•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
8911 replies to this topic

#8326 UnitronCollector

UnitronCollector

Sputnik

• Loc: TX

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:47 PM

The worst Unitron 4" objective I've seen was on a 100mm model

The worst Unitron 4" objective I've seen was on a 100mm model from early 50's. Not very well corrected...

One of the best Unitron 4" objective I've seen was on a 100mm model.   Very well corrected...

#8327 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:25 AM

The worst Unitron 4" objective I've seen was on a 100mm model from early 50's. Not very well corrected...

One of the best Unitron 4" objective I've seen was on a 100mm model.   Very well corrected...

Just proves Unitron like everyone else had quality control issues...Seen plenty of bad ones in 70 years of observing

• Bonco2 and Augustus like this

#8328 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:57 AM

Since my Tasco 10te needed a more substantial mount to go with its new Baader diagonal, yesterday I took a gamble, and an 11 hour drive, on a $350 GM8 with no cables or hand controller. Everything looks great and it's a smooth operator, so I'm optimistic the electronics might turn out okay.

Very nice mount for your 10TE. Here's my most recent purchase on my AZ EQ-5 mount. It makes for a much more stable platform for the 10TE. The GOTO and tracking, along with a Baader diagonal and 1 1/4" eyepieces really brings out the best in these 10TEs. 

DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_1427.jpg

Edited by Astrolite, 15 February 2020 - 02:59 AM.

• Deven Matlick, photiost, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#8329 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

Since my Tasco 10te needed a more substantial mount to go with its new Baader diagonal, yesterday I took a gamble, and an 11 hour drive, on a $350 GM8 with no cables or hand controller. Everything looks great and it's a smooth operator, so I'm optimistic the electronics might turn out okay.

I also got an email about that 6" mirror and hardware set. The seller, Cloud Break in Seattle, cleaned the primary and discovered it's a 1971 f4 Cave. I found a small piece of 8", 14ga hot rolled steel pipe which I can buy and get powder coated black for $50. Should I make my cuts and drill for the mirror mounts before the paint job?

I also picked up a basketcase Unitron 114 that popped up on letgo while I was on the road. The lens is pretty good and the rest seems reasonably restorable. No box or .965 drawtube and the Unihex is frozen. There's a little bit of oil around the seam between the outer and inner housing and no sign it was epoxed together. It looks pretty clean and even has the spring and ball detent intact. I let it sit in boiling water for about 10 minutes and it remains stuck. Any ideas?

That scope looks great on that GM8! I’ve always loved the look of Losmandy mounts! When they are on KB Wooden tripods that have such a classic look!

#8330 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:31 PM

The 4” (cell with ears) model 152 I used to have had quite good optics. Based on the mount, And other attributes I dated it to be around 1960. I would put it on par with the 1964 Edmund 4” F15 which had a very fine lens.

#8331 fossilhunter

fossilhunter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Picked up Jason 60mm x 800mm refractor on ebay for $1 , according to the logo on the tag it was made by Asahi-Pentax. Found the info to identify it on an old cloudy nights thread. Should be a nice scope.

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#8332 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

The 4” (cell with ears) model 152 I used to have had quite good optics. Based on the mount, And other attributes I dated it to be around 1960. I would put it on par with the 1964 Edmund 4” F15 which had a very fine lens.

My 1960 M152 was also very good. Thing sat in the boxes for around 25 years and the lens had to be sent to Unitron for cleaning in 1986 when i bought it. It was like it was never used with wrapper on many of the parts.

• Terra Nova likes this

#8333 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:28 PM

Picked up Jason 60mm x 800mm refractor on ebay for $1 , according to the logo on the tag it was made by Asahi-Pentax. Found the info to identify it on an old cloudy nights thread. Should be a nice scope.

I would like to see some photos. Are you going to start a new thread?

#8334 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:29 PM

gallery_279828_11275_9942.jpg  gallery_279828_11275_10812.jpg   

Diamond Z, plastic / chromed plastic, $52 delivered ($20 more than I'd wanted, but...), missing one pin for the tray tab on one leg. Overall condition - one pin shy of NIB. Lovely specularltacular well-I'm-almost-black-if-there's-like-absolutely-no-light interior shiny paint. Dark gray looking at best.

Baffle in the OTA in a good place; focuser and ext drawtube baffles look properly placed. H20 & H4 have same shiny 'black' interiors. Plastic diagonal - shiny interior. No current mech slop - nice smooth-n-tight focuser (to include ext draw). Plastic done well.

Excellent execution of an EQ-2 class mount & tripod - tight, smooth, delcious - uncommonly nice.

3 hrs in the chilly darkness, haze-behind-overcast to find out this f/12.5 is as sharp as my Crescent 60x910 - equates to gorram excellent. A hair/half-hair-hair more color - much less than expeceted. No surprise on grey contrast due to paint. Have Black 3.0 & close equiv spray for that issue. Might pull the baffles during blackening because they aren't / won't be doing anything useful - It's nice to see they are there, though, as 'proper' baffles and not 'stretcher' stops. Clean, honest light path. I rather expected an f/ stretcher but this doesn't seem to be the intent - it doesn't appear to have been repositioned by a user. Just had a short 50mm come in last week / week before that was stopped to 20~25 right behind the objective - ate all the light.

The little H4 was also a surprise - no eye relief, but it also didn't kill the view - dim, yes, but it was a dim night - it'll be fine without our gorram weather. ~187x and on a clear night it will be lovely. H20 also a great / above avg performer, as was the diagonal. Kinda impressed they did just chromed plastic - no attempt to bs me with a heavy barrel under carpy lenses - good glass in'em.

There was just too much haze & clouds for a proper star test - the H4 needed more light & much less haze - the few stars I did have were peekers-thru and when the H4 went in they became ghost-fluff-blobs. Will try again tonight.

So, I'm happy - woulda been happier for twenty less or with ply case, but what I wanted to know was how is this particular model f/12.5 Selsi was going to perform againt similar f/11.66s and f/15s. Those extra 50mm are a definite improvement over std 700mm and in a <Z>. Too cool. ~$3 worth of blackening and it's a peach - peach enough it's earned (on a bad night at that) a place on the 'needs proper case' list. Anyways, those pix are from the listing because mine look like doodoo and I am time-limited (aren't we all). 

Edited by AstroKerr, 16 February 2020 - 10:42 PM.

• walter a, Defenderslideguitar and Senex Bibax like this

#8335 marcyc

marcyc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern VA, USA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:26 AM

Picked this up this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, but it is SO CUTE!

It is in okay shape for its age, although it needs a good cleaning. Most importantly, though, the objective is dirty but looks to be otherwise fine. A couple of deep gouges in the tube and some missing screws, but all the original eyepieces are there, along with the mount, tripod, and wooden box.

Hopefully I will have time to mess with it tomorrow, and I will take more pics then.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200216_235201914.jpg

• Deven Matlick, CharlieB, DreamWeaver and 12 others like this

#8336 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

gallery_279828_11275_9942.jpg  gallery_279828_11275_10812.jpg   

Diamond Z, plastic / chromed plastic, $52 delivered ($20 more than I'd wanted, but...), missing one pin for the tray tab on one leg. Overall condition - one pin shy of NIB. Lovely specularltacular well-I'm-almost-black-if-there's-like-absolutely-no-light interior shiny paint. Dark gray looking at best.

Baffle in the OTA in a good place; focuser and ext drawtube baffles look properly placed. H20 & H4 have same shiny 'black' interiors. Plastic diagonal - shiny interior. No current mech slop - nice smooth-n-tight focuser (to include ext draw). Plastic done well.

Excellent execution of an EQ-2 class mount & tripod - tight, smooth, delcious - uncommonly nice.

3 hrs in the chilly darkness, haze-behind-overcast to find out this f/12.5 is as sharp as my Crescent 60x910 - equates to gorram excellent. A hair/half-hair-hair more color - much less than expeceted. No surprise on grey contrast due to paint. Have Black 3.0 & close equiv spray for that issue. Might pull the baffles during blackening because they aren't / won't be doing anything useful - It's nice to see they are there, though, as 'proper' baffles and not 'stretcher' stops. Clean, honest light path. I rather expected an f/ stretcher but this doesn't seem to be the intent - it doesn't appear to have been repositioned by a user. Just had a short 50mm come in last week / week before that was stopped to 20~25 right behind the objective - ate all the light.

The little H4 was also a surprise - no eye relief, but it also didn't kill the view - dim, yes, but it was a dim night - it'll be fine without our gorram weather. ~187x and on a clear night it will be lovely. H20 also a great / above avg performer, as was the diagonal. Kinda impressed they did just chromed plastic - no attempt to bs me with a heavy barrel under carpy lenses - good glass in'em.

There was just too much haze & clouds for a proper star test - the H4 needed more light & much less haze - the few stars I did have were peekers-thru and when the H4 went in they became ghost-fluff-blobs. Will try again tonight.

So, I'm happy - woulda been happier for twenty less or with ply case, but what I wanted to know was how is this particular model f/12.5 Selsi was going to perform againt similar f/11.66s and f/15s. Those extra 50mm are a definite improvement over std 700mm and in a <Z>. Too cool. ~$3 worth of blackening and it's a peach - peach enough it's earned (on a bad night at that) a place on the 'needs proper case' list. Anyways, those pix are from the listing because mine look like doodoo and I am time-limited (aren't we all). 

I know <Z> is usually rated as inferior to Towa and many other Japanese optics, but my 60x800 Tanzutsu refractor was sharp as a tack on bright and faint stars, and no obvious colour distortions either on objects like the Moon

• AstroKerr likes this

#8337 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

Picked this up this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, but it is SO CUTE!

It is in okay shape for its age, although it needs a good cleaning. Most importantly, though, the objective is dirty but looks to be otherwise fine. A couple of deep gouges in the tube and some missing screws, but all the original eyepieces are there, along with the mount, tripod, and wooden box.

Hopefully I will have time to mess with it tomorrow, and I will take more pics then.

Hi Marcy

Very nice Hyscore 457

These small refractors  are so underated

Enjoy

• marcyc likes this

#8338 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

I know <Z> is usually rated as inferior to Towa and many other Japanese optics, but my 60x800 Tanzutsu refractor was sharp as a tack on bright and faint stars, and no obvious colour distortions either on objects like the Moon

I've had enough 'good luck' with <Z> that I don't think it's luck any more. I'm sure there are underperformers as with any brand, but they've been fine for me 'in class'. This one may end up in LTS (long term storage) for a few years with the other collectible, complete, unsullied scopes - so I don't bang'em up. Future presents. I have a couple few <Z>s down there. My Crescent (T) should get put away, but man, I love that thing - it's my 'period reference' for 60 900/910s. Anyhow - you can get a fine collection going with <Z>s & (T)s. Doesn't hurt to throw in a few of the ummm, 'more populars' - but optically they're not hard to match - or haven't been - and for less geld.

#8339 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

That looks a real peach! I don't have a really nice 50 like that - gotta fix that. Congrats!

• marcyc and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8340 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

How much the shipping?

#8341 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Speak of the devil, this popped up on Ottawa Kijiji today: <Z> 60*1000 mm. Never seen a 1000 mm version before:

https://www.kijiji.c...adId=1487894214

I've had enough 'good luck' with <Z> that I don't think it's luck any more. I'm sure there are underperformers as with any brand, but they've been fine for me 'in class'. This one may end up in LTS (long term storage) for a few years with the other collectible, complete, unsullied scopes - so I don't bang'em up. Future presents. I have a couple few <Z>s down there. My Crescent (T) should get put away, but man, I love that thing - it's my 'period reference' for 60 900/910s. Anyhow - you can get a fine collection going with <Z>s & (T)s. Doesn't hurt to throw in a few of the ummm, 'more populars' - but optically they're not hard to match - or haven't been - and for less geld.

• AstroKerr likes this

#8342 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:57 AM

How much the shipping?

I've never heard of or seen a Jason branded Asahi-Pentax, so I did a 'sold' search and the only $1 Jason that popped up had a $99 (to CA), shipping cost.

BTW, definitely not a A-P.

https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

#8343 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

I needed a set of simple decent Quality Huygens eyepieces for solar projection demonstrations with my Unitron Model 114 I didn’t want to use my Unitron Kellners and Symmetricals in the necessary range of f.l. for the job for fear of cementing issues developing with the larger heat load. So I ordered this RAO set from our friend Koji Matsumoto in Tokyo. They should be here in arounf two weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 746ECE6D-EE4E-4F87-82FC-1BF8FC5C3962.jpeg

• CharlieB, clamchip, Chuck Hards and 8 others like this

#8344 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:40 PM

I had a jason circle w branded refractor that looked very similar. 

Put up good views with a vixen diaginal and better eps. Gave that one away. 

Don't remember the model but the tag did read "space ranger" I couldn't resist but buy it.

To infinity and beyond!

• AstroKerr likes this

#8345 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Jason never sold a telescope produced by Asahi Pentax.  The eBay seller was confused or mis-remembered.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 2 others like this

#8346 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

As for the jason "space ranger" goes  it did a good job and now has a new home.

Attached Thumbnails

• 123_1.jpg

• Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#8347 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hey, don't get discouraged.  It was still a good deal and may put up good images.  It just wasn't what you thought it was.  Happens not infrequently in this hobby.

#8348 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

Please play nice and remember the TOS!

#8349 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

Jason never sold a telescope produced by Asahi Pentax.  The eBay seller was confused or mis-remembered.

There are a bunch of Towa-made 60x800 fracs sold by a bunch of brands that have the Asahi-style focuser, but the Finder is not in the Asahi style.  I don't recall seeing a JASON branded version, but years ago, there was an EMPIRE branded one on the GW site.  Strange, as I thought Jason / Empire were brands from the same importer...  (The first scope we bought our granddaughter was a Towa made Western Field -- a Montgomery Ward store brand -- 60x800 with a near Auburn-orange tube, and it does very well on the Moon & other typical longish frac objects.)

OKAY...  the eBay scope is a Jason Model 311 (per the label) in a Model 325 box.  Magnified, the glyph doesn't look like (VV) or (W) to me.  Looks more like a stylized (WY) with the Y branching off the W's center arch.  John, if you got it for a whopping $46, you got a good deal.  I seriously doubt it's an Asahi made for Vixen, or even a Towa made for Jason, but most of these 60x700 alt/az fracs have a decent objective -- it's the bundled accessories that are usually sub-par.

IMO, you got a better-performing scope in the Tasco 11TR.  Ya win some, ya lose some, and ya learn a little about a lot along the way -- seen my Signature Block??

Edited by Bomber Bob, 18 February 2020 - 10:48 PM.

#8350 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

I want a pretty one like this.

Great find

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics