•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
8882 replies to this topic

#8751 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

Saturday I found a late70s early 80s
"Seikanon" 60mmx 700 scope, yoke mount, wood legs, half a diagonal and no eyepieces; the duplicatec of this highly regarded specimen:
https://astromart.co...-60mm-and-mount.
Im not an astromart member, but would love to know what he was asking for his.

I was happy to find mine, dusty and dewshield dented, for less than $20 at Good will. I like that its all metal, except the finder ends, and well balanced. Towa made in Japan, but the inspection sticker didnt survive the cleaning.
Will post a pic when its back together, after cleaning, relubing, flocking .

$20??  You done Good.  Mid-70s TOWA, so odds are, a good lens.  $190 for an incomplete unit on AM?  Keep Dreamin'

• Vesper818 likes this

#8752 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

Regarding jragsdale's June 30 posting #909 and clamchip's reply #913 about the Jeagers scope on an Optical Craftsman mount on top of what looks to be a home made hub and legs in the CL Ads forum last month, I rescued it. 

After stating to the sellers "if the glass is good I'll take it" they replied it's fine.

Not so much. Both objectives (main and finderscope) have severe cementing decay/discoloration in their doublets. See the second photo of the main objective against a gray/light blue cloth background. 

The interesting part is the images the main scope deliver are incredibly sharp, but I assume there was some light loss and of course the Moon looks rather amber.

I will be starting a thread in the Classic Telescopes forum as I don't know exactly what model this is, its focal length or f-ratio. 

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200702_085044T.jpg
  • 20200701_000750T.jpg

• John Rogers, clamchip, Marc-Andre and 8 others like this

#8753 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

What is the word starting with "WO" on the tube?

#8754 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

It's a plastic wrap (thankfully not a sticker) for "Woodside Priory" school. The former owners father taught an astronomy class there. 

Tom

• tim53 and shredder1656 like this

#8755 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

Nobody's found anything in four days? 

How about this, a Herter's 10x-25x30mm model JVIR27 "High Qualilty All Purpose Telescope With Achromatic Lens" in box, missing the table top tripod, circle with "T" not touching the circle logo. 

Push/pull focus, remarkably good views, good contrast, very sharp field stop. Above average for this type of scope.

Cute!

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1374T.jpg
  • DSC_1375T.jpg
  • DSC_1376T.jpg

• deepwoods1 and Mbinoc like this

#8756 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

My dad used to order lots of his hunting and fishing stuff from Herters.

• CCD-Freak and walter a like this

#8757 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Nobody's found anything in four days? 

How about this, a Herter's 10x-25x30mm model JVIR27 "High Qualilty All Purpose Telescope With Achromatic Lens" in box, missing the table top tripod, circle with "T" not touching the circle logo. 

Push/pull focus, remarkably good views, good contrast, very sharp field stop. Above average for this type of scope.

Cute!

Tom Duncan 

I  had one of those back in the 60s and here it is attached to my Sears 60mm EQ.  The one I had did not have the label like yours and I can't recall what name was on it (if any) and as I remember it came with a small table top tripod.  I also have no idea of what ever became of it.

60mmSears-JL-crop2.jpg

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 06 July 2020 - 08:22 PM.

• deepwoods1, Ken Sturrock, Terra Nova and 7 others like this

#8758 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

Wasn't that pic in S&T?  Jeez I'm old.

• CCD-Freak, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#8759 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

Thanks to whoever posted the eyepiece/accessory assortment on goodwill in the ads thread that came with the Zeiss Abbe Ortho 4mm. It arrived today from Canada. Overall, a nice bundle of accessories for $576. It included:

1-4mm Zeiss Abbe Ortho from the first run With both eyepiece caps (Package price was around the value of the ZAO, the 4mm doesn’t go for as much as the others)

2-Carl Zeiss Jena smooth top 10mm ortho and 1.25” adapter. Nice eyepiece in perfect condition. 
3-Takahashi 1.25” prism diagonal. Mint condition in box.

4-Takahashi 2” extension tube

5-Takahashi 1.25” hole plug

6-Celestron 0.965” hybrid mirror diagonal that can take .965 & 1.25” eyepieces. Cheap, plastic, made in China piece of junk in original box. 
7-Takahashi focuser knob.

Thats it. I figure about $800 of stuff, so not a terrible deal. The Tak diagonal is a duplicate for me, but I’ll keep it for now. Everything else I can use, except the Celestron diagonal, which is really good when buying a bundled package. 

Given what was in the bundle, and the CZJ 16 ortho, Televue stuff, and Zeiss Barlow all listed on the same Goodwill store in Canada, I keep waiting for a nice Takahashi scope to show up. If it does and someone here gets it, I have your focuser knob. 

• Steve_M_M, Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#8760 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

The Tak prism diagonals are excellent.  I use both .965" and 1.25".   They are my favorite diagonals for all my long refractors.

• Esso2112 and Bagwell like this

#8761 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

The Tak prism diagonals are excellent.  I use both .965" and 1.25".   They are my favorite diagonals for all my long refractors.

I have all three of the Tak prisms, the .965, the 1.25”, and the large prism with the 36.4mm thread instead of a nosepiece. They are all excellent.  Build quality on the 1.25” isn’t quite as good as the others (Too much plastic), but the prism is still first rate. 

Funny thing is that I sold my spare 1.25” a few months ago. I guess the Astro gods think I need two, so two I shall keep.

#8762 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:55 PM

Thanks to whoever posted the eyepiece/accessory assortment on goodwill in the ads thread that came with the Zeiss Abbe Ortho 4mm. It arrived today from Canada.

You're welcome. When I post these things, I always hope someone here will get them and appreciate them. I saw the Zeiss and immediately thought, "Whoa, this isn't a typical SGW lot." Then took a closer look and saw the Tak stuff as well, and posted it as quickly as I could. 

Chip W. 

• Esso2112 likes this

#8763 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:50 AM

gallery_279828_11275_21405.jpg

33TR in 90mm Vix rings riding an ES Twilight. Tasco tube 88mm diam, 72mm primary. Came with everything, so that quest is over. Needs glass cleaning, new spacer in the azimuth cup on the orig mount, shiny hw for the focuser mount and leg @ hub, wide 0.5~1.0mm thick shim in focuser. May change the coll screws to something knobbed, pop on a Meade 90° 6x30 finder from Bill or a spare CometChaser 5x24 90° for convenience - will paint it red first. Finder has good x-hairs, could use prettier thumbscrews, focuses nicely. All 3 eps surprisingly clean. These spindly twist-loc tripods and mounts are only (ever) so good, but when I get the 2° alt slop out with an az cup spacer, this'll be as good as they get. First one of these 3" & 4" Tascos I've had that arrived really needing collimation, with focuser & it's hw ready to fall off - but looking gorgeous.  DS-114 due in tomorrow and an LX-65 mount by week-end just for classics like this to ride tandem. back to the skies...

An hour and change later...

Add flocking to the list. actually, probably re-re-flocking. Let my eyes settle, contrast was poor. Dirty mirror + not-very-black paint - can see mask lines, looks like old stuff was blacker. harrumph. piddle. fine. blah-blih-bleh. Ran inside, grabbed 80ED, swapped, instant soothing gratification. fought off "why bother?" moment. Having "Why bother fighting off why bother moment?" moment. I'll fix it because I can and if I don't it'll bug me. I'll fix it for a nostalgic future night so I can look back and laugh at my annoyance and admire my most bestest 33TR on it's tweaked mount or the LX-65 and think "I healed that a bit - it's better than it ever was and as good as it can ever be! Yee-haw!" fluff-puff-pfft. Sometimes, the magick ebbs..."Why this when that..." haunts one. And I miss Max (I grabbed a jerky for him when I grabbed the 80 for me) - we were a team - raggedy, eccentric, but a team. Bella's not on board yet - she likes to sleep at night still. 

It's not fair to burden any scope with 'other things'. Be safe, be well. 

Edited by AstroKerr, 08 July 2020 - 02:34 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and Mbinoc like this

#8764 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

I got a deal then? APO like views, too. 😁 I cant wait for first light!

You got a good deal, but who would pay $190 for the one on AM?

APO like views? I hope your kidding as you probably know it's basically the same as a Tasco 9TE-2.

Kasmos think you hit the nail right on the head looks just like a Tasco Towa 9TE-2, here's my example, cuit little Towa but really $190, it's only mediocre at best?

9TE#2r.jpg

9TE#3r.jpg

I didn't, and would't pay that much for a Royal Astro Tasco 10TE. Nothing mediocre about any of them.

• Kasmos and Mbinoc like this

#8765 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

Yes, that does look almost identical. Minor difference on mine are the plastic knobs on focuser and yoke bolts.
Still working on the Seikanon, first light may be as early as Saturday. The Astromart ad is quite amusing. I wonder if he has gotten any bites with the hype. I did order an achromat that should work as a new objective for the finder. Everything has cleaned up well and the paint job turned out satisfactorily.
Carol

#8766 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

Kasmos think you hit the nail right on the head looks just like a Tasco Towa 9TE-2, here's my example, cuit little Towa but really $190, it's only mediocre at best?

attachicon.gif9TE#2r.jpg

attachicon.gif9TE#3r.jpg

I didn't, and would't pay that much for a Royal Astro Tasco 10TE. Nothing mediocre about any of them

Just remember that when I put my 10TE-5 up for sale. lol.gif

(My 9TE-5 is very mediocre, and it is in excellent condition.  asking price . . . maybe it would be about $100.)

Edited by Garyth64, 08 July 2020 - 06:18 PM.

#8767 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

Thanks to whoever posted the eyepiece/accessory assortment on goodwill in the ads thread that came with the Zeiss Abbe Ortho 4mm. It arrived today from Canada. Overall, a nice bundle of accessories for $576. It included:

1-4mm Zeiss Abbe Ortho from the first run With both eyepiece caps (Package price was around the value of the ZAO, the 4mm doesn’t go for as much as the others)

2-Carl Zeiss Jena smooth top 10mm ortho and 1.25” adapter. Nice eyepiece in perfect condition. 
3-Takahashi 1.25” prism diagonal. Mint condition in box.

4-Takahashi 2” extension tube

5-Takahashi 1.25” hole plug

6-Celestron 0.965” hybrid mirror diagonal that can take .965 & 1.25” eyepieces. Cheap, plastic, made in China piece of junk in original box. 
7-Takahashi focuser knob.

Thats it. I figure about $800 of stuff, so not a terrible deal. The Tak diagonal is a duplicate for me, but I’ll keep it for now. Everything else I can use, except the Celestron diagonal, which is really good when buying a bundled package. 

Given what was in the bundle, and the CZJ 16 ortho, Televue stuff, and Zeiss Barlow all listed on the same Goodwill store in Canada, I keep waiting for a nice Takahashi scope to show up. If it does and someone here gets it, I have your focuser knob. 

Nice to see Goodwill ships one way, but too bad they don't ship the other.  Conus, conus, conus!!

#8768 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

Nice to see Goodwill ships one way, but too bad they don't ship the other.  Conus, conus, conus!!

I was surprised that they shipped from Canada to the US, actually. They did an excellent packing job as well.  I was afraid everything would just be put in a box with some packing material. No, every piece was nicely wrapped in bubble wrap with extra packing all the way around. If it was a US Goodwill store, everything would have just been thrown in the box.

Edited by Esso2112, 08 July 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#8769 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

At lunch time I stopped in a local thrift store today, and just brought this 90mm Meade home with me.

1.JPG

I also saw it there a few weeks ago and at the time it was priced at about two and a half times the cost it was today, and I passed it up.

When I stopped by today and noticed the price dropped down to $35, I realized that I can only handle so much temptation and it came home with me. (I'm surprised no one else picked it up before me).

While setting it up for the first time I wanted to see if its rings would also fit this vixen mount in the photo, it came with another.

Its one of the few scopes I have picked up that were mostly complete and free of dents or scratches. It came in the box and was just missing one eyepiece.

In this hobby I have always been under mounted, and now even more so, This scope is heavier than it appears.

Edited by Mbinoc, 09 July 2020 - 03:32 PM.

• photiost, RichA, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#8770 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:20 PM

Uh...  Another Meade Model 390 AZ (Goodwill Online):

Meade 390 S01 - Unpacked (Complete Scope).jpg Meade 390 S08 - Unpacked (Label).jpg

OTA is in overall good condition.  No dents or deep scratches, but lots of dirt & grime.  GW packed the scope 100% Set Up -- slo-mo cables connected, and OTA on the mount.  They folded the OTA towards to tripod, put a 6" x 24" paper shield in between, then encased the kit in 6" thick packing paper pads -- must've cut down about half the trees in Oregon...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 July 2020 - 02:31 PM.

• photiost, Terra Nova, Allanbarth1 and 2 others like this

#8771 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

Model 390 - Eye Candy

Meade 390 S02 - Unpacked (Eyepiece End).jpg Meade 390 S03 - Unpacked (Objective End).jpg

Meade 390 S04 - Unpacked (Accessories).jpg Meade 390 S05 - Unpacked (Lens Cell Removed).jpg

The Accessories:  One of those el-cheapo all plastic mirror diagonals (ala the ES FL-AR102) that's totally worthless.  A Meade 40mm Super Plossl that reminds me of GSO stuff.  A generic 65* Wide Angle 20mm.  And, a Sirius 10mm Plossl.  I will not use any of these in my testing.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 July 2020 - 06:32 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#8772 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

Meade 390 - Jekyll / Hyde Lens

Meade 390 S06 - Unpacked (Lens Rear Face CU).jpg Meade 390 S07 - Unpacked (Lens Sky Face CU).jpg

I had to use one of vinyl strap wrenches to get the cell off.  Don't think it's ever been removed.  Rear face is pristine -- no dust / dirt  Sky face is dusty & dirty, but no clams -- sorry, Robert!  Gonna DPAC it after a basic cleaning -- got some other lenses to test, too.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 July 2020 - 02:28 PM.

• photiost, clamchip, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#8773 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:46 PM

Bomber Bob, "Yep, that is the exact same model scope". Mine came with a Meade Alt-Azimuth mount, the same diagonal, and one Meade MA25 eye piece.

The part list on the box only lists one 25mm eyepiece, so I guess there is not even one missing like I first thought. The box packaging material has room for two eyepieces.

They seem to be a nice all metal scope, except for the focusing knobs which are plastic.

Here is the parts list:

2.JPG

I also have a 90mm Celestron Scope, and for me it will be interesting to see which one will win the eventual comparison. This Meade has already won in build quality, but that is not what interests me the most.

Edited by Mbinoc, 09 July 2020 - 03:42 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#8774 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

Congratulations to you both. Those 90mm Taiwan Meades were made just after production was moved out of Japan and are reported to have good optics. I'll be interested in seeing your DPAC results JW. F11? 

• Bomber Bob and Mbinoc like this

#8775 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

About to DPAC it.  Lens cleaned up nice.  There's one small sleek in the coating -- looks like somebody wiped a booger on it...

DPAC......... Never Lies!

Focal Length = 1000mm +/- 5mm  (Pretty sure it's exactly as published.)

At Focus:  No Zones.  

Inside Focus:  I see a very very slight over-correction.

Outside Focus:  Nice Jail Bars!

I don't have any 90mm refractors (one reason I bought this one), so I compared it that cheap Explore Scientific FL-AR102 F10, and my Dakin 4" F10.  Pattern is in-between these 2 fracs.  Thinner bars than the ES, but not even close to the Dakin's pattern.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 July 2020 - 06:44 PM.

• Bagwell and Mbinoc like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics