•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8923 replies to this topic

#76 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

I figured there was a better solution - I saw a bidding war for an LAR a few weeks ago that went quickly north of $50 (ended up at almost $80, amazing)  I figured I did OK after the bidding up that was happening back in April and May (when I was trying to put together a travel scope).  We'll see.

i wanted to get a C90 because my ETX is just so dainty - I'd be afraid to carry it on a trip.  I know how Celestron engineered things in the old days, though.  I used to carry my orange C5 in the trunk of my car a couple of months a year (I'd never do that in TX).  My manual ETX is beautiful, but it just feels fragile, even off of the mount.

Tile Guy, from the backdrop, I finally get it after all this time.

Edited by DocFinance, 10 August 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#77 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

The new Tasco arrived today!

I just ran across this very similar Selsi Shot shell scope.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item233ee9494e

#78 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've been observing with this spotter for a while now and it is absolutely stunning.
I have a feeling if I see a B&L telescope for sale I'm going to think very VERY seriously about buying it!

Yep, I have one of those too.  Excellent optics.  But no diagonal makes it hard on the neck.  I managed to find a few eyepieces for it, for using it at the range.  Same eyepieces as a Bushnell Spacemaster.

Edit:  I even use mine on a vintage Tilt-All too.  I don't have the pipe-clamp mount, though - I've adapted a Swift tabletop tripod and use that head on the big one when I need to.  Good old Velcro strap to hold it together.

Now that I think of it, I pamper that BalScope more than I pamper my astro stuff.  Always have.  It certainly has a nicer case than anything else I have.

The eyepieces were sheer luck.  I got it with the standard range 20x eyepiece, which has good eye relief but nothing else.  Then I found a 15 at a local SC store chain that was being bought out by Wolf Camera, just by chance.  Then the others (20x and 60x) I got from one of the old supply houses in CT that advertised in S&T all the time.  For B&L eyepieces the ad said "Call" so I did.  I think I paid almost nothing for them, but they are all amazing. One is actually a Spacemaster EP, but it's identical to the other.  If I had a bino mount that would be perfect.

Edited by DocFinance, 10 August 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#79 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

I've been observing with this spotter for a while now and it is absolutely stunning.
I have a feeling if I see a B&L telescope for sale I'm going to think very VERY seriously about buying it!

Yep, I have one of those too.  Excellent optics.  But no diagonal makes it hard on the neck.  I managed to find a few eyepieces for it, for using it at the range.  Same eyepieces as a Bushnell Spacemaster.

Oh I love that BALscope. It is shatteringly good. I use it every day. It is superb at everything. Except for astronomy because like you say hard on the neck. But it excels at astronomy too, the field is wonderfully wide and  scalpel sharp and zero false color.

Attached Thumbnails

• BaLscope 004.JPG

Edited by actionhac, 10 August 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#80 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

I take it that BALscope means Bausch And Lomb scope, right?  I've seen the name applied to several different styles of B&L spotter, so I assume it's just a generic term for a B&L spotter instead of specific model.

#81 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I take it that BALscope means Bausch And Lomb scope, right?  I've seen the name applied to several different styles of B&L spotter, so I assume it's just a generic term for a B&L spotter instead of specific model.

I thought it was the proper name - the BalScope Ten is a 10x model, and the big one is a BalScope 60.  I don't have any paperwork on mine, though.  Maybe the ones on eBay at $599 BIN have docs. :lol:

#82 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

This model was  called a "BALscope".

At some point this model was called a "BALscope Sr." and a that time Bausch & Lomb was also making a "BALscope Jr." a drawtube spotting telescope.

B&L also made the BALscope Zoom 60mm 15X-60X.

#83 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

And there was one that came with the turret head on the prism case.  Or maybe that was an upgrade.

just looked through ebay again, and it looks like this was the Balscope Sr.

see page 3 of this pdf

http://www.gunsmagaz...ssues/G0156.pdf

Edited by DocFinance, 11 August 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#84 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

This BALscope Zoom was purchased by my wife's grandpa in the early 60's and has survived all the generations of kids growing up,  and salt spray at our family cabin. It is mechanically and optically  still like new..

Attached Thumbnails

• Lopez 8-13 013.JPG

Edited by actionhac, 13 August 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#85 DocFinance

DocFinance

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

I figured there was a better solution - I saw a bidding war for an LAR a few weeks ago that went quickly north of $50 (ended up at almost $80, amazing)  I figured I did OK after the bidding up that was happening back in April and May (when I was trying to put together a travel scope).  We'll see.

i wanted to get a C90 because my ETX is just so dainty - I'd be afraid to carry it on a trip.  I know how Celestron engineered things in the old days, though.  I used to carry my orange C5 in the trunk of my car a couple of months a year (I'd never do that in TX).  My manual ETX is beautiful, but it just feels fragile, even off of the mount.

Tile Guy, from the backdrop, I finally get it after all this time.

Tile Guy had an LAR for auction today, the final was $90 with shipping.  Judas Priest!

#86 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern TN

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

Picture yourself at the controls.... 4" 155c (motor not mounted in pic)CAM00260s.jpg

#87 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Wow Jim, that is a beautiful scope! Most folks don't realize how big a 4" Unitron is until they see a person standing next to one. Welcome to the 4" Unitron club. You kept mum on that one!  :grin:

#88 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

Nice unitron.  Love this 4"  unitrons. Terra is absolutely correct.  No one has a clue of the size of a 152 until you see the pictures with someone standing next to one.  They are not a scope for people with back trouble.

#89 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

So true!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by terraclarke, 16 August 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#90 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

So true!

Terra:

Your earlier comment was correct, the mount is taller than a G11.  I'm doing too much traveling to mess with this so it'll be a library queen for awhile.

As you have stated and Johann alludes to, these are pretty heavy setups.  You must be in wicked shape to hand carry that out the basement door.

Jim

#91 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi Jim,

its a multi-stage process:

1. Remove OTA, then counterweights

2. Collapse tripod and carry it and mount out the door and to the backyard observing pad and setup tripod and mount outside. (This process is so much easier and les risky with the heavy chain spreader I made for the tripod that is attached with eye hook screws and carabiners.)

3. Bring out counterweights, tray, eyepiece box and OTA, put on a) tray, b) counterweights, then c) OTA.

The entire process can be done and set up for viewing in 15 minutes. 

#92 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

The head and legs are still quite handful. Chain is a great idea!  The tray is only useful when setting up on a level surface.

This rig doesn't have a scratch anywhere except on the protective rings mounted on the guide scope.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20140803-00816s.jpg

#93 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Went off-topic, sorry Dan.

Edited by fjs, 16 August 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#94 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

I don't have it yet. It doesn't come until Wednesday. :(  "new telescope"

I'm nearly 60 and still fidget and pace around like some kid awaiting Christmas or birthday presents.

#95 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I don't have it yet. It doesn't come until Wednesday. :(  "new telescope"

I'm nearly 60 and still fidget and pace around like some kid awaiting Christmas or birthday presents.

That's a nice scope.   I have the same one although missing alot of parts.  I only have the OTA, mount and tripod.

#96 midnitexplorer

midnitexplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Heres my "score-O-the day" picked up locally.  Towa 76mm x 600 Cat.  Very smooth but needs collimating.  A great deal at $30cdn .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3585_2.jpg

#97 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Heres my "score-O-the day" picked up locally.  Towa 76mm x 600 Cat.  Very smooth but needs collimating.  A great deal at $30cdn .

Nice score on the Towa

#98 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Picture yourself at the controls.... 4" 155c (motor not mounted in pic)attachicon.gifCAM00260s.jpg

Wow--and I thought my 142 was big!  That's an incredible beauty, Jim. I don't think I could fit it in my house!

#99 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

The head and legs are still quite handful. Chain is a great idea!  The tray is only useful when setting up on a level surface.

This rig doesn't have a scratch anywhere except on the protective rings mounted on the guide scope.

Jim

Like yours Jim, mine also barely clears the beam ceiling where I keep it here in a corner next to the French doors waiting ready to go out for observing.

Attached Thumbnails

• U152-2.jpg

Edited by terraclarke, 17 August 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#100 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

The current Celestron prime-focus T-adapter fits my orange-tube C-90.  Just got one from High Point Scientific, Celestron #93635-A T-Adapter MAK.  

The threaded ring gets a bit snug before it bottoms-out, but it does tighten down all the way.  Another way to attach a camera without relying on a .965" barrel and the setscrew.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics