•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
8106 replies to this topic

#7276 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

1948 12.5 Reflector, thru CN classifieds:

I get to be useful.

Putting up some stuff, getting sorted out before starting a thread: Unknown ATM’s 1948 12.5″ Reflector & GEM

Edited by AstroKerr, 16 June 2019 - 08:31 AM.

• tim53, rolo, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#7277 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Now that's a project!

• TOM KIEHL and AstroKerr like this

#7278 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

Now that's a project!

On the plus side - it's all big-ish work, mostly fastener work. Biggest headache looks to be matching the worm wheel to a worm & creating the worm drive assembly, creating a primary tray or something for quick in / out, and perhaps actual bearings for the tube to ride in the rotator frame. The OTA is held together with buttonhead screws and nuts, so the adjustment of the Sec & focuser to a new primary pos if a qwik-tray is added will be simple. I don't want to alter the original ATMs design unless really necessary, but Clamchip's right, a qwik-tray for the primary similar to that of George Hole's 1930's Garden Scope is a very good idea (whether the scope is 'gardened' or 'observatoried') - exposure and anti-theft protection. (Sybil just donated our current homesite out on the Rez to her sister, so it'll be 2~3 years before an observatory is possible, but the move is an upgrade for us - elecricity and water just 250~300 meters away. The skies out there have no light pollution.) Something just as quick for the Sec and focuser would be nice as well, but it may end up as 3 nuts tacked to each of the 5 longerons on the inside and thumbscrews - maybe not the quickest way, but a minor change from the original build - just pull that section of tube. But generally easy work overall. GEM and OTA are great - everything below the GEM is functional-but-less-than-right and not, apparently, original - so I don't have to worry about disrespecting the original ATMs design or intent there.

A local Astronomizer showed up to check it out - he's a NPS volunteer who assists the NPS Astronomy Ranger Lady in the area. I'll be joining in with them shortly to fight stray light, outreach, etc. It pays to park a big scope at the curb sometimes! I believe he or he and the Astro-Ranger Lady have access to a 6" Clark and a 12"(?) Clark - very interesting!

06/17/19 uploaded all the photos I currently have to a general structure and a measurements gallery here: Unknown ATM's 1948 12.5 Reflector - moved the 1948 down the hill to my son's, where we rent storage bays. Still haven't put the optics in - want to address some structural issues on the RA Axis bearing mounts first.

Edited by AstroKerr, 17 June 2019 - 04:38 AM.

• tim53, rolo, clamchip and 4 others like this

#7279 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

Putting up some stuff, getting sorted out before starting a thread: Unknown ATM’s 1948 12.5″ Reflector & GEM

first light report will be interesting.  That is a lot of focal length. 

• AstroKerr likes this

#7280 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

Are those instructions in Klingon? That is one of those 'Grail' levels - mind you keep it safe (and your friend as well), yeah? Just gorgeous.  waytogo.gif

I'm thinking it's the setup steps for the tripod.  I will ask my friend if he sold many of these in Klingon space.

Reminds of a Simpson's episode.  Somebody was reading a Chaim Potok novel and Krusty asked if he was Klingon.  :lol:

• AstroKerr likes this

#7281 SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

Picked up this Tasco 7TE-5 yesterday - found it on Facebook Marketplace. It's in very good shape and 99% complete. Comes in a nice wooden box with camera attachments and solar viewing parts. What's the missing 1%? The .965" visual back. My kingdom for a Tasco 7TE-5 .965" visual back! Or a 1.25" one. I'd be happy either way.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tasco.jpg

• Pete W, steve t, Chuck Hards and 5 others like this

#7282 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

Nice!  Turn the tube around in the clamshell, so the Dec slow-motion rod is facing the rear of the telescope.  Unless you have 4-foot-long arms.

I'll dig around this weekend for a spare visual back, will let you know if I find a spare.

• SpaceOtter likes this

#7283 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:22 AM

File this under: You'll never know what will turn up.

While helping my wife clean up an office at her parents home I came upon a truly unexpected find.

attachicon.gif Power Cords.jpg

I think they were from old adding machines and maybe a typewriter.

The darker grey one is a Belden. It will surely work on a Celestron and other old drives.

The light grey one has contacts in the three holes but not completely surrounding the holes. I haven't tested it's fit.

The brown one's cord is disintegrating and it has no ground contact in the center hole or on the male end. frown.gif

Be aware modern versions of this cord (or more specifically the plug end that goes to the scope drive) have different wiring, two of the wires are switched from what our original cord was. They usually come with a large yellow warning label wrapped around the cord pointing this out. I don't know the consequences of using a modern cord on an old scope drive, perhaps incorrect grounding, possible electric shock or some such. 

Tom Duncan

#7284 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:42 AM

Be aware modern versions of this cord (or more specifically the plug end that goes to the scope drive) have different wiring, two of the wires are switched from what our original cord was. They usually come with a large yellow warning label wrapped around the cord pointing this out. I don't know the consequences of using a modern cord on an old scope drive, perhaps incorrect grounding, possible electric shock or some such. 

Tom Duncan

I'd heard about those somewhere on this site.  I'll check them before any use, but if you knew my inlaws you'd know that these are likely older than any Celestron that used them. They didn't throw out anything, working or not. The brown one is very old with a cracking/disintegrating cord and is not grounded so it definitely won't be used.

Thanks for the warning anyway.

Edited by Kasmos, 19 June 2019 - 02:45 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#7285 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

They didn't throw out anything, working or not. The brown one is very old with a cracking/disintegrating cord and is not grounded so it definitely won't be used.

Sounds like my folks! :lol:

• Kasmos likes this

#7286 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Came across this beautiful eyepiece.  It is noticeably sharper, has better light transmission and is has superior contrast to my Tani 25mm ortho.  The FOV is slightly narrower, probably around 35 degrees -maybe a bit more.  It's solid brass and quite heavy.  It is a microscope eyepiece, but has no color fringing.  I put a sleeve around the barrel so it fits perfectly in a .965 diagonal.  This one will find a permanent spot in the eyepiece case.  My other favorite microscope eyepieces are a Swift 10-20x zoom, a Swift WF 15x and a Zeiss 30x.  All are superb eyepieces. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0124 - Edited.jpg

• Deven Matlick, rolo, starman876 and 3 others like this

#7287 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

Came across this beautiful eyepiece.  It is noticeably sharper, has better light transmission and is has superior contrast to my Tani 25mm ortho.  The FOV is slightly narrower, probably around 35 degrees -maybe a bit more.  It's solid brass and quite heavy.  It is a microscope eyepiece, but has no color fringing.  I put a sleeve around the barrel so it fits perfectly in a .965 diagonal.  This one will find a permanent spot in the eyepiece case.  My other favorite microscope eyepieces are a Swift 10-20x zoom, a Swift WF 15x and a Zeiss 30x.  All are superb eyepieces. 

microscope eyepieces are under valued  by astronomers.    The zeiss microscope eyepieces are very good also.

#7288 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

They most certainly are.  They used to come rather cheaply, but the prices seem to have risen in the last year or so.  They also work great like this, but you need plenty of inward focuser travel.  The double-tube 60 & 76mm scopes are perfect and they really shift the balance toward the eyepieces.  You can't get a better Lunar setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• binos.jpg

• steve t, deepwoods1, madeline and 2 others like this

#7289 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

Part of a recent estate buy, lots and lots of Takahashi bits, mostly .965" which is perfect for me as I've been trying to assemble a good quality .965" kit for use with my various old refractors and some of this will upgrade it considerably. 

I'm having trouble identifying a lot of it, not so much if it's Takahashi as much as what it's used for and with what. The .965" diagonal with the 360 degree scale around the eyepiece holder in the last photo for example (forum post on this here). 

Not much documentation on the web. Anyone have links to older (or any) Takahashi catalogs? Thomas from Denmark (Astrojensen) linked me to a 2018 Takahashi catalog but of course most of this pre-dates it. 

First photo is the lot, subsequent photos are detail shots. 

Notables:

Pix #2: Some sort of filter holder setup, in the back with a 2" prism, filter holders on the left.

Pix #3: Two (!) .965" prism diagonals. Haven't tested them yet but if they are anything like the two 1.25" I have they will never leave my kit nor will I bother to use any other .965" prism diagonal. The degree that they reduce fringe color in achromats is amazing. Not sure what the two large round things are in the back and on top of the box. They move the mount sideways. 

Not sure if the mirror box like thing in the lower left corner is Takahashi, it doesn't have the collet type EP holder. It's an odd piece, it looks like an on-axis guider. There's a prism in a frame hanging down to the center of the optical axis and there doesn't seem to be any way to move it. I need to look closer. 

Pix #4: Four-EP .965" turret. Not sure how this is used as it attaches by 36.3mm male threads with a locking collar, suggesting straight through viewing on a refractor by attaching it directly to a drawtube. Any ideas? I'll likely start a forum thread on this piece. 

Two TS .965" EPs, one each Ortho 2.8mm and 4mm.

Motor and gear set for what mount on the black box in back?

Pix #5: Center bottom is the .965" prism diagonal with the scale on it previously mentioned, just above that is what looks to be a Herschel prism for Sun viewing. On the right is maybe an early version of a guide scope adjuster? 

Fun stuff, looking forward to figuring them all out and beefing up my .965" viewing kit. 

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• TAKGRP1.JPG
  • TAKGRP2.JPG
  • TAKGRP3.JPG
  • TAKGRP4.JPG
  • TAKGRP5.jpg

• Deven Matlick, PaulEK, steve t and 6 others like this

#7290 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

The FC-100 adapter would connect to a Mamiya medium format film back.

#7291 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

Part of a recent estate buy, lots and lots of Takahashi bits, mostly .965" which is perfect for me as I've been trying to assemble a good quality .965" kit for use with my various old refractors and some of this will upgrade it considerably. 

I'm having trouble identifying a lot of it, not so much if it's Takahashi as much as what it's used for and with what. The .965" diagonal with the 360 degree scale around the eyepiece holder in the last photo for example (forum post on this here). 

Not much documentation on the web. Anyone have links to older (or any) Takahashi catalogs? Thomas from Denmark (Astrojensen) linked me to a 2018 Takahashi catalog but of course most of this pre-dates it. 

Notables:

Pix #2: Some sort of filter holder setup, in the back with a 2" prism, filter holders on the left.

Pix #3: Two (!) .965" prism diagonals. Haven't tested them yet but if they are anything like the two 1.25" I have they will never leave my kit nor will I bother to use any other .965" prism diagonal. The degree that they reduce fringe color in achromats is amazing. Not sure what the two large round things are in the back and on top of the box. They move the mount sideways. 

Not sure if the mirror box like thing in the lower left corner is Takahashi, it doesn't have the collet type EP holder. It's an odd piece, it looks like an on-axis guider. There's a prism in a frame hanging down to the center of the optical axis and there doesn't seem to be any way to move it. I need to look closer. 

Pix #4: Four-EP .965" turret. Not sure how this is used as it attaches by 36.3mm male threads with a locking collar, suggesting straight through viewing on a refractor by attaching it directly to a drawtube. Any ideas? I'll likely start a forum thread on this piece. 

Pix #5: Center bottom is the .965" prism diagonal with the scale on it previously mentioned, just above that is what looks to be a Herschel prism for Sun viewing. On the right is maybe an early version of a guide scope adjuster? 

Fun stuff, looking forward to figuring them all out and beefing up my .965" viewing kit. 

Tom Duncan 

You hit the jackpot with that onewaytogo.gif

#7292 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

Just got this off of ebay, hope I didn't pay too much ($199.00) . A  while back a friend gave me a Telementor II and I thought this mount would be a nice fit.

Attached Thumbnails

• zeiss.jpg

• steve t, deepwoods1, Ken Sturrock and 8 others like this

#7293 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

Notables:

Tom Duncan 

Tom, excellent find. 

The round items in pix 3 are for centering a guidestar when using a guiding eyepiece. Typical Tak, way overbuilt. I have one and it is pretty interesting, but very heavy. 

The prism diagonal with the degree scale ring on it was also used with a reticle eyepiece. I may have an extra eyepiece laying around (PM me if interested). I have this as well and you can rotate the ring to get the correct alignment. 

The TS MC Hi-Or 2.8 and 4mm eyepieces are excellent. They are similar to the more modern Hi-LE eyepieces. As I recall they have a built in barlow so have better eye relief. They don’t get too much better than these. 

The 4 eyepiece turret is a nice and rare find. I have the 5 eyepiece version. I suspect the thread is 36.4mm and will screw directly into a Tak adapter instead of the eyepiece collette. The locking collar is to make sure the orientation is correct. 

#7294 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:55 AM

I just recieved my own cornucopia of parts.

Cornucopia.jpg

This is what you get when you tell Goodwill, please carefully pack the loose items so as not to damage the scope or parts.

Packing.jpg

BTW, They answered, "Will do!"

Delicate-Instruments.jpg

And this is how Fedex handles boxes marked Delicate Instruments.

Good thing it only traveled about 90 miles.

Froggy.jpg

My new mascot (Froggy), survived hiding in the packing

Hiya kids!... Hiya, Hiya, Hiya

https://www.youtube....h?v=YYZazW9Ja1k

Edited by Kasmos, 20 June 2019 - 03:56 AM.

• rolo, steve t, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#7295 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

Tom Duncan

IIRC the ground wire remained in the same place, but the neutral and hot pins were switched between the two versions of the plug.

#7296 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

IIRC the ground wire remained in the same place, but the neutral and hot pins were switched between the two versions of the plug.

That rings a bell. What are the practical considerations (and dangers?) of using a cord with the switched hot pins? 

Tom 

#7297 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

Tom, excellent find. 

The round items in pix 3 are for centering a guidestar when using a guiding eyepiece. Typical Tak, way overbuilt. I have one and it is pretty interesting, but very heavy. 

The prism diagonal with the degree scale ring on it was also used with a reticle eyepiece. I may have an extra eyepiece laying around (PM me if interested). I have this as well and you can rotate the ring to get the correct alignment. 

The TS MC Hi-Or 2.8 and 4mm eyepieces are excellent. They are similar to the more modern Hi-LE eyepieces. As I recall they have a built in barlow so have better eye relief. They don’t get too much better than these. 

The 4 eyepiece turret is a nice and rare find. I have the 5 eyepiece version. I suspect the thread is 36.4mm and will screw directly into a Tak adapter instead of the eyepiece collette. The locking collar is to make sure the orientation is correct. 

Thanks for your input Kurt.

I thought the two round items might be microadjusters for a guidestar alignment. Agreed, a bit overbuilt. 

Regarding the prism diagonal with a degree scale ring, can you elaborate on its use? I have a posting on this piece here. I do have several .965" reticle EPs, but not TAK made. 

I've used the two EPs, very pleased. Upgraded my .965" kit quite a bit. As an aside on the other end of the focal length scale some of my favorite .965" EPs. are the tiny Meade MA's. 

As to the 4-EP turret I can't find any reference to it. A Google search comes up empty, just showing the modern 4-EP 1.25" and the older 5-EP. The threads are 36.4mm. So it is designed for straight through viewing only? 

Tom 

#7298 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

That rings a bell. What are the practical considerations (and dangers?) of using a cord with the switched hot pins? 

Tom 

I imagine it is a similar situation to riring the hot and neutral pins of an outlet backwards. Some circuits won't care, some might. I think the problem and potential danger is if you have the item open (for repair or testing, for example) and the cord is connected. The wrong components might be live. Since we are talking about an AC circuit, I don't see polarity being an issue.

An electrician should be able to explain it better. Given that I have had a couple of substantial shocks in my life, I defer to the experts.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#7299 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Recently got this, a Hino Mizar 68mm 600mm f8.8 achromat in box with adjustable cell, .965" focuser and proper metal slip-fit front cap (love that green felt!). Beautifully built and in great condition, it's going to be tough to let this one go. I'm not really into short scopes (I'm visual use only) so I'll have to think about it. If this had been the 1000mm version it would instantly be a permanent member of the herd. 

It seems there might have been two versions of this. This one has a finderscope on it, most I've seen with an internet search were offered as guidescopes with the screw holes for the finderscope rings filled with crosspoint screws. 

Had it out twice now but the seeing has been truly awful with city skies and Jupiter looking like a frying egg. Haven't checked the cell or focuser collimation yet, I make it a practice to first use a scope in the condition in which I got it to see how far off it is and how much it can be improved with standard tweaks. 

But it's so cute!

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_8006A.jpg
  • DSC_8010T.jpg
  • DSC_8007A.jpg

• Deven Matlick, photiost, steve t and 7 others like this

#7300 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

Beyond cute.   Love those custom radius finder brackets!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics