•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celesterion RVC-6N

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#51 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

I attached the mat board the the sled extending low enough to really facilitate reading the radio us of curvature.  It really worked like a charm.  The taped down tape measure and easily sliding sled made repeatability A1!  Three measurements starting from different positions resulted in the same measurement quite easily.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#52 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Here you can see the taped opening and the returned image.  What you can't see that really helped dial in the exact focus was ver fine bits at the edges of the opening that were clearly missing in the out of focus image, but suddenly were there when focus was correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Datapanic likes this

#53 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

Here's the back of the sled.  Just a flashlight taped to some spacer blocks for height.  You can see the tape measure setting behind the sled.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Mr Magoo likes this

#54 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

Last pic.  This is the under side of the sled.  I first used metal conduit clamps, but I couldn't get them to slide.  They were either too tight or the jammed up as soon as I tried to move it.  The plastic clamps did the trick, but are a little sloppy.  If I had some fel handy, I'd have lined the clamps with the felt to reduce the slop.  Even with the slop, the results were easily repeated with virtually no deviation.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#55 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

OK, so where are we?  Radius of Curvature is 58.875".

so, many thanks again to Dan, I plugged all the pertinent measurements into Newt for Web on the Stellafane site.

Primary diameter:  6". (Actually 150mm, but we're not mixing measurement units)

Focal ratio:  f/4.905. (Actually almost perfectly f/5, but because we said the mirror is 6" we had to change the focal ratio to get the focal length correct

Diagonal minor axis: 1.5". ( the C6-N used a 1.75" diagonal, but Newt for Web pointed out the problems with this, so when a 1.5" became available in the classifieds, I grabbed it.

Tube ID:  7.0"

Tube wall thickness: 0.125"

Focuser centerline to front of tube:  2.875" (keeping same as the RV-6)

Mirror face to back of tube:  4.25". (A little different from th RV-6 due to the thinner C6-N mirror)

Focuser height:  2.25"

Spare focuser travel: 0.5". (I not sure if I should go shorter here - just wanted a little margin of error)

Additional height for camera:  0. (Visual only)

Focuser ID:  1.25

This yields a tube length of 30.180". (30 3/16" roughly)

SO time to recheck all measurements input to Newt for Web before cutting.

What to cut the tube with?  I'm thinking fine hacksaw, leaving 1/16-18" to sand down to a smooth edge.  I'm open to better ideas.

I ordered a 3' (instead of the usual 2') tube for the pier.  It may be just a touch to long, but not much.  I'll probably paint it as-is and once together trim it as need be.  Need a taller pier because of the shorter focal length.

Well, that's all for now.

• Datapanic likes this

#56 fjs

fjs

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Really nice optical bench George! :bow:

#57 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Frank.  It's pretty simple, but I had a few starts and stops.  Did  the trick though.

#58 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

One last pic for today...

I stuck the declination shaft into some Rust-Ez.  No wait...  That was from Cars.  Some Evapo-Rust.  Giving it a two day soak.  I'll post before and after once I take it out.  

Tomorrow ow ill pick up some Aircraft Remover to start stripping old paint as well some etching primer.  This is a fun project.

Oh, I've marked the tube for cutting.  If nobody finds any issues with the calculations or my decision to use 0.5" in-focus, I'll cut and drill the tube this week.  Hopefully have the tube painted a week from now.  We'll see.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#59 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

George, that's a hell of a project you got there! Years ago I restored an RV6 in similar condition and it came out beautiful. Don't think I would have the will to another one though! Can't wait to see the finished product!

#60 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Sorry for the pics being flipped.  I've been posting from my iPad generally and they show up fine there.

Here is the dec shaft before and after Rust Ez, er Evaporust.  It's not quite as good as I was hoping.  I've since started in with the wet or dry sandpaper and it should improve.  Sorry about the bad lighting in the one.

I've got a few things I want to accomplish this weekend, including finishing the pier.  I should have measured the cap before ordering.  I ordered the same wall thickness tube that they come with, but there is a lot of slop (I remembered they exhibit this after I got the new tube).  I'm going to have to fab a spacer to take up the slop.

I also want to finish cutting, drilling, repairing, and painting the outside of the tube.  I made a practice cut on the waste end.  It turned out better than I expected, but not quite as good as I hoped.  Final cut should be fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo2.jpg
  • photo1.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#61 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

Just read through this thread from the beginning, and it reminds me that sometimes these restorations do take a lot of time!  An RV-6 restore is more difficult than the typical Cave Restore, and you're doing a great job!  Thanks for the pictures and sharing your experience - it's invaluable! 

#62 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Many thanks Dan.  Much of the delay has been due to getting my house on the market.  I finally gave some time to move forward.

What takes more time than I had planned for is making things to make certain processes go smoother.  We're mow at Trudy's house so I don't have all my tools yet.  I've got to work out jigs for painting the pier and the tube, both things I want to finish this weekend if at all possible.

#63 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Well, sometimes plans go differently from expectations.  I didn't finish the tube or the pier.

But, I broke down the mount.  Only thing I couldn't finish is removing the plate the drive mounts to from the RA shaft housing.  Got 3 of the 4 setscrews out.  The last just wouldn't give it up.  Tried to drill it out, but broke two drill bits (cheap junk from a Lowes kit).  I either need to drill it out or see if they make really small Easy-Outs.  Maybe I can find a left hand bit and get it to dig in and spin the screw out.

This week will be fun and games with aircraft remover to get the paint off the mount.

What I DID finish was the dec shaft.  Once again thanks to Dan for the tips how-to.  I was surprised how well it turned out.  If this bloody rain would stop I found paint the mounting plate.

You know, when I bought this scope I had very serious doubts this dec shaft would somehow be useable.  Wow.  I had doubts about much of the scope and did buy some things (no way were the setting circles salvageable and it turned out one tube ring was busted, but I found a great deal).

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Geo31, 28 September 2015 - 06:32 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#64 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

OK, short update tonight.  No pics this time.  I'll have some over the weekend.

Cut the tube to length.  Pondered several ways to set it up, including the tried and true wrapping it with heavy paper to form a nice square line.  In the the end, I just made several measurements from the back end of the tube and connected multiple marks and drew partial lines until I had a continuous line around.  Since all the marks lined up with one another, I was comfortable I had it marked correctly.

A couple of weeks ago I used the same method to make a test cut, leaving 1/8" from the cut to the line.  I realized that was too much and when I made the final cut I never got farther than 1/16".  I'm getting ahead of myself.  I did wrap the tube along the line with painter's tape for a stronger visual (realized I needed the during the test cut).  I used a hack saw with a fine blade and worked my way around instead of cutting through, top to bottom.  That allowed adjusting the cut as needed.  Worked as planned.  I used a sanding block with 60 grit sandpaper to even the end of the tube with the tape. It really worked like a charm.  Easier than I thought.  I used a little finer grit to smooth the edges.

About this time Trudy came home and I never got to the next steps (laying out the holes and drilling for the spider, finder, and focuser).  That will happen sometime this weekend.  I gave a little Bondo touch up to do before priming.

The other big thing is I dropped the RA shaft and Dec housing in the Evaporust on Sunday evening.  I had planned to take it out Tuesday night but this week didn't accommodate telescopes very well.  Not only was the shaft spotless, the paint was all off the Dec housing, leaving a nice clean casting ready for primer.   :). It also turns out my Dec housing is cast iron and the rest of the mount is cast aluminum.  the SC pointers are in OK shape.  One lost its chrome, but the other is near perfect (they were in the soup too).

Guess I have a lot of pics to take this weekend.

For the first time, I am confident this is going to work out great.

Edited by Geo31, 02 October 2015 - 10:01 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#65 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Ok kids, productive day for what time I had.

The tube is cut to length, all necessary holes drilled and dressed.  I've put some Bondo on the blemishes on the end.  Once I sand these, I should be ready for primer.  I have a high build primer for that.  I'll give it several coats and hand sand it smooth before painting with the Pearl White.  That should look pretty sweet given this is a restomod scope.

• BarabinoSr and terraclarke like this

#66 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Ok kids, productive day for what time I had.

The tube is cut to length, all necessary holes drilled and dressed.  I've put some Bondo on the blemishes on the end.  Once I sand these, I should be ready for primer.  I have a high build primer for that.  I'll give it several coats and hand sand it smooth before painting with the Pearl White.  That should look pretty sweet given this is a restomod scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#67 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

I masked the shafts and primed the castings today as well. First pic is the RA shaft and Dec housing almost as it came out of the Evaporust.  Very little clean-up necessary.  The second is the shafts and the castings drying after two coats of self-etching primer.

Unfortunately, the is likely to be no progress tomorrow.  Have to change out a kitchen sink, faucet, and rearrange the plumbing.

This thing is starting to come along quickly now.  I have the 3' (instead of the factory 2') pier and just need to drill the holes for the leg screws.  We've had a lot of clear nights lately (except for the eclipse) and I know I'm being toyed with.  Once this thing is done I won't have clear skies for months. :(

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Datapanic and terraclarke like this

#68 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

Looking good!

Household plumbing projects always seem to take away valuable telescope time.

#69 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

Okie dokie....

got ot out of plumbing work over the weekend and did some priming and painting.

I painted the saddle on the Dec shaft as well as the Dec housing.  Both got 3 heavy coats and wrinkled up nicely, but...

There appears to be some whitish parts of the black paint.  Anybody ever experience this or have an idea?  With no other ideas, I'm thinking of letting the current coats cure and give one more heavy coat.  The parts were primed with self etching primer.

One other possibility is the whitishness will go away when cured I guess.

#70 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

Well, work is progressing, if slowly.  Since I'm putting a lot more work and money into this than I initially intended, it has become an exercise in time and patience.

The whitish cast between the wrinkles never when away and since nobody had a suggestion, I let the paint thoroughly cure and added two more coats. It seems to have done the trick.  I'm now working under the assumption it was a reaction with the self etching primer and I'll have to repeat the process with all parts with wrinkle paint.

Here is the final result.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Mr Magoo likes this

#71 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

These definitely have exceeded my highest expectations given what I started with, and really, as could as I could have expected with even a far better start.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Mr Magoo, astro140 and terraclarke like this

#72 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

The tube is beyond half way done.  I've filled the imperfections with Bondo brand putty.  I am NOT happy with that as it really was just a tube of regular Bondo that they called putty.  I put 3 coats of high solids primer on and still have a few small imperfections to fill.  The it's just a matter of sanding everything down smooth and touching up with a bit more primer before applying the pearl white finish coat.  I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out. I may coat with clear as well.

Next big project is to strip the rest of the components with some Aircraft Remover and prime and paint.  How tricky is this stuff to work with?

On a quiet night I'm going to go through all the fasteners and order new ones.

Oh, and I'm going to try to finish the pier once the atmosphere here is no longer soup.  I have some hammered silver paint for that.

Getting there.  Slowly.

• Mr Magoo, BarabinoSr and sgorton99 like this

#73 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Great story so far George. I love checking in periodically for your updates. Sounds like its rounding the bend and heading for the finish line. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

#74 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Thank you SO much Terra!  Sometimes I wonder if anyone cares, but I'll keep going reagardless.  

FWIW, my sense is the same as yours - we've turned the corner and this is a foregone conclusion.  Sometimes I feel bad how longer this is taking, but then I think of everything else going on in my life at the moment and I'm thrilled with the progress.

I'd love to finish the tube this weekend, but we are laying Trudy's mom to rest in Costa Mesa this weekend.  I feel SO close!  I have some cool upgrades coming in keeping with the restomod aspect.  :)

• terraclarke likes this

#75 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I think it's great you are taking your time George. I do the same thing. Relish the moments and enjoy the ride!
  • BarabinoSr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics