•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Shock Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:25 PM

Do any of you ground the scope before you plug in the car battery adapter? I am using the car battery adapter, and I had friend tell me to tap the adapter on the tripod to ground it... I was just wondering if theres any basis to that????

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:45 PM

I am shocked by this tread! :shocked:
What were you thinking!!!

Whew. No reason to worry about grounding, particularly with an isolated 12 volt supply. Grounding is a consideration for household AC voltages.

For instance, you want the housing of any electrical applicance to be grounded. This is so that, if there's an internal short putting high voltage on internal metal parts, you won't be zapped by touching the appliance housing. Enjoy!

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

Yeah I didn't think about the title before I posted it. Maybe grounding question mighta been better... LOL Oh well live in learn :)

Dennis thanks for the info!!!

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:44 PM

Sounds like a concern for built up static electricity. I would tap it on the car, not the ground. The ground, unless saturated with water, is a poor conductor.

The car, while poorly grounded is like a starving capaciter and will readily absorb excess charge from small objects. Like you, or your scope (man I hope your scope is a small object!!).

I don't know what kind of risk this poses (it would vary with the humidity) but off the cuff I would consider it low.

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:18 PM

Ron,

I tapped it on the tripod leg... But thanks for your imput :)

#6 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:17 AM

Have you ever looked for or seen a spark? Did you ask your friend for clarification on the issue?

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:13 AM

Never seen a spark. Personally I thought it was kinda a crazy idea to tap the leg with the adapter, but at the same time I didn't want fry anything... I know less about electronics then anything else, so I tend to ply it safe with things. :)

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:30 AM

Preston, hope you realize I was just fooling on my first post. ;)

Ron brings up an interesting point. Static :question: The scope and car power is a floating supply. That is, completely isolated from ground. The car is on rubber tires, and the tripod has rubber feet. So you, your tripod, your electronics, and the car can all be sitting at different potentials or voltages. Just as clouds can have lightning strike between them, I suppose sparks could happen between any one of these depending on how large the difference is voltage is. I've received shocks sometimes when touching my car, especially during the winter when the air is so dry (highest likelyhood of static). (To avoid this, you hold a key to touch the car, you'll see a spark but not feel it.) I suppose grounding the tripod would take any charge from you and sent it to ground. It doesn't necessarily protect the electonics though. I would also be interested in any comments your friend may have regarding this. Might be something to learn here. Otherwise, just enjoy!

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:34 PM

Dennis
I hada feeling you were teasing :)

Well my friend me told he did tapped the adapter when he had his LX200 classic (then using a meade 1812 adapter) and with CI700 mounted C14 (using the celestron adapter). I have never heard of anyone else doing it...

I had never really thought about static electricity, but, could if I'm powering off the car there ever be a power spike or something???

#10 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:47 PM

Ahhh, you have the car running!

I have never looked at the 12v output from a cigarette lighter to see how clean (or not) it is. Normally filtering with a capacitor would be the solution for absorbing a voltage spike(s), not grounding. I imagine the electronics in your Celestron are designed with this in mind. I'm still very curious about the grounding :question:

#11 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Naw, I don't have the car running when I plug into it... Which also begs the question could I ever drain the car battery LOL. I should use a powertank battery that celestron (and Orion) sells

#12 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:08 PM

I've run my NS11 for most the night with no ill effects: Off the car battery. But only the scope. You add a dew heater, coffee pot, bum warmer, TV, laptop and satellite dish - you will have a problem.

You could probably get away with a little Honda generator - with all those Meade scopes around no one will ever hear it. :whistle:

(OK, that may be an example of poor humor... :) )

#13 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:44 PM

Thats true LX200's are bit noisey...

#14 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:50 PM

I really never encountered any shocks in the field nor ever thought of grounding the scope. Only shock I ever encountered recently is when one leg slipped and scope started falling away from me. I caught scope intime before it hit the floor. RBOE: really! Picking on the poor Meade owners just cause their scopes sound like coffee grinders.
Good one though....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:04 PM

Well, it is the NexStar thread so a friendly jibe seemed OK. But they could bring up the code 16 & 17 errors so I don't want to push it! :lol:

#16 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:23 PM

I think it(code 16,17) is due to stretching the cord of the hand control to max and moving it to the side, it loses contact with scope and system goes dead. I encounted that problem several times. I called Celestron and they said it
could be that action causing it but if it continues, then I was to send the hc back to them. Think about it, was hc cord stretched while you were issuing commands when scope froze?? I owned a LX200 and that scope tended to freeze-especially the 'tour' program. So the 200 owners have their issues too. I hear Meade is issuing lifetime suppy of earplugs with every scope :grin: Sorry Meade owners, but as a former owner I think I was entitled! :lol:

#17 dc2861

dc2861

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:07 AM

I would tap it on the car, not the ground. The ground, unless saturated with water, is a poor conductor.

You're killing me Ron!

#18 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 12:01 PM

I think it(code 16,17) is due to stretching the cord of the hand control to max and moving it to the side, it loses contact with scope and system goes dead. I encounted that problem several times. I called Celestron and they said it
could be that action causing it but if it continues, then I was to send the hc back to them. Think about it, was hc cord stretched while you were issuing commands when scope froze?? I owned a LX200 and that scope tended to freeze-especially the 'tour' program. So the 200 owners have their issues too. I hear Meade is issuing lifetime suppy of earplugs with every scope :grin: Sorry Meade owners, but as a former owner I think I was entitled! :lol:

The reason the Meades are so much louder.. at least according to the 03/03 Sky and Telescope review is that they have a standard slew rate of 8 degrees per second wheras the Nexstar has a 3 degree standard slew rate per second. The article continues to say that the Meade can be set to 3 degrees per second and the noise and power consumption goes way down.

Now the only reason I know this was I was looking through that issue last night and saw the review of the LX200GPS and read it.

#19 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:39 PM

[The reason the Meades are so much louder.. at least according to the 03/03 Sky and Telescope review is that they have a standard slew rate of 8 degrees per second wheras the Nexstar has a 3 degree standard slew rate per second. The article continues to say that the Meade can be set to 3 degrees per second and the noise and power consumption goes way down.

Now the only reason I know this was I was looking through that issue last night and saw the review of the LX200GPS and read it. [/quote]

I think the the Meade gears are plastic or some noise making material :question:. I wonder if the new models are quieter. any current model Meade owners wish to respond on this inquiry?

#20 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:36 AM

Hey, don't knock the Meade guys - we have freshly-ground coffee at every viewing session...

#21 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 28 February 2004 - 08:43 AM

Hey, don't knock the Meade guys - we have freshly-ground coffee at every viewing session...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:15 AM

I'll bring my mug. It'll be cool having the Meade team working as support. :whistle:

#23 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:38 PM

Naw, I don't have the car running when I plug into it... Which also begs the question could I ever drain the car battery LOL. I should use a powertank battery that celestron (and Orion) sells

I have a Powertank and two JumpStarters (bought at Sam's for $50 each). I've run the JumpStarter, with the dew heater (Ron Keating's DewBuster, which uses less power than others) for 8 hours, and the charge indicator has never left the green. It won't drain your car battery unless you have a compact car with a weak battery.

Nevertheless, the JumpStarter is a better buy than the Powertank. I removed the air compressor and the jumper cables from both of mine - there's a little surgery required, so let me know if you want to try that. I also got some 3M taillight tape, and filtered the built-in light with that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics