•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
7920 replies to this topic

#7901 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Mariner 2

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

A little royal rescue.

The first picture is from the ad.

The second is of the lens as found - no spacers and reversed, described as functioning.

5 minutes of cleaning and cutting some postage stamp edging has it up and running. There are a couple of small edge chips, but no scratches and good coatings.

This is the version with a full height tripod and fixed yoke. Now I need one with the micro eq mount.

It came with the same diagonal as my bushnell 50 and a surprisingly nice 30mm huygens with coated lenses and a stepped barrel.

Unfortunately the focuser and tube threading have been stripped completely smooth.  It saves me some work on getting it functional since it now slips on and off but somebody really wanted it off. After an overhaul, I'll use a dab of epoxy to keep in place until I can drill and tap it for retaining screws.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20191017-180258_Facebook-01.jpeg
  • 20191017_172016-01.jpeg
  • 20191017_175844-01.jpeg
  • 20191017_175725-01.jpeg

• astro140, deepwoods1, Chuck Hards and 9 others like this

#7902 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

What a beauty and it's the rarer 600mm version too! Great find!

A little royal rescue.

The first picture is from the ad.

The second is of the lens as found - no spacers and reversed, described as functioning.

5 minutes of cleaning and cutting some postage stamp edging has it up and running. There are a couple of small edge chips, but no scratches and good coatings.

This is the version with a full height tripod and fixed yoke. Now I need one with the micro eq mount.

It came with the same diagonal as my bushnell 50 and a surprisingly nice 30mm huygens with coated lenses and a stepped barrel.

Unfortunately the focuser and tube threading have been stripped completely smooth.  It saves me some work on getting it functional since it now slips on and off but somebody really wanted it off. After an overhaul, I'll use a dab of epoxy to keep in place until I can drill and tap it for retaining screws.

#7903 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

Came in last Thursday and I didn't know what to expect (bought it cause it's not current std Lumi colours):

gallery_279828_11275_76297.jpg   gallery_279828_11275_210.jpg    

I'm 101.5°, skies are clouded, moon thru med-light clouds (filter not required), ~0200 10-14-19. Finder was w/i 1/30th diam oob & focused already. Moon was easy & sharp as it could be thru the clouds - very sharp for clouded - i mean it was impressive. Wife came out & yipped at me then went back to bed. I grabbed the Crescent (always by the door) and compared - sweet baby ray on wings views were as 'same' as could be, honestly. Lumi was a tiny bit less contrasty, but there wasn't any real contrast to be had with the clouds. Just gorgeoues anyways.  Really didn't expect that. That was a $7 scope!! ($40 w/ shpg, but I wanted it simply because of the paint job) It's a keeper, stone cold keeper. That tripod is nice, actually, quite nice. Don't know if it's original, but it's nice. No prism, EPs, slo-mos with it - just the tray & CW. Focuser & Dewshield textured paint on plastic. Drawtube seems to be pot-metal w/ steel rack. Don't discount optics just because they're MiC - many are quite the same QoV as MiJs.

Edited by AstroKerr, 18 October 2019 - 02:27 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Russell Smith like this

#7904 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

https://www.cloudyni...n-original-box/

micrometer eyepiece?

#7905 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

https://www.cloudyni...n-original-box/

micrometer eyepiece?

It looks just like my Unitron BiFilar micrometer eyepiece.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7906 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

It looks just like my Unitron BiFilar micrometer eyepiece.

Thanks Terra    just realized  I dropped this into the finds list    heading to ads list now

• terraclarke and AstroKerr like this

#7907 Garyth64

Garyth64

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

Came in last Thursday and I didn't know what to expect (bought it cause it's not current std Lumi colours):

I'm 101.5°, skies are clouded, moon thru med-light clouds (filter not required), ~0200 10-14-19. Finder was w/i 1/30th diam oob & focused already. Moon was easy & sharp as it could be thru the clouds - very sharp for clouded - i mean it was impressive. Wife came out & yipped at me then went back to bed. I grabbed the Crescent (always by the door) and compared - sweet baby ray on wings views were as 'same' as could be, honestly. Lumi was a tiny bit less contrasty, but there wasn't any real contrast to be had with the clouds. Just gorgeoues anyways.  Really didn't expect that. That was a $7 scope!! ($40 w/ shpg, but I wanted it simply because of the paint job) It's a keeper, stone cold keeper. That tripod is nice, actually, quite nice. Don't know if it's original, but it's nice. No prism, EPs, slo-mos with it - just the tray & CW. Focuser & Dewshield textured paint on plastic. Drawtube seems to be pot-metal w/ steel rack. Don't discount optics just because they're MiC - many are quite the same QoV as MiJs.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but the Moon is a very forgiving target.  How does Saturn or Jupiter look?  How do the stars look?  smile.gif

Edited by Garyth64, 18 October 2019 - 03:40 PM.

• Russell Smith likes this

#7908 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Stop the presses!  Ol' Bomber Bob actually won a Goodwill online auction!!

Antique K-E Farm Level S02.jpg Antique K-E Farm Level S05.jpg

Antique K-E Farm Level S06.jpg Antique K-E Farm Level S07.jpg

It's a 100-year old Keuffel & Esser Favorite Farm Level  --  not an astronomical instrument, but it does have a very small refractor.  For once, I'm not gonna remove it and make a finder from it, even though the lens is undamaged & the original crosshairs are intact & straight.  Instead, I'm gonna clean it and put it on display in my man cave -- I already have a spot ready for it on a tabletop.

Continuing on My Roll...  Shortly after I got my Classic Vixen FL80S, I started looking for a Green Super Polaris matching mount, and my timing always stank -- someone else would nab it as soon as one popped up.   Well, what do ya know?  James posted a green Vixen Custom 80 alt/az mount & tripod, and I jumped on it.  It's a better solution for me than a green SP, which is overkill for an 80mm F8 OTA.  And the timing is right, as my trusty old VersaGo is about shot, and can't carry my 4" or 5" F5 RFTs, anyway.  And, my motorized older Polaris carries both Fluorites easily -- and on a lighter platform.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 18 October 2019 - 06:12 PM.

• clamchip, Marc-Andre, walter a and 5 others like this

#7909 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Nice to see you back.

I'm posting one similar in ads thread.

• AstroKerr likes this

#7910 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Powell, AZ US

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

I don't want to be a naysayer, but the Moon is a very forgiving target.  How does Saturn or Jupiter look?  How do the stars look?  smile.gif

oh, you're not =) dunno yet, got the riot act for being out at all, and just didn't have time to wait for clear patches - only spent maybe 20~25 min total. still pneu 'burn-down' @~100.5°, weak, wheezy. I expect good results though - if I can pull sharp crater edges and peaks thru clouds, the glass is at least very okay for lunar, planets. real test is a double or two after a good star test. I've got a few of these older MiCs under the belt - and milage does vary, but so far not to the point I'd ever pitch the glass. I'm not 'released' til Sun, but I'm gonna try =). The moon can be forgiving if you I let it - stay focused (ha) and demanding, it's a good benchmark usually. But yeah, need to see planets and some pointy close stars - it could be just a great lunar scope, and that'd still be fine. Moon's a blessing in disguise on cloudy nights sometimes - you can suss the basics.

Gotta Gal FS-120 w/ minor pranged focuser and another Tasco 3T-RB (and some others as came in) I really wanna test as well. gotta view seated a lot or I tip over, but I can't take much more downtime - get what ya can done, even it's fat & happy moon peekin thru clouds while yer haid roasts =)

Edited by AstroKerr, 18 October 2019 - 08:03 PM.

• Garyth64 likes this

#7911 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 AM

The spider is surprisingly rigid. The secondary was loose and I had to reach through and around the spider and hub to reset it. I'd say the spider rocks in more ways than one. All the holes are very well done, in spite of how some of the cosmetic marks look.  The collimation roughed in pretty easy with a pin hole cap, just by tightening the secondary in position. Focuser and primary cell are square and well mounted. Add the design of the spider and some one knew what they were doing.

I don't think it logical that the builder wouldn't move the primary if working with only one mirror. That's way too brainless an obvious approach, but ya never know. 'Dad' is 92 years old according to the seller, he's in and out a little but still on it and seller said he may talk to me about the scope. He was an ophthalmologist.  He had a lot of hobbies and the astronomy bug was NOT a major one.  The work shown here was a side line interest. There is likely more stuff that goes with this. The seller has requested pictures of what a mount might look like and we are in private email contact. She also lives very close to the Denver Zoo which I am a member of, so stopping in would be a delight. I'll get back to this as things progress with the seller. I'm getting way too many things going here at one time again, S&T collection, the Uni 152, some Criterion ep's, and this thing.  Ung, 4 things for two brain cells.

That spider must be a commercial unit, as I have one exactly like that which I got with an 8" f/6 mirror and cell, focuser, and tube weight set.

#7912 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

That spider must be a commercial unit, as I have one exactly like that which I got with an 8" f/6 mirror and cell, focuser, and tube weight set.

Tim, any chance you can get a picture of yours?  I'm going to move this into a restomod thread, but will wait with sections till the sections are done. Keep it more like a 'before and after' up front and show any pertinent details after.  That might keep it a little focused. I've started.

The spider still shows some ATM attributes. I'll have to strip the tube for interior paint, and that will expose a lot. 

Hold up till the thread, i'm going to get scatter drained with too much here..  Two coats self etch and first finish with a fine textured black for hopefully a different look. Paint is still wet in this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• PA190014 - Copy.JPG
  • PA190016 - Copy.JPG

• tim53, Mr Magoo, rolo and 2 others like this

#7913 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Okay, tomorrow morning when I go back down to my shop.

#7914 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Yes!  BB won the Hino Mizar MMD + AR-1 mount head on the GW.  That gives me two complete AR-1 EQs (tall wood tripod & ShortyPod) plus 1 motor drive system with hand controller (the MMD). 

Hino Mizar MMD A03.jpg Hino Mizar MMD A02.jpg

Assuming everything works now (or I can repair), I'll put a Polaris back on the Eagle surveyor wood pod, an AR-1 + MMD on its original tall wood pod, and leave the current AR-1 on the short aluminum pod (for my 2 x 6" Newts).

My EQ mount-buying is over.  My FluoroDuo will ride on the Vixen Custom 80 AZ.  All that's left is one of those hefty duo AZ mounts that can carry my 4" & 5" F5 RFTs together or solo.

Of course, now that I got all the bases covered, I expect nothing but cloudy nights for the foreseeable future...

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 10:22 PM.

• Mr Magoo, rolo, CharlieB and 8 others like this

#7915 walter a

walter a

Messenger

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted Today, 05:27 AM

BB thats a nice find. I have hopes of finding a drive but in the mean time I did a cg5 drive mod on one of my ar-1 mounts.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7916 walter a

walter a

Messenger

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted Today, 07:17 AM

Might have to do a gear swap to get the speed right.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1543.JPG
  • DSCN1542.JPG

• Mr Magoo, rolo, deepwoods1 and 1 other like this

#7917 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

My biggest beef with the external drives on these mounts like the AR-1, the Polaris, etc. is how far out the motor extends -- it inhibits horizon-to-horizon motion / positioning.  My StarFinders & Tak EM-1S have internal motors and don't suffer from that clunkiness.  I'm going to take another look at all my mounts; and, if I'm satisfied with the AR-1s, my last Polaris may be going, too.  I never cared for its threaded counterweight rod, either.  It's OK if only one scope is used on it, but I swap OTAs frequently, and "rolling" the weight up / down that big screw is annoying & time-consuming -- and removing a threaded weight is downright dangerous in the dark!

I'll take my chances with the toe-saver...

I'm intentionally keeping some of my EQs as all-manual.  The 2 Gotos have very smooth 360* slow-motion gearing -- good enough for high-power observing.  The Model 106 carries my Dakin 4, JaegerMeister 4, or TripleNickel 5; from low power sweeping to high power double-splitting.

Edited by Bomber Bob, Today, 09:21 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#7918 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted Today, 10:53 AM

My biggest beef with the external drives on these mounts like the AR-1, the Polaris, etc. is how far out the motor extends -- it inhibits horizon-to-horizon motion / positioning.  My StarFinders & Tak EM-1S have internal motors and don't suffer from that clunkiness.  I'm going to take another look at all my mounts; and, if I'm satisfied with the AR-1s, my last Polaris may be going, too.  I never cared for its threaded counterweight rod, either.  It's OK if only one scope is used on it, but I swap OTAs frequently, and "rolling" the weight up / down that big screw is annoying & time-consuming -- and removing a threaded weight is downright dangerous in the dark!

I'll take my chances with the toe-saver...

Good idea. I came to that conclusion over a year ago. My Polaris mounts are gone and so are my Unitron GEMs. They’re over-rated in my opinion. And I hate the threaded counterweight shaft. I’ve spun them down more than once only to have them hit the ground. They’re a PITA and the side-mounted protruding motors are clearly a design afterthought! 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7919 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted Today, 04:18 PM

After looking at this B&L Discoverer ad on craigs list every day for a month I finally thru

in the towel and bought it. "Reduced again for immediate sale!! - $50! how am I supposed 

to go though another day of this torture!

The scope in the foreground is our B&L Balscope zoom, easily the most used of all the

telescopes and binoculars in this house. I say 'our B&L' because unlike my astro instruments

my wife uses the Balscope as much as I do.

My wife has never much liked the little knobs on top of the Balscope for zoom and focus

I do but she doesn't.

The new B&L has barrel zoom and focus like a camera lens, I like it too but it's slow by

comparison to the little knobs. Still, my wife likes the barrels best.

Now side-by-side comparison of these two is not going to be easy, I'll need lots of time

they are very different.

Right off I can say the Balscope has the typical B&L warmness I see in all the B&L USA

made products from the first coated optics made during WW2 clear up into the 1970's.

This new B&L, I shouldn't say new it's from the 1980's, has a colder view that on first

impression seems higher contrast. When you look harder and longer though the contrast

is actually about the same.

The coatings look the same, the new B&L being multi-coated so I suppose the old one

probably is too.

They both have the same FOV through the entire 15X-60X range of powers.

Robert

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

Edited by clamchip, Today, 04:25 PM.

• Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#7920 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted Today, 04:23 PM

So glad you got this one Robert. Seems it was talking to you  just asking to go home.

Wonderful that the wife will enjoy it as much as you.

Like others have said "sometimes a scope finds you "

• clamchip likes this

#7921 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted Today, 04:55 PM

It's very possible that the exact same optical formula is used in both.  Just better coatings on the recent one.  Some or all of the optics themselves may be interchangeable.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics