•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
7194 replies to this topic

#6726 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:51 PM

For Goodwill auctions requiring pick-up, is it best to pay in advance and then pick it up or is it better to bring cash and pay at the time of receipt of the goods? I haven't won a Goodwill auction before, not sure of about the procedure for pickup. I wonder if I can have a friend pick it up for me? Any advice?

#6727 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

For Goodwill auctions requiring pick-up, is it best to pay in advance and then pick it up or is it better to bring cash and pay at the time of receipt of the goods? I haven't won a Goodwill auction before, not sure of about the procedure for pickup. I wonder if I can have a friend pick it up for me? Any advice?

I've won a couple, but never a pickup. There should be a link for the specific Goodwill shop selling the item. You can call them direct and I'm sure they can provide you with information. Another option is to create a Customer Service ticket and ask your questions. They seem to be pretty good about answering. Just remember you only have seven days to pay, at least that's how it was for my last win. Different stores may have different polices.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#6728 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

Goto Model 106 EQ -- at least 25 pounds (without the counterweights) with a 1-foot ruler for scale.  Some paint nicks, but the chrome is mint, and the motions are smooooth!

Goto 106 EQ S01.jpg  Goto 106 EQ S03.jpg

• rolo, astro140, Dave Trott and 14 others like this

#6729 Astrolite

Astrolite

Messenger

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:01 PM

I have been looking for a 50mm x 500mm telescope ever since a deal on a Hy-Score branded model 457 fell through late last year. I am meeting with the owner of this telescope Monday evening and will hopefully be adding it to my collection. It's very similar to the many brands that are out there but I have never seen one branded Sans & Streiffe and certainly not this color. The owner says the color is original, he knows that because the original owner was a friend he grew up with. Hopefully there will be some history to go along with the telescope. Also can't find any reference to the Model 605. Anyone seen one like this before? I'll start a thread on this if I am lucky enough to score tomorrow.

49787296_1872505416206347_4412843884619497472_n.jpg

50051923_1872505826206306_4224393248090619904_n.jpg

• tim53, rolo, CharlieB and 12 others like this

#6730 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Astrolite! I'll give that a try.

P.S. Am I the only one seeing shill bidding with Goodwill auctions?

#6731 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Astrolite! I'll give that a try.

P.S. Am I the only one seeing shill bidding with Goodwill auctions?

How can you tell it's shill bidding?

#6732 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

They bid right up to your maximum and stop and on lots of different auctions at the same store, but I can't seem to find one of these bidders bidding at another store (like it's an employee at the store doing it). If it goes over your max, it's typically only by a small amount (like $1). If there are no other bids and one of these bidders wins, they are almost always relisted in a couple of days (not the 7 days they wait for a real bidder to pay). All could have totally reasonable explanations, just seems fishy to me which was why I was inquiring. Waiting until the last minute to bid might be a good policy to have with these auctions, minimizes any problems with shill bids.

Edited by agmoonsolns, 16 February 2019 - 05:21 PM.

#6733 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Also, when I Googled this, it turned up a lot of results for Goodwill and shill bidding:

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Apparently, it's rampant.

#6734 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Goto Model 106 EQ -- at least 25 pounds (without the counterweights) with a 1-foot ruler for scale.  Some paint nicks, but the chrome is mint, and the motions are smooooth!

attachicon.gif Goto 106 EQ S01.jpg attachicon.gif Goto 106 EQ S03.jpg

GOTO built the best scopes ever back in the days.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6735 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

I hate to admit this, but I have run into a couple of really crappy Questars too (optically). One from 1972, another from 1986, and the worst one of the bunch from the late 1950s (not mine thank goodness). I have also seen some stunning Questars too.

Overall, I think most are excellent when properly maintained, but there have been some units going out the door with absolutely atrocious optics. I have no idea if any years are better than others. I think what happens is Questar probably doesn't test the optics and so if they get a bad set from Cumberland, it goes right out to the customer without anyone knowing unless they test them..

I am currently trying to fix up a Standard from the 1960s with truly exceptional optics. If anyone has legs or an old case, please let me know.

I made the mistake of not bidding on the correct vintage Questar on AM because another bidder promised to sell me those parts if I would stop bidding and let him win it. I did and as soon as he won it for a shockingly low price (I was prepared to bid almost double what he paid), he then emails me and tells me to look elsewhere as he wouldn't be selling me those items (as he had specifically promised he would in writing). In all of my years, I have never seen anyone in this hobby act with such a lack of honor and integrity to straight out lie/break their promise in writing to get what they wanted. The silly thing is if he had been honest and just said, Hey, I really want this, could you please not bid on it? I would have agreed. I mention this to warn people there are some pretty dishonest and unscrupulous Questar people here on CN (some very prominent who play off of their position to get what they want) and to just simply be careful.

Never, ever take someone at their word no matter how many posts they've made or stars they have. Make sure you always protect yourself and look at everything from a worst case scenario assuming the other person is deliberately planning to scr*w you over. Don't let what happened to me happen to you.

I have an old case. PM me.

#6736 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

attachicon.gif Goto 106 EQ S01.jpg attachicon.gif Goto 106 EQ S03.jpg

Cast-iron housings.  Not aluminum!

• TerryWood and Bomber Bob like this

#6737 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:28 AM

Advice: Read the policy(ies) on SGW, bottom of the 'item info' tab for an item is a good place to start, but generally: You have to pay in advance within 7 days, pick it up yourself (primary account holder) within 14 - but check local p/u policy for your specific GW store.

See also: Help - Shipping - Can items be picked up from the seller location to save on shipping costs?

Take what you read thru that link you provided, positive and negative, with a grain of salt. There are many angry flippers out there. 

Read the description & study the pictures closely.

Never bid an amount you won't be comfortable paying (and shills won't matter much).

Always check shipping before bidding.

Shills don't pop up often for scopes (< 1:100 in my experience). Fellow astronomizers do.  

Accept from the start you will not always win.

Pick your battles wisely.

Walk away if bidding goes silly/shilly.

You get no retractions, no returns on SGW.

Assume nothing.

Ask when in doubt before bidding.

Bid the market, not the moment. Do not participate in a 'bid war'.

Pay thru PayPal.

You get better accountability from CN, AM, eBay.

Cheers.

Edited by AstroKerr, 19 February 2019 - 06:30 AM.

#6738 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

I had a friend pick up a scope for me in Indy, we had no trouble with the GW there.  But I bet they are all not the same, and I would ask them if you can have someone else pick it up for you, before you bid.

#6739 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

Were are creeping away from scope finds to sales sites again.  Just a friendly reminder.  Thanks.

• terraclarke, BillShakes and AstroKerr like this

#6740 Augustus

Augustus

Stardust Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

I bought this 50mm finder.

https://www.cloudyni...inder-circle-v/

It will make a fine addition to my orange C8.

Edited by Augustus, 21 February 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• tim53, ScottAstroNut, TerryWood and 8 others like this

#6741 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:01 AM

I need some validation that I did the right thing, lol. I just spent a boatload on a new transmission for my jeep and have no business buying more scope stuff right now, but...you know...the pull...

So, I've been looking for a Vixen Great Polaris DX for a while and lo and behold I found one tonight from Camera Concepts (out of Long Island, NY) and decided to spend more money. I don't see them often for sale and this came with the RA and DEC motors, DD-1 hand controller, and what looks like a home built tripod. The asking price was $395 which I thought was pretty good. Validate my decision please!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3128.JPG
  • IMG_3126.JPG
  • IMG_3127.JPG

Edited by TerryWood, 21 February 2019 - 01:10 AM.

• Littlegreenman, photiost, rolo and 6 others like this

#6742 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:10 AM

excellent deal Terry. One my all time favorites!

• TerryWood likes this

#6743 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

Thanks Rolo! I just hope there's no hidden gremlins. The price seemed lower than I expected, but I'm not complaining! I really want to pair it up with my Tele Vue Genesis f/5. I think it would be a neat combo and allow for some imaging without bringing out a much bigger mount. By the way, they also had a Celestron CI-700 (Losmandy GM-11) for $400. It's listed as incomplete, but I think it's only missing the hand controller, though I could be wrong.

https://camera-conce...ssing-hand.html

It would awesome, but really too heavy for me to deal with on a regular basis.

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 21 February 2019 - 01:40 AM.

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#6744 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

• Loc: Winterport, Maine

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:31 AM

Here is a silver-tubed Edmund Voyager 60mm f/8 achromatic refractor I recently picked up off of CN. It came only partially complete with a missing fork and cradle. It also came without a diagonal or any other accessories. 

The scope is surprisingly robust in build and was reputed to have fine optics, so I added a Vixen dovetail bar (using existing mounting holes) to the optical tube to allow it to be mounted atop my Orion SkyView Pro mount, since it was missing a mount anyway. I also added an older Celestron prism diagonal. As you can see, the scope is more than adequately mounted (there is no such thing as overkill in mounting, at least in my opinion), and the availability of a good clock drive makes viewing a pleasure at the higher magnifications of which this scope is capable.

I've only had one observing session with the scope, but was quite pleased with the scope. The focusing is fairly smooth for a straight-cut rack and pinion focuser, and it is nice to have sure focusing, as opposed to the roller-type focusers found on other Edmund telescopes of the same vintage, such as the Astroscan or the 4.25" or 6" red-tube Newtonians of the mid-80's. The roller-type focusers have a tendency to slip as the rubber roller mechanism ages and begins to deteriorate. The 5X24mm finderscope, although a bit on the small side, is clear and sharp. The adjustment of the finder is a bit funky, as the finder rides inside of cam-like plastic collars that rotate within metal rings. You rotate the plastic rings until the cross hairs line up with the main scope. Kind of weird, but it works.

Optically, the scope is no slouch. As I had read in previous reports of this model telescope, the optics are sharp with good color correction. I could certainly see some purple at the edges of the nearly full moon, but the amount of color was less than I had been expecting for such a fast achromat. More importantly, the image was sharp with good contrast. Craters along the terminator were well-resolved with good control of light scatter. One thing I enjoy doing with small refractors is to look at the full moon not for craters but to observe the ray systems. This requires good contrast to see well, however, and the Voyager gave great views with very good resolution of low-contrast features. Stars in the Voyager further revealed the quality of the lens, as stellar images were tight pinpoints that snapped well into focus. Even at relatively low magnifications, the stars of the Trapezium were well resolved, and at higher magnifications the multiple stars remained pinpoint and the view more impressive. Despite the nearly full moon, a modest amount of nebulosity was visible around the Trapezium, again testifying to the contrast of the lens.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the performance of the Edmund Voyager. Although I am not normally fan of refractors below 3" in aperture, I predict that this fine little scope is going to get used quite a bit as a fantastic grab-and-go setup. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Edmund Silver Voyager Pic 1.jpg
  • Edmund Silver Voyager Pic 2.jpg
  • Edmund Silver Voyager Pic 3.jpg

• akman1955, TerryWood, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#6745 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

I need some validation that I did the right thing, lol. I just spent a boatload on a new transmission for my jeep and have no business buying more scope stuff right now, but...you know...the pull...

So, I've been looking for a Vixen Great Polaris DX for a while and lo and behold I found one tonight from Camera Concepts (out of Long Island, NY) and decided to spend more money. I don't see them often for sale and this came with the RA and DEC motors, DD-1 hand controller, and what looks like a home built tripod. The asking price was $395 which I thought was pretty good. Validate my decision please!

V/R

Terry

Good buy with the motors.

• TerryWood likes this

#6746 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

Terry, good catch on the Vixen GP-DX! Fantastic mount, and I can certainly validate that you made the right choice!

The tripod to me looks like one made by "Al's Astro." These were fine quality replacements for the less robust legs on such mounts that included a very nice spreader system that added much to the stability of the tripod. Another fine catch! Sadly these tripods are no longer available.

That mount is going to work superbly with your Tele Vue Genesis!

• TerryWood likes this

#6747 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

Here's another Edmund Voyager telescope I picked up, this time a full-blown model 6001.

Not much to say about this telescope except that it is in excellent condition. I haven't tried this scope yet, but I suspect it will perform pretty much the same as the silver-tubed Voyager I described a couple of posts ago.

The mount is surprisingly well-designed and solid, more than enough for casual use with the scope, especially when used terrestrially. The included Amici prism is a bit cheesy, but I will replace that with a good prism or mirror diagonal for astronomical work anyway.

My prediction is that the silver-tubed Voyager I recently picked up will be a workhouse scope, getting used and going places, whereas this classic red-tubed model most of the time will sit proudly displayed with my other Edmund scopes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Voyager 6001 Pic 1.jpg
  • Voyager 6001 Pic 2.jpg

• Compressorguy, akman1955, Dave Trott and 7 others like this

#6748 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:53 AM

A couple more pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• Voyager 6001 Pic 3.jpg
  • Voyager 6001 Pic 4.jpg

• akman1955, TerryWood, terraclarke and 6 others like this

#6749 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:12 AM

One thing I find interesting regarding the two Voyager telescopes I just described is that the silver-tubed one has a metal focuser housing that looks to have been sand-cast, whereas the metalwork on the red-tubed model is clearly die-cast. The focuser housing on the silver Voyager has definite machining marks, where it looks like a grinder was used to knock down a couple of rough edges, which is what leads me to think that the assembly is sand-cast. It also just has that sand-cast "feel" to it. What I find odd about this is that I would have assumed the silver-tubed Voyager to be a later model to the red-tubed one, in which case I would have expected the focuser to be die-cast. The silver-tubed Voyager originally came on a fork-equatorial mounting on a tripod. I have the tripod, which still has the metal housing for the R.A. bearing and attaches the scope to the tripod, and this piece appears to be sand-cast as well. 

Anyone with more knowledge on the subject than I have care to chime in? Thanks!

• akman1955 and TerryWood like this

#6750 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

$400 for a Vixen Great Polaris DX?  You did very well indeed!

I was shopping for a green SP or GP to carry my Vixen FL80S when I got the Tak EM-1S.  Prices I found were much more than what you paid -- and without the motor drives.  Based on the imagery from other GP owners, I think you'll be happy with the tracking.

• TerryWood likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics