•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
8899 replies to this topic

#8851 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

No Lie:  I was getting ready to move my APM 152ED to the shed when the doorbell rang, and the USPS delivered that SP-C102 OTA with the gimpy / clammy lens...

C102 - First Setup S03 (Mizar - FULL Left Side).jpg C102 - First Setup S01 (Mizar - FULL Right Side).jpg

Seeing may hit 8+ with nary a cloud in the sky.  I need to tell my Pastor that I must be living right...

Checked the Newton Rings first thing, and they're ideal -- as close to perfect as I can see.  Gave the scope a quick wipe-down, sighted the excellent finder, and she's ready to be tested...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 01 August 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• CCD-Freak, Pete W, starman876 and 15 others like this

#8852 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

No Lie:  I was getting ready to move my APM 152ED to the shed when the doorbell rang, and the USPS delivered that SP-C102 OTA with the gimpy / clammy lens...

attachicon.gifC102 - First Setup S03 (Mizar - FULL Left Side).jpg

Seeing may hit 8+ with nary a cloud in the sky.  I need to tell my Pastor that I must be living right...

Checked the Newton Rings first thing, and they're ideal -- as close to perfect as I can see.  Gave the scope a quick wipe-down, sighted the excellent finder, and she's ready to be tested...

Nice find! Those are nice scopes. I had one for a while. They are heavy for their size. Being a 4” F9.8,  I’ll be interested in how it compare with your ATM 4” F10. Looks like you are building up again.

#8853 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:07 AM

attachicon.gifC102 - First Setup S03 (Mizar - FULL Left Side).jpg

I thought once you go Apo, you don't go Achro. scratchhead2.gif

BTW, I was checking my scope's Newton Rings and of course both Vixens were dead center.

Edited by Kasmos, 01 August 2020 - 03:08 AM.

• Terra Nova, PawPaw and Augustus like this

#8854 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:06 AM

No, not building up...  The Meade 390 & this C102 aren't for my Collection, they're for future / post-retirement public viewing.  If someone dents either of these, I won't have a melt-down, like I would with one of my Keepers.

My AT102ED is a very fine frac (and a great value!), but there are objects / views where I prefer the Dakin 4.

This C102 has all those small clams, and I wanted to see how they impact performance.  And, I was impressed with that C4.5 Newt, so this scope is also a build / hardware quality sample...

** My thread for this C102 is here:   https://www.cloudyni...y-clammy-vixen/

Edited by Bomber Bob, 01 August 2020 - 03:08 PM.

• Terra Nova, Esso2112 and AstroKerr like this

#8855 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

The Vixen line was the only Celestron scopes i was happy with minus just two SCT's they made. Other than that i was never happy with any Celestron made scopes and i have had many.  The Vixen stuff don't count as Celstron did not make them. Never had a bad Vixen anything.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#8856 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

I still have one of these pluse a Vixen GP to put it on.   I do not use it much anymore since I have been in APO heaven.  

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8857 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:49 AM

The Vixen line was the only Celestron scopes i was happy with minus just two SCT's they made. Other than that i was never happy with any Celestron made scopes and i have had many.  The Vixen stuff don't count as Celstron did not make them. Never had a bad Vixen anything.

Are you bashing the entire Celestron line of scopes?  Your scope reviews tend to the extremes.  Scopes are either fantastic or pure and useless junk.

Edited by KentTolley, 01 August 2020 - 10:51 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#8858 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

My thoughts exactly! Since I went apo, I haven’t purchased a single achro in any class size.I have however dispensed with several achros in each class size since moving that way and moving on.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#8859 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

My thoughts exactly! Since I went apo, I haven’t purchased a single achro in any class size.I have however dispensed with several achros in each class size since moving that way and moving on.

Makes sense to me. I really get annoyed by a lot of CA so except for keeping a couple of select classics, I'd probably dispose of most. I don't know if it was just the seeing (it's been terrible lately), but the other night my SP-C80 appeared a bit too colorful for my liking on Jupiter and Saturn. IMO, It's a shame Celestron didn't market the f/15 version in the states. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#8860 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

Are you bashing the entire Celestron line of scopes?  Your scope reviews tend to the extremes.  Scopes are either fantastic or pure and useless junk.

I only had two Celestron SCT's i would call super good out of over 20.  The China made stuff they sold in the later 90's was also not that great.  A Comet catcher was also pretty sad i had in 1986. The later made Newts were also not that great. While many Meade SCT's made in the 90's were all very good. Meade also had it's share of duds.

After owning over 250 scopes some are gonna be bad.  But one 1984 C8 and one 2002 made C5 were the best SCT's i ever had.

#8861 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

I still use achros.  At f/20, the uncorrected color is as good as the best APOs, which, incidentally are NOT color-free.  Run the power up on the best APO made and you'll still see that purple fringe.  If you want a perfectly color-corrected OTA, it has to be reflective.  No getting around it, at least with current materials science.

Some folks enjoy collecting telescopes for reasons other than their optical quality, that's pretty obvious seeing what gets posted around here.   Historical reasons, provenance, rarity, nostalgia, maybe just curiosity...  why rain on their parade- again and again and again... let it go.

My 2 cents.   

• Pete W, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#8862 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

I've called the Refractor Forum the APO Forum... (and the Reflector Forum may as well be the DOB Forum)  I would think that vintage achromatic refractors would have a safe harbor on the Classics Forum...

I understand folks collecting achromatics while preferring to use their APOs:  How often do I use my antique Mogey 3 versus my Astro Optical?

And I agree with Chuck:  If you want a true APO, use a Reflector.  So it seems we're talking about degrees of tolerance for CA / false color.  My AO has less than my Mogey, but more than my fluorite.

As for my Dakin 4, the first view that popped in my head that I prefer over the 102ED is the Double Cluster.  I don't care that the individual stars aren't natural, they are microscopic yet brilliant, and the way the Dakin frames the view is picture-perfect to me.

On Topic:  During the first cleaning, I saw that the C102 as only 2 baffles in the tube, while the Dakin 4 has that modular baffle system.  I predict that the background sky will be noticeably darker in the Dakin.  As for lens quality, we'll see.

• Pete W likes this

#8863 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:28 AM

My only achros anymore are my four 60mm achro classics (Zeiss, Unitron, Swift, and Mayflower), and my little ATM 80mm F5 RFT, (and a 4” F5 RFT I’m building). I don’t mind them for short fast Rich Field Teles above 60mm because their just fun little dust brooms for sweeping up star dust.

• Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#8864 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

Yesterday I finally had time to pick up the Meade DS-16 mount that was listed on astromart recently.  The seller was a great guy and generously tossed in a tripod that had been with a CI-700 mount.  He had started an adapter tube to enable him to put the Meade mount on the tripod, but I'm thinking I might use it with my NJP mount for when I want to put a Cass on the NJP.  I do already have the tall wooden tripod, but like the look and heft of the CI-700 tripod.  

The Meade mount was missing the legs, but came with two of the 40 or 45 pound counterweights, an accessory tray (we didn't sell many of these in the day), and the dec tangent arm (but without the motor).  I have an extra set of Meade legs now that I've gotten a set of japanese legs that will fit the 5" pier under the 4" Goto refractor better than the Meades currently holding it up.  I'm contemplating mounting the 10" f/6 Optical Craftsmen OTA on the Meade mount, perhaps using the Cave rotating rings that are currently on the 10" DK (which doesn't need them).  I'd just have to make a pair of radius blocks to go to the flat saddle.  All in my spare time, of course!

-Tim.

• Steve_M_M, John Rogers, clamchip and 8 others like this

#8865 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:05 PM

BTW, I was checking my scope's Newton Rings and of course both Vixens were dead center.

Unless the achro you have handily bests various apos, fast ones.  And you can tolerate a long focal length.

#8866 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:39 AM

This might better be characterized as a loss rather than a find, but I have to post.  Many of you are familiar with my VW pickup, because I've used it to haul my 12.5" f/7 Cave Transportable Observatory that won't fit in pretty much anything else on the road that isn't a monster in its own right.  I've also used it as a 5.5'x 8.5' workbench for the better part of 30 years.  I bought it in 1982 with no engine and a bent rear axle, for $300.  It's had at least 3 engines since then and paid for itself many times over hauling stuff.  I'm about to sell it for $9000.  Not bad, considering I don't have to list it and the buyer is going to pick it up along with a bed-full of spare parts I've collected over the years. (there's an adage that goes "if you take a VW engine apart and put it back together enough times, pretty soon you'll have two of them":  The buyer will be getting one complete "spare" engine and many of the parts for two more).

Now, I have hauled the Cave up to Mt Pinos in my van, but loading the mount head in through the back door, I managed to bust a taillight with the dec shaft.  Will have to devise a better way to carry that - like maybe loading it through the side door with the engine hoist...

Anyway, this is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, perhaps surprisingly.  After all, I've had that truck for 38 years!  (Imagine what it will be like if I ever have to sell my 29 Fordor sedan!  I've had that for 50 years!)

-Tim.

post-6788-14073919076626_thumb.jpg

• CCD-Freak, John Rogers, clamchip and 10 others like this

#8867 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:09 AM

post-6788-14073919076626_thumb.jpg

This photo gives us a much better idea of how massive the Cave observatory head actually is.  How much does it weigh?  If you install this scope on a permanent pier at Cosmic Acres, its transportation becomes a non- issue, but you still will need to get it out to Joshua Tree.  I'm sure you have a plan for that.  The telescope gods, Tom Cave and the classic telescope community will shine on you for having put this marvelous instrument back into working order if it ever was.   Either way, it's been waiting a long time to become operational.  I am looking forward to seeing photos of its installation and of the planets and heavens through its optics.  This is sweet!

Edited by KentTolley, 04 August 2020 - 09:41 AM.

• astro140, Terra Nova, Augustus and 1 other like this

#8868 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

It brings tears to my eyes I wish I still had Pickle my green '65 VW camperbawling.gif

I wonder if in anyway one of these Harbor Freight hydraulic lift tables will

help. Here I'm using one with my ex C14bawling.gif you can set it van bed height

and use a piano trolly or furniture moving dolly.

Robert  

post-50896-0-93920200-1526142421.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 04 August 2020 - 09:41 AM.

• tim53, KentTolley, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#8869 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

What a beauty/beast. It looks to be in very nice condition.

Edited by KentTolley, 04 August 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#8870 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

Years ago we used a "Hi Jack" on a lot of jobs.

Here's one in action:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-Lnko9bLl04

Robert

• tim53 likes this

#8871 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

This photo gives us a much better idea of how massive the Cave observatory head actually is.  How much does it weigh? 

Having disassembled a Cave 12.5" Observatory model and owned it for a couple of years, I can tell you that the all-up weight of the telescope is close to 700 lbs.   The mount is probably close to 600.  

• KentTolley and Augustus like this

#8872 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:04 PM

This might better be characterized as a loss rather than a find, but I have to post.  Many of you are familiar with my VW pickup, because I've used it to haul my 12.5" f/7 Cave Transportable Observatory that won't fit in pretty much anything else on the road that isn't a monster in its own right.  I've also used it as a 5.5'x 8.5' workbench for the better part of 30 years.  I bought it in 1982 with no engine and a bent rear axle, for $300.  It's had at least 3 engines since then and paid for itself many times over hauling stuff.  I'm about to sell it for $9000.  Not bad, considering I don't have to list it and the buyer is going to pick it up along with a bed-full of spare parts I've collected over the years. (there's an adage that goes "if you take a VW engine apart and put it back together enough times, pretty soon you'll have two of them":  The buyer will be getting one complete "spare" engine and many of the parts for two more).

Now, I have hauled the Cave up to Mt Pinos in my van, but loading the mount head in through the back door, I managed to bust a taillight with the dec shaft.  Will have to devise a better way to carry that - like maybe loading it through the side door with the engine hoist...

Anyway, this is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, perhaps surprisingly.  After all, I've had that truck for 38 years!  (Imagine what it will be like if I ever have to sell my 29 Fordor sedan!  I've had that for 50 years!)

-Tim.

Tim, I thought you were posting this just to show how massive the mount is. This is one of those times when we could use a 'don't like' button. I say that since I'm a bit of a VW enthusiast. I'm still driving our '87 Golf GT (til it dies), and have had my '73 Thing since '86.

Edited by Kasmos, 05 August 2020 - 01:35 AM.

• tim53 and Terra Nova like this

#8873 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

At one time, I had 7 split-windshield VW buses at one time.  I don't think I paid more than a few hundred bucks for any of them.  I sold my workhorse 67 standard microbus in 94 when I bought my first Eurovan.  I put almost 500K miles on the 67 over 19 years.  I plan to keep my 2001 Eurovan Weekender for many years to come.  It just passed 210K miles.  It's a great telescope hauler, and could even move the 12.5" Cave with some planning for loading and unloading that mount.  If I put it in an observatory, of course, it only needs to be moved one more time.  But I keep it fully assembled at our LA house, and can roll it in and out of the garage for use on planets.

My dad had a 1951 bug with an Okrasa supercharger.  He called it his "poor man's porche".  wink.gif

• KentTolley and Kasmos like this

#8874 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

I almost bought a ‘62? Yellow convertible bug when I got out of high school in 67 for going ogg to college, but instead wound up a yellow ‘64 Chevelle Malibu SuperSport replete with a set of four Crager mags. Dam, I wish I still had that car! 

• strdst, walter a and Senex Bibax like this

#8875 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

this is an enjoyable thread as long as no one is bashing scopes lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics