•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
7746 replies to this topic

#6376 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

funnypost.giflol.gif 

#6377 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the update       

I didnt want to like   what seems like bad news  i.e.  they arent made anymore...... I suppose one could run a want add    gladly pay a bit more to get one.....

There seem to be alternatives for folks who are way more handy than me...

Finally,   there must some optical drop off in using a  .965 to 1.25 adapter  that escapes the inexperienced ( me )  or folks would not look for better alternatives   right?

EDIT    I tracked back in the thread and found this

.....Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

You tend to get too much droop with the slide-in 1.25" extension tubes, this is the biggest reason why people abandon the slider and go with the thread-in extensions.

The chrome pipe trick worked great for me.  I added in different bushings in the focuser for the new pipe.  I have no sag at all, even all the way out.  I  was actually surprised.

still the .965 to 1.25 must be less prefered?

If there is no droop in the factory slider, a hybrid diagonal will do fine.  Many folks think that the slider is cutting off light from the image plane, but it's really the main tube baffles that constrain that.  Also many of the sliders are not blackened on the inside and contrast suffers as a result.

A lot of older scopes do include the thread-in extension but I hate to pull them out and possibly never get them back where they belong.  I have a couple of aftermarket jobs and I'm OK for now.

It wouldn't be a terribly hard job to machine one on the mini-lathe, if you started with a piece of tubing with the correct ID.  I find boring to be tougher than external machining, I don't have the biggest tool selection for my little lathe.  

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6378 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

Don JW receives another request for a Vixen 36mm thread-in extension tube (on his daughter's wedding day):

attachicon.gif JW as Godfather.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=LwJdCfofxyY

And end up with the Horsehead nebula in my bed?  No thanks.

• sarastro, davidmcgo, tim53 and 6 others like this

#6379 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:13 AM

Oh... Great!  Chuck is "muscling in" on my Family Business!

If I'm thinking right, the length of tube(s) I need for my 6336 should about equal the length that I currently pull out that 30mm drawtube; so, I think for most of my diagonals, 2 of the tubes should be enough -- with the shorter R&P available to focus most of my eyepieces.  Will have to double-check the Unihex, though.

With any of these "replace the drawtube" ideas, I gotta be careful not to lose The Thing!  Or, that Other Thing (black/gray threaded ring).  Still can't find the 6336's slo-mo cables...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 13 November 2018 - 11:16 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#6380 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

Remember that a 1.25" diagonal will eat up a bit more travel than a .965", so that helps shorten the required tube length, as well.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6381 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

In #6328, I showed a picture of what I did to my 6339a.  I used a 12" chrome pipe and added a 1¼" sleeve.  Added  a set screw and tada.  The brass sleeve is heavy but because I redid the bushings inside the focuser and there's no sag.

• Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6382 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

In #6328, I showed a picture of what I did to my 6339a.  I used a 12" chrome pipe and added a 1¼" sleeve.  Added  a set screw and tada.  The brass sleeve is heavy but because I redid the bushings inside the focuser and there's no sag.

Nice.

Most of the time, the sag is due to old, worn felt or a lost liner.

• Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#6383 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

Remember that a 1.25" diagonal will eat up a bit more travel than a .965", so that helps shorten the required tube length, as well.

True, and ditto for the Unihex.  The beauty of this is that I currently use a step-down barrel to fit the Hex to the 6336's .965" drawtube; with the Vixen hardware, I can ditch that, and get a stronger & flush fit.

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6384 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

Referencing the .965"/1.25" conversions for the Tasco 10TE refractor (and others), if you don't want to fiddle with all that's needed to make the conversion to 1.25" you might at least look for a .965" visual back with setscrews rather than the push-in type. Still a small hole but at least you can cinch things down. Photo attached. 

These are often found loose in junk boxes at astro swaps or on the end of cheap refractors that are one step away from the dump. 

Tom 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_9563.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6385 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:28 AM

Well.... I can't call myself a legitimate classics collector without a Unitron in the stable, so yesterday I scored this little gem:

https://www.cloudyni...az-mounttripod/

picking it up likely Sat AM.

• Vesper818, terraclarke, Geo31 and 6 others like this

#6386 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:35 AM

Well.... I can't call myself a legitimate classics collector without a Unitron in the stable, so yesterday I scored this little gem:

https://www.cloudyni...az-mounttripod/

picking it up likely Sat AM.

Really glad you got it Russ.  I thought of you immediately when I saw that ad.

• terraclarke likes this

#6387 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Yep, the owner is only about an hour away, which is darn near local around here..... a mere 20 minutes past the grocery store!

I'm quite excited about the Uni-hex as part of the deal!

• terraclarke and Geo31 like this

#6388 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:24 AM

Yep, the owner is only about an hour away, which is darn near local around here..... a mere 20 minutes past the grocery store!

Glad  you nabbed that one, Russ!

To this day, I can't use my Unihex when setup on concrete.  Grass only.  I still don't trust those friction-fit eyepiece holders.  Especially on the big 40mm.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#6389 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

Glad  you nabbed that one, Russ!

To this day, I can't use my Unihex when setup on concrete.  Grass only.  I still don't trust those friction-fit eyepiece holders.  Especially on the big 40mm.

If you're worried about them losing their grip, I'd get some little hose clamps and tighten them around the holder so that you can barely slide the eyepiece in and out. If you're still worried you can clamp them down with a screwdriver. I did this with my old Super Space Conqueror and it worked great.

Edited by Augustus, 15 November 2018 - 08:44 AM.

• Bomber Bob, jcruse64 and shredder1656 like this

#6390 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

If you're worried about them losing their grip, I'd get some little hose clamps and tighten them around the holder so that you can barely slide the eyepiece in and out. If you're still worried you can clamp them down with a screwdriver. I did this with my old Super Space Conqueror and it worked great.

You have to understand that I've thought of such "fixes" long ago, Zane.  :lol:

It's just not an attractive, or terribly ergonomic solution.  I'd probably buy Tony's aftermarket eyepiece holders with setscrews before I'd resort to hose clamps.

And truthfully, I don't find the Unihex to be a real observing boon, it's more of a cute gimmick.  The prism is woefully undersized for most long-focal-length eyepieces.  I think it spends more time on display in one of my Unitrons, than it gets used under the stars.

I have a Celestron MOH and it doesn't get used much either.  Too many eyepieces to try and pick four or six.  These things also add a lot of weight to small scopes and can complicate balancing.

That said, if such turrets work for you, have fun.  I know they have their devotees.

• CharlieB and Augustus like this

#6391 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

In a college/teaching environment, which is where this scope originally lived, a Unihex can be a useful tool, because it cuts way down on handling EP's, for one thing, and I'm willing to give my new one an honest try, but it may well move up onto a bigger scope than a 60, where it'll look more balanced with the scope's size.

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6392 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

In a college/teaching environment, which is where this scope originally lived, a Unihex can be a useful tool, because it cuts way down on handling EP's, for one thing, and I'm willing to give my new one an honest try, but it may well move up onto a bigger scope than a 60, where it'll look more balanced with the scope's size.

I’m happy for ya Russ! Enjoy! There’s a lot of fun packed into a small package. Remember, Johnny Carson had one. waytogo.gif

• Augustus likes this

#6393 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

I don't find the Unihex to be a real observing boon, it's more of a cute gimmick.

Heresy!!   On my LONG fracs, it's great to zoom in/out with quality individual eyepieces rather than a single Zoom Unit (nephew of Frank Zappa).

• Littlegreenman, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6394 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

I even used a Unihex on my Tasco 7TE-2 and APL Shrine Manon.

Tastron.jpg

I had a VB that threaded into the Unihex, and a small section of 1¼" tube.

Edited by Garyth64, 15 November 2018 - 01:29 PM.

• photiost, Bomber Bob, Augustus and 2 others like this

#6395 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

Congrats on the Unitron  and such a good deal. That seller is as honest as they come. He is a good guy and he has spent time helping me along.

No doubt you folks have 4 wheel drive up there...for picking up groceries and classic scopes

• roscoe likes this

#6396 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

I even used a Unihex on my Tasco 7TE-2 and APL Shrine Manon.

attachicon.gif Tastron.jpg

I had a VB that threaded into the Unihex, and a small section of 1¼" tube.

I tried the Hex on my Swift 838.... talk about balance problems!!

• terraclarke and Garyth64 like this

#6397 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:00 PM

It's just not an attractive, or terribly ergonomic solution.  ...

It all looks purty in the dark Chuck.  wink.gif

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#6398 BillShakes

BillShakes

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central New Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

A recent eBay rescue.  Nice Bushnell Sky Chief Jr.  Complete outfit minus the sun filter (which was present, but cracked, so I destroyed it).  I always liked the hammered silver finish and dark blue accent color on this model.  Star test puts it at equal to the Shrine Manon in my collection - which is very good.

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

Edited by BillShakes, 16 November 2018 - 05:34 PM.

• Mr Magoo, rolo, CharlieB and 7 others like this

#6399 BillShakes

BillShakes

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central New Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

A few close ups:

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

Posed with its older brother, the Shrine Manon

IMG_8057.jpg

• sarastro, Mr Magoo, rolo and 10 others like this

#6400 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

That’s a really pretty Sky Chief Bill. Congratulations! I always liked those. I love the blue and silver color combo.

• BillShakes likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics