•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
6550 replies to this topic

#5851 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

I bought one of these from Jan Seyfried when he first offered them.  Sold it about ten years later because I didn't have any scopes fast enough to really make use of it.  Of course, as soon as I let it go, I got into fast Newtonians.  Been looking for another ever since, finally picked this one up thanks to another Cloudy Nights member who is lightening their load.  It's in practically BN condition, came with the original box & dustcaps.

The University Optics Pretoria 28mm coma-correcting eyepiece. 

Pretoria 003.jpg

Here it is next to an old Edmund 28mm eyepiece in 1.25", for scale.

Pretoria 001.jpg

• davidmcgo, Deven Matlick, memento and 9 others like this

#5852 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

Brandon Coma Corrector.JPG

I bought one of these from Jan Seyfried when he first offered them.  Sold it about ten years later because I didn't have any scopes fast enough to really make use of it.  Of course, as soon as I let it go, I got into fast Newtonians.  Been looking for another ever since, finally picked this one up thanks to another Cloudy Nights member who is lightening their load.  It's in practically BN condition, came with the original box & dustcaps.

The University Optics Pretoria 28mm coma-correcting eyepiece. 

attachicon.gif Pretoria 003.jpg

Here it is next to an old Edmund 28mm eyepiece in 1.25", for scale.

attachicon.gif Pretoria 001.jpg

I did not know that University (Optics?) offered a coma correcting eyepiece (looks to be a 2" eyepiece).  I have a 1 1/4 Brandon coma-corrector eyepiece of 20 mm focal length that I use with my Celestron orange-tube Comet Catcher.

• Littlegreenman, BillShakes and Esso2112 like this

#5853 silodweller

silodweller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

Hino Mizar P-100

attachicon.gif Hino Mizar P-100 S12.jpg attachicon.gif Hino Mizar P-100 S14.jpg

Dirty, greasy, but otherwise in very good condition.  Once I'm finished with the Goto, I'll get this one fixed up.

I'm in Love...  Oh well, perhaps one day I'll come across a treasure such as this... 

• rolo likes this

#5854 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

In remarkably good condition.  Box is trashed, will need a reskin.  But the OTA is excellent, objective perfect, chrome is all perfect, just a few minor repairs and adjusments needed.  Kit seems complete but eyepiece tops rashed.  Manual included.  Should restore to new condition.

001.jpg  002.jpg  003.jpg  

Edit:  No finder!  The finder dust cap is there, but the finder is MIA.  The bracket is on the tube with all adjusting screws present.  Fortunately, I have an extra.  Better yet, I have the right-angle version of that finder.  

Will try and DPAC this RA lens tonight.  Stay tuned.

Edit:  Ronchi results:  Very, very good.  Typical Royal Astro of this period.  Four nice straight bands.  At first there was a hook on the end of one and I was worried about a turned edge.  I loosened the retaining ring and the line snapped straight.   I am happy.

• photiost, rolo, CharlieB and 14 others like this

#5855 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:26 AM

Cool project Chuck. 

I recognize that one from the bay. All of the loose parts was the give away. Made me wonder why someone took it apart?

I have no doubt you'll make it look like new.waytogo.gif

#5856 walter a

walter a

Ranger 4

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:41 AM

Chuck that is a nice find for sure, is it a 304 model?

Edited by walter a, 10 August 2018 - 06:34 AM.

#5857 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

Yes it is, Walter.  I'll post a pic of the box label later today. 

#5858 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

Cool project Chuck. 

I recognize that one from the bay. All of the loose parts was the give away. Made me wonder why someone took it apart?

I have no doubt you'll make it look like new.waytogo.gif

Thanks Chris. 

The poor seller badly underestimated the shipping charges, I gave them an extra 30 bucks to help offset it.  They were grateful and amazed.

• Steve_M_M, Bomber Bob, DMala and 1 other like this

#5859 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

I thought you were downsizing Chuck?

#5860 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

Maybe he is only buying smaller telescopes now ;-)

Dave

• terraclarke likes this

#5861 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Box label:

004.jpg

I am.  What confuses you is that I don't post when new scopes leave the collection.   No thread for that.  ;)

For every new one you see posted here, I've sold or given-away two to three.

Maybe he is only buying smaller telescopes now ;-)

Dave

Actually, you post wisely.   Next week I'm losing nearly 800 lbs. in Classic telescopes that are getting new owners.  ;)

• photiost, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#5862 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

Box label:

attachicon.gif 004.jpg

I am.  What confuses you is that I don't post when new scopes leave the collection.   No thread for that.  wink.gif

Actually, you post wisely.   Next week I'm losing nearly 800 lbs. in Classic telescopes that are getting new owners.  wink.gif

800 pounds!?!  shocked.gif  How many telescopes does that come to?   

I've discovered that I have really fully recovered from the "Classic Buying Obsession". It took a long time, but it's gone! I never thought it would happen.  I have no desire to purchase a new scope and I'm completely satisfied with the 4 that I have left.  I still go to monthly recovering addict meetings, but so far no ad is tempting me.

• Mr Magoo, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#5863 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

800 pounds!?!  shocked.gif  How many telescopes does that come to?   

One, actually,  plus an OTA.

I'm primarily a restorationist, not a collector for it's own sake.  The idea is to keep me busy in my "golden years".  Fix them up and move them on. 

Only my ATM builds are definite keepers until my passing.

• Mr Magoo, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#5864 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Mariner 2

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

Garage sale Stellar branded Towa 60mm.  Old enough to have metal focuser knobs, a finder with a coated, unobstructed doublet, aluminum lens cell, and a 2 element eyepiece, a really nice diagonal, and a wood box, but new enough to come with a 20mm huygens instead of the AH and to be packaged with partial styrofoam inserts.  All four objective surfaces appear coated, the cell and shade are both aluminum and thread on. The mount and tripod are like new and seem reasonably functional. The focuser has an internal rack which isn't making contact with the pinion.  Luckily they also had a Meade 60mm f5.9 with a couple of wide angle MA eyepieces.  Swapped focusers and collimation is good, plus there's no need for a hybrid diagonal now. It seems like a hodgepodge of nice basic components with some ugly cost cutting in the accessories. The eyepieces, barlow, and image erector are of the throw-away variety. JTII sticker looks like the 69-70 version.

Daytime images are sharp with good contrast, less fogging from internal reflections than with my 60s with only a coated first surface. 

Edit - I'm assuming it's going to be a killer: after being clear all day, just as it started getting dark, a thunderstorm rolled through.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180810_155440-01.jpeg
  • 20180810_155647-01.jpeg

Edited by sdedalus83, 10 August 2018 - 08:43 PM.

• Chuck Hards, terraclarke, walter a and 5 others like this

#5865 walter a

walter a

Ranger 4

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

Well some rust removal some paint and stain some brass screws and ss washers and my latest find is picture worthy. If you told a seller you might have to spend 30 plus hours to get a scope back in shape they might call you a liar.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1318 (370x640).jpg
  • DSCN1319 (640x480).jpg

• Paul Hyndman, Mr Magoo, memento and 11 others like this

#5866 walter a

walter a

Ranger 4

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

couple more.I included a shot of the the slow mow cable because they attach with that knurled nut rather than a thumb screw which I thought rather unique at least to me.The gear and worms recieved mobil 1 synthetic right after the pics were taken.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1320 (640x480).jpg
  • DSCN1323 (640x480).jpg

Edited by walter a, 11 August 2018 - 08:01 AM.

• starman876, Chuck Hards, terraclarke and 8 others like this

#5867 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

I don't post when new scopes leave the collection.   No thread for that.  wink.gif

Actually, you post wisely.   Next week I'm losing nearly 800 lbs. in Classic telescopes that are getting new owners.  wink.gif

That’s a good rule. It was my maxim as well. It took a while but I finally got my collection down to less than twenty, a number I can live with. It may still get a bit smaller but never any bigger.

Edited by terraclarke, 11 August 2018 - 10:17 AM.

• Mr Magoo, Chuck Hards and rcwolpert like this

#5868 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

I'm at less than 20, but I will have to reduce further as moving and downsizing will require it. 

• terraclarke and rcwolpert like this

#5869 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

Got myself a Meade 107D at the Stellafane swap tables for $100 in like-new condition with the original case. Not expecting much but I wanted a scope for my trips to NC and Hawaii.
  • terraclarke, Allanbarth1, Russell Smith and 1 other like this

#5870 G-Tower

G-Tower

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: GA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Got myself a Meade 107D at the Stellafane swap tables for $100 in like-new condition with the original case. Not expecting much but I wanted a scope for my trips to NC and Hawaii.

Does it say mirror lens or Schmidt Cassegrain.

#5871 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Mariner 2

• Loc: 76707

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

I needed a beefy mount and found this on letgo of all places.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180811_201330.jpg
  • 20180811_201108.jpg
  • 20180811_200617.jpg
  • 20180811_200802.jpg

• Deven Matlick, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 6 others like this

#5872 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

Awesome, Russell! Congrats! That's great.
  • Russell Smith likes this

#5873 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

One, actually,  plus an OTA.

I'm primarily a restorationist, not a collector for it's own sake.  The idea is to keep me busy in my "golden years".  Fix them up and move them on. 

Only my ATM builds are definite keepers until my passing.

That was my general idea but I am finding that selling at a price not based on profit but proportionate to the intrinsic value of a telescope is not easy these days. As I already let a few go at miserable prices, and found it quite frustrating. If I can not sell at a price fair to both sides I may now be forced to become more of a collector. I need to downsize due to health reasons but there is a limit in pricing below which I am not (not yet at least) willing to go. Since I have quality pieces that I can very well continue to enjoy using, rotation becomes then the path to happiness: use all you have and enjoy the variety! waytogo.gif

• walter a and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5874 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

That was my general idea but I am finding that selling at a price not based on profit but proportionate to the intrinsic value of a telescope is not easy these days. As I already let a few go at miserable prices, and found it quite frustrating. If I can not sell at a price fair to both sides I may now be forced to become more of a collector. I need to downsize due to health reasons but there is a limit in pricing below which I am not (not yet at least) willing to go. Since I have quality pieces that I can very well continue to enjoy using, rotation becomes then the path to happiness: use all you have and enjoy the variety! waytogo.gif

That’s why I have paired down to the real classics that I want to keep and have let go of most everything else, some of which I have given away or donated just to get them gone. Like Bob W, I am done with acquiring classics, I want no more of them. I have twelve classics total now of all types and no longer look at or hope to acquire any others. As for my few modern scopes, they are much easier to allow to come and go; there is a better market for one thing, and for another, depreciation is expected in buying new and selling used.

#5875 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

I needed a beefy mount and found this on letgo of all places.

Congrats Russell!

Those clamping style OTA rings sure beat up the OTA to the point of putting creases (dents) in the tube. 

I haven't heard of anyone finding poor optics in these Vixens OTAs. 

Appears you have an original MD- Vixen motor! 

Wow you can sell the motor for what you may have purchased the whole system for! 

Do you have a controller?  (MD-5)

Bill

Well done

• Russell Smith likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics