•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
7909 replies to this topic

#7176 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

The top of a tree about 200yds away ...attachicon.gif IMG_1301 (Medium).jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1277 (Medium).jpeg
  • IMG_1290 (Medium).jpeg

• rolo, Pete W, ScottAstroNut and 2 others like this

#7177 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

You already fell in love didn't you?
(I would also)

#7178 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

You already fell in love didn't you?
(I would also)

Yes, I'm hooked..smile.gif I also have a 8" f/5 Astrola that needs restored;I had its primary mirror re-coated last year.It's still on hold;a day is only 24 hrs...smile.gif It deserves to see the stars again.

Edited by Venetia2004, 12 May 2019 - 04:25 PM.

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#7179 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:06 AM

Update.... Last night after aligning the optics and the mount I took a look at the moon  and at a few deep sky objects. This little scope has very good optics ;I was surprised since the secondary is glued on its holder  and the glue is not flexible-after 50+ years  smile.gif I used a 4mm eyepiece for star test and I could not notice any difference in patterns in/out of focus. With various Plossl and  Ortho eyepieces the moon looked very crisp and I could easily find  M13,M92 and M3 without a finder. I have not used the AC synchro. motor yet since I need an isolation transformer for the first time power up but I will soon give a try just to see how it tracks. I planed to to look at Saturn, and Jupiter in the morning but it got cloudy over night. This little scope will probably perform very well under real dark skies.I'm very pleased.

Now that is a stable looking setup - nice match, V!

• Venetia2004 likes this

#7180 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

Just picked up a B&Lomb 80mm 800mm (model 8080 I think) 

In excellent condition, very well built, 18mm + 30mm eyepiece icluded, sharp images of the Hydro tower about 2 kms away, will have to test tonight or when the clouds clear.

Super compact will fit nicely in my camera case ... surprise, no image shift on this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• B&L 80mm IMG_0451.JPG
  • B&L 80mm IMG_0452.JPG

• Venetia2004, memento, deepwoods1 and 2 others like this

#7181 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

Made a wood adapter so I can use with my spare Unitron 114 mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• B&L 80mm IMG_0454.JPG
  • B&L 80mm IMG_0455.JPG
  • B&L 80mm IMG_0453.JPG

Edited by photiost, 14 May 2019 - 02:25 PM.

• Venetia2004, rolo, deepwoods1 and 5 others like this

#7182 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Beveled adapter can also be used with a standard CG5 mount/saddle or similar

Attached Thumbnails

• B&L 80mm IMG_0456.JPG

• Venetia2004, rolo and Bomber Bob like this

#7183 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Update.... Last night after aligning the optics and the mount I took a look at the moon  and at a few deep sky objects. This little scope has very good optics ;I was surprised since the secondary is glued on its holder  and the glue is not flexible-after 50+ years  smile.gif I used a 4mm eyepiece for star test and I could not notice any difference in patterns in/out of focus. With various Plossl and  Ortho eyepieces the moon looked very crisp and I could easily find  M13,M92 and M3 without a finder. I have not used the AC synchro. motor yet since I need an isolation transformer for the first time power up but I will soon give a try just to see how it tracks. I planed to to look at Saturn, and Jupiter in the morning but it got cloudy over night. This little scope will probably perform very well under real dark skies.I'm very pleased.

That is a great  scope.  Sort of reminds of the recent Vixen models that are the same size.  Love the pier type mount.

• Venetia2004 likes this

#7184 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

That is a great  scope.  Sort of reminds of the recent Vixen models that are the same size.  Love the pier type mount.

Those little Chinese Vixen 5” F5 Newtonians get really good reviews. Ed Ting raved about his, (other than the idiosyncratic 1.25” focuser with the riser).
  • Venetia2004 and rolo like this

#7185 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

Picked up a Tasco 10TE today down in Austin.   The good news is that the OTA is in good shape.  The objective looks brand new, and even comes with the "trash can" cover.  The tube has some cosmetic scratches but no dents.  

The bad news is that there's no box, and the tripod and mount are missing a few important things:

• No tray,
  • No metal "tabs" on the tripod legs that would attach to the tray,
  • No eyepieces except a 20mm ramsden (the diagonal is in reasonable shape),
  • No solar projection equipment,
  • No Dec locking knob, but I can probably use the azimuth adjustment knob
  • the counterweight shaft is also quite rusty

The serial number is 670454...would anyone know the rough age?  The finder has a small silver oval inspection sticker "PASSED Japan Telescope Inspection Institute."

Attached Thumbnails

• tasco Focuser.jpg
  • tasco objective.jpg
  • tasco finder.jpg

• astro140, Chuck Hards, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#7186 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

I was in contact with the seller on that tasco. You scored. Congratulations.
Steve can give more info on age etc.
I'm only a little envious. Congrats again on a nice score.

#7187 Pete W

Pete W

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

I texted the seller yesterday and stopped by this morning.  She told me I was the first to contact her, though when I arrived this morning she mentioned there was someone else interested if I didn’t take  it.  I hope I didn’t swoop in and steal it from you. confused1.gif

• Russell Smith likes this

#7188 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

I was working and a good drive away. You got it fair and square.  PM me if you want to let it go.

Wink wink.

#7189 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

Found this in the bay.  Seller wanted way too much for it so we haggled a bit and I got it for what I had left in my PayPal account.  It came with a Unitron R25mm eyepiece.  Despite the engraving, at first I thought it could be a Cassegrain focuser, but thanks to CN member tim53, I'm convinced that it's from a 131C.   Cave sometimes used Unitron focusers for Cassegrains but of course they didn't use a baffle.  Comparison photos from the Unitron History Website pretty much seal the deal.   I've never seen the internals of a folded Unitron so seeing this baffle is a bit of a treat.

Unitron Cass focuser 001.jpg

• tim53, rolo, CharlieB and 9 others like this

#7190 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

Found this in the bay.  Seller wanted way too much for it so we haggled a bit and I got it for what I had left in my PayPal account.  It came with a Unitron R25mm eyepiece.  Despite the engraving, at first I thought it could be a Cassegrain focuser, but thanks to CN member tim53, I'm convinced that it's from a 131C.   Cave sometimes used Unitron focusers for Cassegrains but of course they didn't use a baffle.  Comparison photos from the Unitron History Website pretty much seal the deal.   I've never seen the internals of a folded Unitron so seeing this baffle is a bit of a treat.

attachicon.gif Unitron Cass focuser 001.jpg

I saw that and also thought it was way too much. I believe the same seller had some other overpriced Unitron parts. Good to hear they were willing to negotiate. I always wonder how some sellers come up with a price?

#7191 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

I always wonder how some sellers come up with a price?

Guesstrology?  [Kaboom boom ding!  I'll be here all week -- try the veal.]

• TerryWood and Esso2112 like this

#7192 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

I thought it would be good to share a find I had a couple of weeks ago a C-5 with the original case and some of the paperwork at the incredibly low price of $30!  It popped in via Craigslist and had to immediately beg the wife to let me run out and get it.  The family didn't know how to use it nor had a tripod.  They had a Bushnell Newtonian they were also trying to sell me for about $15.

I haven't been able to use it much - rainy and overcast weather for far too long here in San Diego surprisingly.  Hopefully, the weather cooperates Memorial Day weekend when I head up to the nearby mountains in Julian.

I purchased a similar C5 back in October last year with a Manfrotto tripod and head for $100.  Unfortunately, that C5 was my first Schmidt–Cassegrain and the front corrector lens was a little loose so I think I accidentally shifted it out of collimation.  I'm still having difficulty aligning it, so in the meantime, I have my new one to use.  Does anyone know of a service in the San Diego area that will colliminate SCT's?

IMG_3590.JPG IMG_3587.JPG

• George N, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#7193 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Apparently there are some spacers that go around the corrector plate under the retainer ring on the C5 and there were some models that the spacers fall apart and that allows the corrector plate to move and not stay collimated or centered.  If you haven't already, you may look to replace the spacers or have them replaced.  You may also be able to find a CNer or other astronomy person in the know to help you with collimation and or repair in your area.  

Vaughn

I thought it would be good to share a find I had a couple of weeks ago a C-5 with the original case and some of the paperwork at the incredibly low price of $30!  It popped in via Craigslist and had to immediately beg the wife to let me run out and get it.  The family didn't know how to use it nor had a tripod.  They had a Bushnell Newtonian they were also trying to sell me for about $15.

I haven't been able to use it much - rainy and overcast weather for far too long here in San Diego surprisingly.  Hopefully, the weather cooperates Memorial Day weekend when I head up to the nearby mountains in Julian.

I purchased a similar C5 back in October last year with a Manfrotto tripod and head for $100.  Unfortunately, that C5 was my first Schmidt–Cassegrain and the front corrector lens was a little loose so I think I accidentally shifted it out of collimation.  I'm still having difficulty aligning it, so in the meantime, I have my new one to use.  Does anyone know of a service in the San Diego area that will colliminate SCT's?

attachicon.gif IMG_3590.JPGattachicon.gif IMG_3587.JPG

Edited by Bagwell, 21 May 2019 - 10:07 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#7194 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

attachicon.gif IMG_3590.JPGattachicon.gif IMG_3587.JPG

There are various threads in the Cats and Casses forum about collimation and alignment if you want to do it yourself. 

But note that you're close enough to Celestron to just drop it off for service, and they will do a complete cleaning, aligning the optics, and collimation. I've had them service a couple of scopes, and the bulk of the cost was the shipping them across the country. You have to contact them first to get a repair number. 

Chip W. 

• Michael Covington, Kasmos and Augustus like this

#7195 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

Hello lovers of fine instruments-

Yesterday I picked up a vintage orange-tube C-8 with all the trimmings, including case, wedge and tripod and original instruction book. The corrector plate has special coatings and the original tube cover is present.

Accessories include 4 Circle T eyepieces, Japan-made Barlow, Circle T Porro prism, long-nose diagonal and 6 beautiful, individually cased  color filters. The eyepieces are 40mm, 25mm and 9mm Kellners and a 4mm ortho. Some look like they were never used. The original Allen wrenches in a vinyl case are present as well.

Except for the case, which I have yet to clean up, everything is in mint to near-mint condition. By the condition of the various screw and bolt heads, it is clear that the telescope has never been messed with or disassembled. The clock-drive works perfectly, as do the focuser and slow-motion control knobs. According to my research, the telescope was made in the last quarter of 1976.

I have been unable to observe with the telescope due to cloudy weather, but daytime views looked good and very bright.

If my daughter can help me take some pictures, I will post them here and in the "Classic Finds in Mint Condition" thread. The telescope is really that nice!

Steve

• deepwoods1 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#7196 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

IMG_3819 (1).jpg IMG_3831 (1).jpg IMG_3820 (1).jpg IMG_3827 (1).jpg Hi all - thanks for the earlier suggestions on colliminating my C-5.  I was fortunate for another "find" this weekend - A Celestron / Vixen C80 with Super Polaris mount for $50 up in Orange County.  Picking it up timed well with seeing my nephew graduate from college.  The difficult thing was the seller only spoke Spanish and I had to use Google translator to communicate via Facebook messenger.

For some time I've dreamt of getting a cheap Super Polaris mount for my telescopes. As you can see in the attached photos, the scope has seen better days (decades?) with the rust and dust.  The unit is a bit rusted here and there and one of the brackets on a leg broke off.  I saw the objective was intact, fortunately.

Any thoughts on:

• which model this is - all the stickers have been removed (except for the Japanese inspection sticker)
  • removing rust/polishing the chrome
  • how to find a bracket replacement
  • replacing the central metal leg support
  • finding a replacement dust cap
  • dissembling and re-lubricating?

• tim53, Littlegreenman, rolo and 9 others like this

#7197 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Love it.

#7198 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

A SP-C80 for $50?! Even with the missing stuff, it’s worth it! 

I’ve used a product called “Evapo-rust”, works overnight.

Dust cap? Happy Hunting.

Want ads for other parts.

• rolo likes this

#7199 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

Helluva Deal!waytogo.gif

#7200 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

Fifty bucks! shocked.gif

If you got chrome stuff that is rusted, you can always try the aluminum foil trick. Regular old household stuff will work fine.

Wad up a bit, then dip it in water.... buff away. It might sound ridiculous but it works well to remove rusted spots. 

Don't believe me.... look it up, or even try it. I didn't believe it either until I tried it. This is kind of a secret tip in the classic car area. 

Dust Cap - some smaller coffee cans have a plastic lid that will work. That's what I use on the ST-80 - which I think is the same dia.

Don Rothman is another source for these kind of things. Google Astro Parts Outlet.

Great score you got. The center tripod spreader is there, unless it's really bent up or something - no need to replace that.

I think you just need the leg bracket and retaining pin. And the triangular metal tray that is fixed to the top of the spreader. 

T

• rolo, deepwoods1 and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics