•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
8518 replies to this topic

#8476 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

Just got a great deal on smooth-side 32mm TeleVue Plossl….Traded for 4 rolls of Charmin waytogo.gif

A true wad of bills...

• Exnihilo and JeniSkunk like this

#8477 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

Just got a great deal on smooth-side 32mm TeleVue Plossl….Traded for 4 rolls of Charmin waytogo.gif

I have one of those   my 32 does a fine job and it so

sweet

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 24 March 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#8478 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

I drove across the Hudson River and met the seller (GoodAsh) in the  parking lot to pick up this CG-5 for his  low low price 

It is the third time we have met there for hand offs. I bought his Unitron 140  and later some stuff from DMala's estate which he handled for the family.

The somewhat new protocol went like this.... I pull in and I  park ten feet away and opened my  trunk... The cash is in the trunk and has been there 2 days......Seller takes the mount from his trunk wipes down the mount and puts it in my trunk. He takes the cash and we chat  from ten feet away. We agree that extra precautions are not foolish. We do not apologize for being careful.... Agree to talk again ... hopefully at Neaf.

Finally, I will leave the mount in the trunk for a couple of days. The 17 year old sedan does not complain. 

Attached Thumbnails

• CGMountIMG_6812.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 25 March 2020 - 03:23 PM.

• tim53, photiost, Exnihilo and 8 others like this

#8479 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:13 PM

A CG5 is one of my most used mounts at outreaches.  It's not goto, but I really like the dual controls.

Edited by Garyth64, 25 March 2020 - 03:35 PM.

• Exnihilo, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#8480 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

I drove across the Hudson River and met the seller (Goodash) in the  parking lot to pick up this CG-5 for his  low low price 

It is the third time we have met there for hand offs. I bought his Unitron 140  and later some stuff from DMala's estate which he handled for the family.

The somewhat new protocol went like this.... I pull in and I  park ten feet away and opened my  trunk... The cash is in the trunk and has been there 2 days......Seller takes the mount from his trunk wipes down the mount and puts it in my trunk. He takes the cash and we chat  from ten feet away. We agree that extra precautions are not foolish. We do not apologize for being careful.... Agree to talk again ... hopefully at Neaf.

Finally, I will leave the mount in the trunk for a couple of days. The 17 year old sedan does not complain. 

Thank you for this description of how you made the transfer.  I personally think it's important that we talk frankly about how to safely make our classics purchases, particularly if we're working (or not) from home for an extended period of time.

-Tim.

• dusty99, KentTolley, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#8481 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

I drove across the Hudson River and met the seller (Goodash) in the  parking lot to pick up this CG-5 for his  low low price 

I recently sold some stuff on CL so was thinking about these kinds of face to face transactions. I thought if I was to do one now, I'd do what you guys did.

The funny thing is, they remind me of the exchanges you see in the movies for drug deals, hostages, kidnapping, and other criminal exchanges. grin.gif  

• tim53, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#8482 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

Love the mount.
My latest package is in quarantine until the weekend.

Around here no hand sanitizer or alcohol to be had.

So, I improvise. Not kidding. 

Be safe.

Attached Thumbnails

• rps202003clear24_151613.jpg

Edited by Russell Smith, 25 March 2020 - 02:58 PM.

• tim53, Deven Matlick, CCD-Freak and 4 others like this

#8483 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

I did a swap as well today , bought one of Bob Piekiels  CD ROM E book,  Celestron The Early Years 

But .....I got it from the MAN himself... he lives only a few miles away.  Now I got some serious reading to do.

He tells me 1800 pages, in PDF form.   We did the appropriate  thing considering the times we live in today.

He met me at the local gas station,  stayed outside, talked 6 ft away , discussed the CD, an auction I am considering ,

His updates and  the local outreach program which is on hold.

Since NY is on a lockdown, not a lot going on,  I still have to work as I am what's called essential services... and still getting paid...

So the next few days I will be doing  work and reading his E Book...

Stay safe everyone, stay aware,  wash those hands... 

Stevegeo.... 

• clamchip, deepwoods1 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8484 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

I drove across the Hudson River and met the seller (GoodAsh) in the  parking lot to pick up this CG-5 for his  low low price 

Under the circumstances we should abstain...A CG5 of all things could wait...

#8485 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

I have the Orion 100mm ED that rides on the Skyview Pro (basic CG5)  with dual motors.

Good combination, does a great job with the 100mm.

• Deven Matlick, Garyth64 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8486 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:25 PM

I have the Orion 100mm ED that rides on the Skyview Pro (basic CG5)  with dual motors.

Good combination, does a great job with the 100mm.

I've used a 5" Apogee refractor on my CG5 for years.  It is a great combination.

If it was for sale near me, I would have driven to get it.

Edited by Garyth64, 25 March 2020 - 08:34 PM.

• photiost, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#8487 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America’s Heartland

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

And don’t forget, when you get it home:

Attached Thumbnails

• 4B690CC9-9916-4A5F-95AF-6F093D11D658.jpeg

• Steve_M_M, Deven Matlick, madeline and 7 others like this

#8488 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

I sold someone a diagonal. He suggested he pay me via Paypal, and leave it for him to pick up at his convenience. He actually said in his messaging, "like a drug deal."

I never saw him. Worked out great.

Attached Thumbnails

• Social Distancing Tool.png

Edited by Littlegreenman, 25 March 2020 - 07:11 PM.

• Steve_M_M, Deven Matlick, Chuck Hards and 4 others like this

#8489 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

https://www.google.c...rN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

#8490 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:16 PM

Link not working. And thank you for liking my post!

#8491 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

I do indeed like the post.
Link really not important.
Just a song with bagpipes.

#8492 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

Boom . . .Boom . . . Boom, Boom, boom . . .

I've been to Alma, MI quite a few times for their Highland festival. It's known as Scotland USA.

Hae ye ever seen a fitba field stowed oot o' pipers?  Mak's th' locks oan mah back staun up whin ah hear thaim.   (Ye, wull ne'er firgaet it.)

When we buried my father, we had a piper at the cemetery.  He played solemn tunes.  But I asked him before hand, that for his last sad tune, I wanted him to start walking away back to his car and half way we planned for him to play a lively tune.  And as he played, his pipes slowly faded away.  My God, it was awesome!

Edited by Garyth64, 25 March 2020 - 09:03 PM.

• Augustus, Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and 2 others like this

#8493 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:40 PM

https://www.facebook...11/?d=null&vh=e

Hope this link works. 

• Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#8494 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM

Picked this up last weekend before the shelter in place order was given.  I had one of these many years ago that my son, age 5 at the time would use.  He called it a Nick (his name) sized telescope.

The owners said this one was purchased in the 1970's.  I think that makes it old.  I can find no date or anything anywhere to indicate age.  Any guesses?  Also, what is up with that silver barlow looking thing inside the focuser?  The black tube above with the silver tape is a barlow for sure and matches the picture in the catalog.  The catalog is junk as the ink on all the pages has melted and they are all stuck hopelessly together.

The focusing is done by some kind of foam that has worn down and no longer works.  Any suggestions for fixing it?

Attached Thumbnails

• D8B64793-D383-487B-9AB9-6DFE84ED3505.jpeg
  • 13750AA5-7BB7-438B-BF6B-9AA44D5AAFC9.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 27 March 2020 - 11:23 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#8495 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Take off the cover and inspect the recessed area around the focuser.  There should be a sticker with a hand-written serial number.

Your user's manual suggests it is one of the early ones, although the sun-warning sticker came later.  Hopefully, the serial number is still there.

Congrats on the pickup.

#8496 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

There is a spot on the inside of the focuser where it looks like a sticker may have been.  It is long gone.

#8497 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

That's too bad.  Some of the attributes suggest it is very early, but others suggest later, so someone might have put this one together over a period of time.  This makes it somewhat confusing to me.

For example:

1) Your booklet is titled "Wide-Field Telescope", instead of Astroscan, which is an early publication.

2)  The base of the telescope appears to be gray.  My understanding is that was only used for the first or earliest productions.

3)  As I mentioned before, it has the sun-warning sticker that came later.  How much later I don't know.

4)  The first dust covers simply had "Edmund" on them.  At some point it was changed to Astroscan.

5)  What does the badge on the glass plate covering the diagonal attachment point look like?  The first ones simply had a sticker with the Edmund emblem.  The later ones had a small piece of plastic, with varying information.

6)  The early telescopes had a chrome draw tube, the later ones were black.  

#8498 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:30 PM

That's too bad.  Some of the attributes suggest it is very early, but others suggest later, so someone might have put this one together over a period of time.  This makes it somewhat confusing to me.

For example:

smile.gif    1) Your booklet is titled "Wide-Field Telescope", instead of Astroscan, which is an early publication.

smile.gif  2)  The base of the telescope appears to be gray.  My understanding is that was only used for the first or earliest productions.

mad.gif 3)  As I mentioned before, it has the sun-warning sticker that came later.  How much later I don't know.

smile.gif     4)  The first dust covers simply had "Edmund" on them.  At some point it was changed to Astroscan.

mad.gif 5)  What does the badge on the glass plate covering the diagonal attachment point look like?  The first ones simply had a sticker with the Edmund emblem.  The later ones had a small piece of plastic, with varying information.

mad.gif  6)  The early telescopes had a chrome draw tube, the later ones were black.  

The base is gray, the dust cover has simply Edmund on it, the badge has a bunch of stuff *astroscan, patent #, Edmund, etc.), and the draw tube is black.

So, it looks like this one was maybe built during a time when everything was changing over.

here is the rubber that moves the focuser...

Attached Thumbnails

• AF4EBA1E-10CD-42AC-B6F9-2008A6E60374.jpeg
  • C5D5F501-9F44-496B-9609-263F06EEF27C.jpeg
  • 5929F039-CA85-4276-BD4D-1D2246B2691C.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 27 March 2020 - 01:53 PM.

• Deven Matlick and Bomber Bob like this

#8499 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

The ones with the patent numbers came later. Early ones had Patent Pend. I believe the finder was also a later accessory. 

Chip W. 

• Steve_M_M likes this

#8500 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

Nice!  Based on that, I have a full eyepiece collection sitting on the top storage shelf in my bathroom closet!

• ssagerian likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics