•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
7188 replies to this topic

#7051 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:53 AM

Chuck-

I am confident you are going to love the views through you lovely Jaegers 4 inch! It is a handsome instrument indeed on its equatorial mount and graceful pier. To me, that's what a refractor is supposed to look like! Noble and majestic.

Please give us some viewing reports when you can. 

Love it!

Steve

• Chuck Hards and AstroKerr like this

#7052 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

It was clouds and rain all weekend, Steve, and I'm back at work today so can't stay up for the next four nights.  I have to be in bed before it's even dark outside.  Hoping I can at least look at the sun with it before the weekend, if the weather cooperates.

#7053 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

Turns out the main tube of the Jaegers is 4" OD, not 4.25".  I found pair of 100mm Orion rings, stripped out the factory felt and installed self-adhesive flocked paper (Edmund).  It gained just enough room to let the rings fit.  I got a different Losmandy plate than the first one I picked up, found one I started to sand-down for a repaint some years ago. 

So it's all mounted up on my old Jaegers mount with clock-drive, on a tall pedestal that I made from a steel fencepost.  The original Jaegers feet are used.  This arrangement puts the tube above my eye level when pointed directly horizontal, but ideal for everything else above a few degrees.

Can't wait to try it out- but last night was cloudy, and it's raining right now as thunderstorms roll-through, one after another with just a few brief minutes in between each.  So you'll have to wait for the observing report and I'm more upset about that than you are, I'm sure.  lol.gif  

Here's a few pics of it ready to go, set up in the garage.  The shiny aluminum part is the adapter I turned to attach the Losmandy saddle.  I'm going to just break down and get a pair of Parallax 4" rings, they are so much more robust than these rings.  But the Orion will do for now.  

attachicon.gif 008a.jpg attachicon.gif 007a.jpg attachicon.gif 009a.jpg

Those cables are something I have never seen before.

Stock or an add on?

• AstroKerr likes this

#7054 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

Those cables are something I have never seen before.

Stock or an add on?

The Jaegers mount was originally on a 24" pier, for a 6" Newtonian.  I am the original owner, built it for a friend who used it for a number of years before he traded it back to me.  

I converted it to refractor use by adding the tall galvanized steel pier.  The guy wires are also my addition to keep things centered.  The pier is too tall to function without them.   I also replaced the stock Dec shaft with a longer one.

My eventual goal is to mount it on a tall wooden tripod, which will vibrate less than a steel pier.

• Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#7055 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Great idea. waytogo.gif

Looking forward to seeing the tripod.

Edited by Russell Smith, 22 April 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#7056 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

Just picked up this 60mm refractor this afternoon from Ottawa Kijiji for $30.00 CAD. Bought from the original owner who got it in the 1980s. It's a Japanese made scope (Diamond Z logo), with tripod, three lenses, a diagonal and a terrestrial 1.5X inverter. Kind of a cheesy orange colour, but whatever. I'm not sure yet how the optics are, but for $30.00 how bad could it be?

P 20190425 165427
P 20190425 165501
P 20190425 165820
P 20190425 165524

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, walter a and 3 others like this

#7057 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

Just picked up this 60mm refractor this afternoon from Ottawa Kijiji for $30.00 CAD. Bought from the original owner who got it in the 1980s. It's a Japanese made scope (Diamond Z logo), with tripod, three lenses, a diagonal and a terrestrial 1.5X inverter. Kind of a cheesy orange colour, but whatever. I'm not sure yet how the optics are, but for $30.00 how bad could it be?

The orange color will grow on you. Resistance is futile. 

Should do well at low power. That has been my experience with the diamond Z scopes I have been able to use. 

Edited by Russell Smith, 25 April 2019 - 06:37 PM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7058 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

It's a Japanese made scope (Diamond Z logo)

IME, Tanzutsu refractors are good at low to medium powers.  The OTAs often use more plastic than Towa, and the metal castings tend to be lighter.

• Russell Smith likes this

#7059 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

Try it with better eyepieces. Having tried something from the same manufacturer, I was surprised at its performance. It’s not Zeiss, but.....

• AstroKerr likes this

#7060 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:59 AM

The three eyepieces that came with the Tanzutsu (maybe I should call it "Tangerine" because of the colour) are Tanzutsu 6mm and 12.5mm, and a Celestron Kellner 18mm. I have a .965" to 1.25" adapter for my other scope, and a good set of 1.25" eyepieces. I'll see what works best.

There is also a solar filter that screws into the Tanzutsu eyepieces, but I am assuming it is a blinding waiting to happen.

About the 1.5X terrestrial inverter, not caring about whether the image is inverted or not, could it work as a low power Barlow?

Edited by Senex Bibax, 26 April 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#7061 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

It certainly could work as a lower power barlow, but it would also add poor quality to image train. Your 18mm Celestron would be a fine eyepiece. The adapter would be your best option IMO. Clear and steady skies.......

#7062 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

With heavy rain today and tomorrow, even possibly mixed with wet snow, it will be a few days before I can give it a first look, unfortunately.

It certainly could work as a lower power barlow, but it would also add poor quality to image train. Your 18mm Celestron would be a fine eyepiece. The adapter would be your best option IMO. Clear and steady skies.......

• AstroKerr likes this

#7063 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

I was wondering that too. I did a quick Ronchi tonight. I think if it is a sphere you get straight bars? Anyway that is what I saw.

If you were up to grinding and figuring a meniscus corrector, that would make one helluva long focus Mak Newt.

-Tim.

• Littlegreenman, PeriodicTrends and AstroKerr like this

#7064 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:54 AM

Holmar as sold:

HolmarPaidFor.jpg

Holmar as received:

HolmarReceived.jpg

The package rattled, loudly, as I carried it inside. I cut the tape to open the box end and slid the case out. The case was shimmed into the shipping box with 1/8th inch cardboard and wrapped about the middle 2/3rds with 1/8th inch bubble mat.

I flipped the latches and opened it. My heart sank. I sighed. This happens sometimes when a telescope is shipped. I stopped and got the camera. I took a series of pictures without moving a thing. I stepped away. I transferred the pics.

I'll perform a proper, thorough examination in the morning and assess damage as referenced to the listing photos. With over two hundred scopes, I have seen worse once, equivalent twice. Our 2% failure rate could be worse - serves one well at such times to remember that it could almost always be worse. Fortunately, eBay and PayPal have ways to address this, calmly, if need be. 

meh.  well.  bother.  drat.  off to bed, then - I'll get the light...

Edited by AstroKerr, 27 April 2019 - 03:15 PM.

• wfj, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#7065 walter a

walter a

Messenger

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:52 AM

Sad to see,  a loose counter weight is never a good sign hopefully there is not to much damage. I was lucky and just needed  some glue.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0064 (640x480).jpg

Edited by walter a, 28 April 2019 - 05:10 AM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7066 Garyth64

Garyth64

Gemini

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

It's just not right.

I have had fairly good luck in the many scopes I have purchased.  I did get one that rattled when I picked it up and set it on a table.  One finger joint corner was broken.  It wasn't packed well, and it came from GW.

Recently, I sent two scopes, in different packages to one person.  Both I felt were very well packed and secured. Both were "encased" with 2" of Styrofoam.  Both were damaged when they arrived at the seller.  I guess if the delivery guys throw one, they could throw two.   I mean how friggin  far did they drop or toss them?

• AstroKerr likes this

#7067 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:40 AM

That’s why I only buy from fellow amateurs! Heirs, salvors, flippers, and vultures are NOT reliable. Nor is the shipping from second hand ‘charity’ outfits!
  • Mr Magoo, wfj, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#7068 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

Holmar as sold:

Holmar as received:

The package rattled, loudly, as I carried it inside. I cut the tape to open the box end and slid the case out. The case was shimmed into the shipping box with 1/8th inch cardboard and wrapped about the middle 2/3rds with 1/8th inch bubble mat.

I flipped the latches and opened it. My heart sank. I sighed. This happens sometimes when a telescope is shipped by someone who just doesn't care. I stopped and got the camera. I took a series of pictures without moving a thing. I stepped away. I transferred the pics.

I'll perform a proper, thorough examination in the morning and assess damage as referenced to the listing photos. With over two hundred scopes, I have seen worse once, equivalent twice. Our 2% "seller failed to properly secure contents" rate could be worse - serves one well at such times to remember that it could almost always be worse. Fortunately, eBay and PayPal have ways to address this, and it shall be addressed - calmly. 

I remember posting that ad here. I hope its not as bad as it looks.

Edited by rolo, 27 April 2019 - 09:26 AM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7069 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

I remember posting that ad here. I hope its not as bad as it looks.

Looks like things went clunker roo to me.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7070 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for the commiseration =)  I'm being whiny, but I'll get right and 'get to it' shortly.

These things happen - some non-astronomers are a risk, true. I've been fortunate to have had very few fails from SGW & eBay non-astros, and I am grateful for that. As mentioned, astronomizers just don't do this sort of thing - loose CWs and the like. My eyes are griefing me this morning - so Sybil's going to do the inspection for me.

You know, I generally don't pickup 'collectables' with decent cases and most of the accessories - I really just like the OTAs and sometimes the mounts - but this had intact internals and most of the accessories - not a bad case and we've history with the Phoenix branch of the AZHS, so this seemed good chance happening? 

But that's life, isn't it? It isn't always peachy or pretty or sweet, but it is seldom as bad as it could be, and we must always be cognizant of that. Damaged brackets can be fixed, dings removed, pieces reassembled, touched-up. I got this with Ripper-roo the Red Dog in mind, so I think I'm not going to let it be spoilt - that dog and this scope came, I believe, from the same place (Rip from the kennels, this from the thrift store) and I'm very, very glad we picked Ripper up instead of having him shipped (winky.gif) - should've picked this scope up as we did him. He was a fine friend and I do miss him a great deal - some of that sadness has apparently transferred to the state of the scope, making seem a bit worse than it probably is.

As always, Clear Skies, Sharp Eyes (even me, shortly) & Please Enjoy a Safe and FuN week-end!!

Rolo - waytogo.gif

Edited by AstroKerr, 27 April 2019 - 07:48 PM.

• jcruse64 and agmoonsolns like this

#7071 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Vixen Polaris EQ + RA Drive + Wood Tripod -->  https://www.ebay.com...5.c100009.m1982

It's missing the c/w shaft & weight(s), but has the original 5-pin polar axis drive.

Exactly as you said. He didn't have the other parts. Minor bonus in that one of the leg bolts was actually a hub bolt with the larger wing nut. I had one with a leg bolt in place of a hub bolt.

Swapped, and they're both as they should. A bit compulsive I'll grant, but nice when things work right.

Don't have a Vixen controller for the polar axis drive, so no way to check. But the bracket/coupler works with another 9V battery drive just fine.

Thanks JW for the spot. FWIW, that guy on eBay is a good guy, but this kind of thing wouldn't work out on shipping/other, no matter amount.
  • Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#7072 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

Holmar as sold:

HolmarPaidFor.jpg

Holmar as received:

HolmarReceived.jpg

I flipped the latches and opened it. My heart sank. I sighed. This happens sometimes when a telescope is shipped by someone who just doesn't care. I stopped and got the camera. I took a series of pictures without moving a thing. I stepped away. I transferred the pics.

I'll perform a proper, thorough examination in the morning and assess damage as referenced to the listing photos. With over two hundred scopes, I have seen worse once, equivalent twice. Our 2% "seller failed to properly secure contents" rate could be worse - serves one well at such times to remember that it could almost always be worse. Fortunately, eBay and PayPal have ways to address this, and it shall be addressed - calmly. 

Sorry about your experience.

I was very attracted/tempted by that scope. When I saw they added shipping to the listing there were two reasons (among others), I didn't hit the buy button.

1. I didn't like how both the dew shield and visual back were right up against the the ends of the box.

2. These Circle K scopes use a very heavy box and a drop/blow on the end can knock out the dividers.

Here's how I know:

Thanks-FedEx.jpg

Kenko-Box-Dividers.jpg

In my case, I got lucky as the scope was still clamped in the dividers which still sort of held most of the contents in place.

Therefore, there was no damage to the scope.

p.s. when I glued it back together, I supported the side of the dividers with screws. Which some boxes of this type have.

Edited by Kasmos, 27 April 2019 - 12:48 PM.

• AstroKerr and agmoonsolns like this

#7073 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

SGW can be a mixed bag and you can never tell which stores are going to ship carefully. I recently purchased two photo tripods from two different SGW stores - one was packed extremely professionally and the other was just put inside a box with a small amount of brown paper. It was literally banging around inside the box as the delivery guy walked up the drive with it. I have seen this time after time with them too - some are great while others are terrible and you never know which one you're getting. That's why I specifically put a note to the seller and pay with Paypal stating item must be packed so that no items inside box can move or bang into any other parts and auction item must be received in the same condition as shown in the auction. I find they take more care with packaging when I do that. Not really a problem for me anymore as it seems people are way overbidding on SGW auctions and so I am not really using the site much anymore.

• Kasmos and AstroKerr like this

#7074 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Apollo

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

Maybe, you could think of the Holmar as a fun and exciting new restoration project that will really engage your mind? I am so terribly sorry this happened to you. I have been there too many times and it's heartbreaking to see a beautiful scope damaged due to careless packaging. Assess and document the damage and then try to get a partial or full refund (whatever you think is best). If possible, try to perform CPR on the equipment to see if it all can be brought back to life better than before. Restoring old scopes can be very satisfying even though the initial shock can be very painful.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7075 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

The Holmar is still awesome. I would be very upset about its (delivered in) state but also just happy to bring it into the fold.
  • AstroKerr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics