•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do any of you keep your scope outside and covered?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Shortly after getting my NexStar 8SE I bought a Telegizmos Solar Scope Cover.
I have the intention of setting up my scope on my backyard patio and then covering it. That way it'll be ready to go when I want to use it again.
I'm sure there are negatives to doing this, so I'd like to hear from those of you who have tried this.
By the way, I live in a small subdivision out in the country, my backyard is fenced, and I have a dog who knows to bark at strangers. (For those of you who think I run the risk of having the telescope stolen.)

Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade 6" Newtonian Reflector
Soon to have 15x70 Celestron binoculars
8x42 Nikon Attache Binoculars

#2 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

I know what you wrote but I read "do any of you like building houses for spiders or red ants."

This is Texas after all.

obin ;)

#3 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Of course it had to be a fellow Texan making the first reply.
I had not considered the possibility of spiders, and in my area (as well as yours)FIRE ANTS.
Dang it, you got me concerned now. Thanks for the reminder. :foreheadslap:

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Hubble

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I advise against that, because I know a fellow who did that and ended up having to pay good money to send it back to Celestron for repairs. The wind tore off the cover and his telescope got soaked. It's find to leave it under a cover at a star party or all weekend at home but not for weeks or months on end given the violent weather in Texas.

Taras

#5 penguinx64

penguinx64

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Nope, I keep mine in the garage in the original box.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's find to leave it under a cover at a star party or all weekend at home but not for weeks or months on end...

+1... and i'd only add "with ANY type of weather!"

And be advised- there's the distinct probability of moisture build-up inside such a cover left out in the elements. Could be highly detrimental to a scope left under it for long periods. Now, roll that puppy under a covered porch, out of direct sun exposure... your odds go WAY up for longevity/duration! :ubetcha:

Also to note- on the Telegizmos scope cover, the std. type has a limited lifespan... at some point it WILL begin to degrade. Finally replaced mine with a "Telegizmos 365" cover; too early to tell any diff on the longevity aspect, but it's ratings would suggest the 365 is a significant upgrade. :fingerscrossed:

#7 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Vanguard

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yes, the 12.5". It's to big to fit anywhere else. To keep it free of moisture I bought a big sheet of plastic used for covering floors when painting at the store. One goes around the tube and is secured tightly to prevent moisture from entering. Ditto for the mount. Works fine, I've never had a problem.

#8 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I keep all my stuff in the garage, in cases... its not that far to the driveway or backyard and it only takes a short bit to set up everything.

I do leave the mount setup under a cover in the garage though. Never an issue with that.

#9 star drop

star drop

The Cardinal

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

No, my telescope is stored in a shed.

#10 Sonomajfk

Sonomajfk

Ranger 4

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

I keep my 90mm refractor on our back deck; I use a bath towel over it as a cover. But this is northern CA: we won't have any rain until at least October, and it's completely sheltered from any wind, dust, or moisture. No bugs to speak of... the bees aren't interested in it. I wipe down the mount etc. every time I use it. As soon as there's any hint of moisture coming, it'll go back into my shed for the winter. Then I have to drag it out every time.
John.

#11 George N

George N

Cosmos

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have a friend who has left a 6" Orion Dob out on his deck under a cover for years.... summer storms, and winter snow! It still works as well as new.

#12 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Would you leave your Optical Guidance 10" Cass outside under a cover?
I don't have a raised wooden patio at my house. I have to make do with a patio stones affair. This will allow any creatures to crawl,climb or jump up under the cover.
The Telegizmos cover will be going back unused to the place I ordered it from (unless someone wants to buy it from me).

Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade 6" Newtonian
Celestron 15 x 70 binos (on the way)

#13 Sonomajfk

Sonomajfk

Ranger 4

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

I realized I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my back deck has a (galvanized) roof over it, so the scope is shaded and protected; I would be pretty concerned about leaving it out in the sun, covered or not.
John.

#14 Feidb

Feidb

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I did that when I lived in Oklahoma but never again. Also, here in Las Vegas, I live in an orange/red zone, so I have to go out of town to observe. Nope, one scope is in the storage shed, retired. The one I use is in the garage, ready to go.

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

If you trust the weather report, you might leave it so covered for a night. I own a 12.5 inch Portaball, and it is kept on my side of the closet in our home. When I owned an 18 and 20 inch telescope, I kept them in the garage. Maybe you could build a small observatory to leave your telescope permanently set up outside.

#16 mich_al

mich_al

Cosmos

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

No-one seems to have issues with a scope and mount outside in an observatory but outside under other conditions is questioned. Mine has been outside under a Telegizmo 365 nearly non-stop for a couple of years. I monitor the humidity and temperature and keep both low. There are no winds here that will destroy the cover. If the cover ever shows signs of wear I'll replace it. It's pier mounted and won't blow over. Do as I do and you'll be fine.

:gotpopcorn:

#17 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

We have fire ants in great numbers in Texas. Given the chance they crawl up into the control unit in an air conditioning unit, and totally fowl it up with their bodies until it ceases to run. I know it happens because they did it to mine.
If I happen to leave my NexStar 8 outside under a 365 cover in my backyard I run the risk of having these nuisance insects getting all over my telescope.
If you have not lived in Texas you can't imagine the problems these ants are creating. :(

No-one seems to have issues with a scope and mount outside in an observatory but outside under other conditions is questioned. Mine has been outside under a Telegizmo 365 nearly non-stop for a couple of years. I monitor the humidity and temperature and keep both low. There are no winds here that will destroy the cover. If the cover ever shows signs of wear I'll replace it. It's pier mounted and won't blow over. Do as I do and you'll be fine.

:gotpopcorn:

#18 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

I monitor the humidity and temperature and keep both low.

This is the key; i guess we'd term it "active covering"? :lol: To fail to make provision for air-borne moisture ("humidity") is to invite mold/mildew, and a potentially ruined scope! :p

Mine has been outside under a Telegizmo 365 nearly non-stop for a couple of years.

This is good to hear! Gives me hope... my std. Telegizmo cover finally gave it up; Sun + wind-thrashing eventually did it in. I don't leave the new 365 exposed to those elements indefinitely, and am hoping it'll last many, many years as a result. :fingerscrossed: :dob: :ubetcha:

#19 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Man am I glad I dont still live in Texas with those blasted fire ants!! We would hit the grass with poison....the ants would just pick up and migrate to the neighbors yard then when they would poison them they would pack up their supplies and migrate back to my yard. Endless troubles! Good luck.

#20 Kevdog

Kevdog

Kevin Williams Software

• Vendors

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Man am I glad I dont still live in Texas with those blasted fire ants!! We would hit the grass with poison....the ants would just pick up and migrate to the neighbors yard then when they would poison them they would pack up their supplies and migrate back to my yard. Endless troubles! Good luck.

In AZ we watched the black ants we have just move the poison off their trail. Sure the ants doing the moving would die, then the rest had a clear path to go about their business. Crazy!

#21 mdowns

mdowns

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

I keep mine outside 24/7 but I use a telegizmo 365. The cg11 has been outside for nearly 3 years with no concerns.The 16 has just started its outside stay.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6631908-IMG_9042.JPG

#22 mdowns

mdowns

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

I should have mentioned the pest covered in this thread.We do have significant fire ant populations down here in sw florida but these have never been an issue for the cg11. I do however get frogs inside the g11 itself as the cover is not airtight and is in fact pretty open along its base. You can see in this pic what I'm referring to.Again though,here in southern florida,the 365 has been flawless for me,aside from the frogs who love the g11s head.We experience very high humidity,heavy rain and blistering sun from May through November........

Attached Thumbnails

• 6631956-IMG_8990.JPG

#23 mich_al

mich_al

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thankfully we don't have issues with ants in the scope/mount. The outside catfood attacts them in large numbers. I do find an occasional tree frog under the cover this time of year.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6632243-P1010608_b.JPG

#24 George N

George N

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Would you leave your Optical Guidance 10" Cass outside under a cover?

I have for a few nights at remote observing sites.

In the Northeast were I live/observe, it is sometimes so humid that telescopes start dewing/frosting up before dark. Two weeks ago at the Cherry Springs Star Party one night my Obsession 20 and ES127ED refractor were so dewed up by 3 am that they looked like they had been hit with a fire hose. On a few winter nights I've had my Obsession 20 so covered with frost by morning that it was white instead of black!

However, a friend with his 10" SCT in an AstroGazer portable dome ( web page ) had no dew at all! He has left scopes in it at home both summer and winter, including in heavy snow, with no problems. The fellow who makes the AstroGazer was at CSSP and he provided a few parts that were needed for minor repairs this dome (over 5 years old).

#25 George N

George N

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thankfully we don't have issues with ants in the scope/mount. The outside catfood attacts them in large numbers. I do find an occasional tree frog under the cover this time of year.

Looks like were I live!

...and I'd be more concerned with hibernating bears under the cover rather than ants..... :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics