•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Konus vs. Starmax

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:11 PM

Hi all, New to the forum. Anyone have a Konus 130? Seems like a lot of equipment for the $$. Been looking at the Orion Starmax also. Seems like most people who have them really like. I'm looking for something thats portable but will give good views of the planets/sun and also some Deep sky objects...Oh yeah and always lusted after Maks since I was a youth :p (Felt deprived I guess cause I couldn't justify a Questar :bawling:

#2 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

hey topcat. welcome.

I've got Orion Mak and really dig it. Yes, others like it, too.

I have a Konus 200mm reflector and really like it a lot. Others seem to really like the Konus 200, too. But Konus' other scopes don't seem to have the reputation for quality that their 200mm reflector has. I haven't heard anything back about the Konus 130, but I haven't hear any rave reviews of it either. So, I guess I just don't know.

Quality issues aside, one main reason I bought the Orion Mak instead of the Konus Mak is that the focal length on the Konus is longer. It's like f14 or f16 isn't it? Mine is f12, and has focal length of 1540mm. I think the Konus is closer to 2000mm. At this long focal length, your field of view is getting really small.

So, I'd recommend the Starmax, but I agree the Konus seems like a really good deal, assuming its optics are fine, and if you don't mind narrow FOV.

good luck deciding!
jeff

#3 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:38 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input and I'm glad you pointed out the focal length as I neglected that part of the comparison. I'd rather have the larger field of view. I've dealt with Orion before and they are good people who stand behind the product. It looks like you can get the pro model with heavier tripod and drives for a little more money...Boy, its easy to keep climbing the equipment ladder :grin: Now if someone just produced a resonably price GOTO system for them....How is yours on DSO's? Well thanks again and it's good to meet you!

#4 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:42 PM

It works as well on DSOs as a 5" will do. what more can I say? I've seen a lot of really cool stuff with my 5" already, but not as much as through my 8". Don't know what else to tell ya.

Suffice to say, the 5" Mak is awesome on planets, and will still show a lot of nice DSOs. It's especially nice on star clusters and bright objects like the Orion nebula. And its portability means you'll be able to use it a lot. If you want a "DSO scope", the Mak's probably not your best scope, but if you want a good all-around scope that handles planets and lunar exceptionally, handles DSOs ok, that is very portable and fun to use, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

You mentioned the SVP version. Unless you're planning to do astrophotography, I think this is overkill. I've found the Astroview mount that comes with the Starmax to be plenty stable, and easier to haul around, too, because it's about 10-lbs lighter than the SVP mount.

cheers,
jeff

#5 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:54 AM

I you want a larger field of view, look at an Intes Macro M503 5" Mak Cass. It is only f/10 and comes with a 2" diagonal. I little more than an Orion, but a lot less than a Questar. ITE distributes them in the States.

#6 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:06 AM

Thanks again
Jeff, I'm looking for a portable all arounder and the price is right also. Seems pretty hard to beat. I had no photography plans so I'll go with the lighter mount. It seems like getting a Orion red dot finder would be wise also. I know the 6x finder on my ancient Celestron 80mm Refractor was pretty useless. A Telrad made it a lot more user friendly.

#7 litespeed

litespeed

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:23 PM

I you want a larger field of view, look at an Intes Macro M503 5" Mak Cass. It is only f/10 and comes with a 2" diagonal. I little more than an Orion, but a lot less than a Questar. ITE distributes them in the States.

Yes......That is a very nice scope!

AJ

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:15 AM

I was waiting for a clear night before posting my feedback on Konus 130. Finally I got to take my Konus 130 out to see the rings of saturn. I used 17mm EP and the image was , while it wasn't as big as I thought it would be, so clear and bright. As I posted back in Jan, I was also looking for a feedback on Konus 130 but had found none. However, after talking to the owner of digitecoptical I was convinced this was the model for me. I am very happy with this unit. A truly great package for under $600. Thx.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics