize issues of unevenness, although I see your point. There is a RV-6 restoration gallery on Company 7's site where someone sanded it. I originally thought about hand sanding. I have some time to ponder it I think.

Found some possible solutions (pun intended) to remove the rust from the Dec shaft.

#16 teast

teast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Depending on what kind of paint it is you might be able to use a hair dryer to soften it and peel it off. Just an idea.

-Tom

#17 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

OK, first active update and my first real restoration contribution.

As you can see in the images that include the focuser, the brass is pretty tarnished to say the least. Pretty nasty actually. You can't even tell the tubes are brass. They are black. In fact, they were so bad, I thought perhaps they had been painted black with everything else.

Nope. Just severe tarnish. So badly so, I had a lot of trouble removing the draw tube from the main focuser tube.

I did some searching yesterday for removing tarnish from brass. I've used NevrDull to remove light tarnish in the past to great effect, but this stuff was well beyond NevrDull. The suggestions I found were ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, lemon and salt,ammonia, and several acids I didn't feel like buying.

I started out with the ketchup. I smeared it on the brass and went to dinner. Came home and left it on overnight. Oops. Only supposed to leave it for about an hour. It took off some of the nastiness, but it was only a start (see the first pic - the focuser tube is after cleaning the ketchup). I washed the tubes and then tried the Worcestershire Sauce. The Worcestershire Sauce again helped a little, but at this rate it was going to take a LONG time. I looked for some ammonia, but we are out. My little monkey brain started thinking and I remembered we have some silver polish.

O... M... G...! The silver polish (and tarnish remover) worked like a charm! The tarnish was coming off quickly. Some of the really nasty spots took a lot of time, patience, and elbow grease, but it all came off, including a spot the size of a nickle that I doubted would ever come clean. It even removed the pink patina that is often left after cleaning brass. I thought I was going to have to leave the pink as patina, but... NOPE! I was able to clean the teeth cut in the focuser tube with a toothbrush and they turned out great too.

I highly recommend the silver polish and tarnish remover for cleaning tarnished brass. I can't wait to finish the focuser this weekend. I'm going to pick up some black wrinkle paint today and paint the body of the focuser and while I've had a little success cleaning the knobs, I am going to have to find something that will work better (probably with some mechanical help - chemical cleaning alone doesn't look like it's going to work).

Oh yeah, the f/5 C6-N optics arrived yesterday too. This rescue is starting to get exciting.

#18 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Here is the drawtube all cleaned up next to the main focuser tube after cleaning off the ketchup. I don't recommend the ketchup as I can still see some etching in the brass in places from the acid in the ketchup.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6605753-Brass1CN.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#19 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

And here's the main focuser tube all cleaned up.

All told I spent about an hour cleaning up both this morning. Very effective.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6605754-Brass2CN.jpg

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#20 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

OK, small update tonight. Life has been busy between finalizing the contract on the property we're buying (yellow zone, on edge of green zone) and closing the books at work. Just not much time for this project.

I've got half the primary sanding on the tube done. No pics yet (should have taken some tonight - oops). Following the spiral wraps as much as possible to avoid the unevenness I've been warned about. Been rolling the tube as I sand. Hopefully I'll have pics over the weekend.

The real update is the legs. I bought this:

http://www.harborfre...-kit-37025.html

It works about as I expected, which is to say, variable. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad (the reviews are pretty accurate). I used aluminum oxide 70 grit on the legs. It made a mess in my driveway and I had to clean it with the pressure washer after. In the end I should have taken them to pro and paid for it. Probably wouldn't have cost any more.

Here's the legs (compare with them original pics). After blasting, they are a weird matte grey that looks, well, icky. The one in the rear is as blasted. The one in the front has been scrubbed with a Scotch-brite pad and cleaned with mineral spirits. The difference is more subtle in the pics, but you can see it. The scrubbed leg (closer) looks much more natural to my eyes. Ran out of time, so all legs are now devoid of paint, but only one has been scrubbed with the Scotch-brite.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6624380-_geo3458CN.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#21 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

It's kind of funny, but the very talented restorers here go to great lengths in their work. Something we never really did when we built the originals!!

We were blessed with talented opticians, and a low-cost design. That goes a long way. Always has, always will.

#22 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

You know I think it was DavidG that painted his silver and they looks great. I seriously considered doing that to mine. It would make it a lot easier to keep them nice.

#23 figurate

figurate

Viking 1

• Loc: Metro North Texas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I can sympathize with your problems, George. This is a shot of a RV6 mount I acquired recently via cyberspace. I was surprised when I opened the box to find that it had a rather novel two-piece german equatorial…I have removed some paint to show the extent of the crack in the declination casting 'tee'.

For various reasons, I kept it, and I'm pretty sure there was no premeditated deception on the part of the seller, just a guy who didn't know much about telescopes. The rest of the mount actually looks better.

Fred

Attached Thumbnails

• 6626888-DSCN0297.jpg

#24 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Oh man, that crack is a bummer.

I may know of a source for that if you're going to replace it Fred.

#25 figurate

figurate

Viking 1

• Loc: Metro North Texas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thanks George, but I was fortunate in finding an Edmund mounting right after I got this. My motivation was to find a mount for my 5" refractor, and as it turns out, I would have needed a beefier one anyway (18 pounds of Losmandy counterweights are required on that one). I put this in here partly just as a cautionary example of metal failure on an old RV-6.

Fred

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics