•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Transport Case for 8se

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I would like to get my 8se road ready. A short 30 minute drive would put me in better observing sights. I am case shopping and narrowed it down to 2 models. I have looked at the JMI case and to be honest, I think who ever set the price for that is off their rocker.

Celestron makes a case for the 8se that I like because I can keep the mount attached. It also has a big zipper compartment that could prove usefull.
https://www.astronom...r-8-925-inch...

Then there is the Sirius soft shell case made specifically for the 8se also.
http://www.siriustec...h_DFB14258s.htm

There wasnt a picture of the inside but they also make one for the 8i and it shows basically how they set up a case.
http://www.siriustec...h_DFB14258i.htm

The Celestron looks as though you need to adjust the tube/rail to fit it in the case but the Sirius looks as though it stores the opposite way. However the Celestron looks like it protects the scope better and puts the stresses where it should be.

This will also be used for closet storage as I am sick of everyone bumping in to the assembled scope.

I would appreciate any experiences with either of these two models or even just some observations.

Regards
Sonny

#2 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Something like this from Home Depot or Walmart and large enough to hold the original packing material will work just fine.

http://www.homedepot...e-FG3A05H2MI...
  • Spacefreak1974 and lkannard like this

#3 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

+1 on the Rubbermaid case. I bought one and I'm using the original packing that came with the scope. It's easily long enough and wide enough to hold the OTA on its mount, and it costs less than a tenth of what the so-called pro cases get.

#4 drwho41963

drwho41963

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

I just bought the NexStar 8SE and you just sold me on the Rubbermaid. That's crazy how much they want for those cases.

#5 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks guys but I need one that stands up longways for where it will b stored. Also, that looks huge to carry.
Just an observation, but the original foam is made to fit the mount separate from the tube and the tube needs to have the finder removed. Is that why you are suggesting such a long box?

#6 kentw

kentw

Lift Off

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Sonny,

I have the Celestron case. It is too expensive. I must have been off my rocker! Falls somewhere between a hard and soft case: Won't be able to sit on it. It has plenty of room and a strap to hold the telescope & mount. The handle does not elicit confidence. I find the case bulky while climbing stairs.

You may also want to look at Pacific Design, http://casesandcover...copecases.html. Several CN members recommend them. The padded bag for the 9.25 OTA is 27"x13"x13", plenty for the Nexstar 8SE. Will it be stable standing on end? Contact them.

Kent

#7 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

The bag that fits the CPC800 also fits the fork so that would work. The price for that one with shipping is $215 so it is only a few bucks cheaper than the Sirius. The problem I have wuth the Sirius is Im not sure if it could be stood up. BTW I can get the Celestron bag for $269 and free shipping.

#8 kentw

kentw

Lift Off

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Sonny,

OPT offers free shipping on most Pacific Design bags. They also offer a discount if you join their rewards program. The dimensions on OPT's website for the 9.25" don't match what I was given by Pacific Design so if you go that route make sure it is the same bag.

The Sirius case looks good. I don't have any experience with it. The only drawback being large size. Don't see any reason you couldn't stand it on end.

Kent

#9 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

My vote is for the rubbermade also. I took some old feather pillows and lined the bottom of it, then I took some egg crate foam and cut it like a blanket. I put the scope on the fork in the container and wrap the egg crate around it. I do suggest removing the finder scope before packing your scope. It can break off.

#10 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

The Rubbermaid box is just an example of how much space you can get for such a small cost compared to the custom cases. There are many manufacturers and size/shapes available. You might decide on two smaller cases that can be stacked for transport.

#11 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hi Sony:

I use a Beato equipment case. It is what I'd call semi-rigid, but will stand on end like you want. The bottom panel, and the two ends are stiff. The top and the long side panels are soft. It has thin padding in the walls. You can get it on amazon in a 25" length (what I have), or a 36" length that will allow room for extra stuff.

http://www.amazon.co...5/dp/B000A1JTLA
http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B000B2L3DU

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Dan
  • dagadget likes this

#12 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

i like the rubbermade case for the scope as it allows me to bring the scope outside for cooling, protected from dew, rain and snow ( you never know when you leave your scope out for two hours what the weather will be

#13 Budso86

Budso86

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I got a 6" celestron evolution....I used the original packaging and built a box around it. I have the take the finderscope off but that's better than payin those crazy prices that those cases are. Seems to work great so far.
Bryan

#14 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I design medical devices for a living. Im around machine shops all day everyday. I dont want to design, build, or modify anything in my free time.

Im all about the creditcarded turnkey solution. :jump:
  • Glenilacqua likes this

#15 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

IMO, it's safer to transport or carry the OTA and optics in a separate bag or box from the mount. Put everything together when you get to the observing site. It will take you all of about ten minutes.

Mike

#16 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

IMO, it's safer to transport or carry the OTA and optics in a separate bag or box from the mount.

Mike

Completely agree with this, the scope has its own box, good receipe to avoid disasters
  • Sarkikos and Spacefreak1974 like this

#17 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

What problems do you foresee with keeping them together?

I think the Celestron case is out of the running. It just dawned on me that storing the scope with the corrector down is a no-no.

I also found thise. Two of these would work with the original foam and the price cant be beat. They are not water resistant though.

http://www.amazon.co...J72C/ref=pd_...

#18 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Here's what I did for my 8se originally. These are a bit bigger than the soft sides you're looking at, but you can get EVERYTHING in there, and protect the scope well. A bit of foam and a piece of foam board from Hobby Lobby to finish the thing off. Well under $100 for the lot.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I ended up buying two of these, with a second one for everything else.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I eventually bought a bunch more stuff including a CGEM and had to get a third one, but that's a different story!

Beo

#19 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

That is certainly a slick looking transport case. Where did you buy it at, please? :question:

#20 coutleef

coutleef

Aurora

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

What problems do you foresee with keeping them together?

I think the Celestron case is out of the running. It just dawned on me that storing the scope with the corrector down is a no-no.

I also found thise. Two of these would work with the original foam and the price cant be beat. They are not water resistant though.

http://www.amazon.co...J72C/ref=pd_...

It is just that when i let my scope out for cooldown in winter at -30C, i prefer just to have the OTA out and not the complete scope with motors, gear and electronics at these temperatures.

Maybe i am just too concerned

#21 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Do you keep a warmer on your hand controller?

#22 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

That is certainly a slick looking transport case. Where did you buy it at, please? :question:

I bought it at Home Depot. They were about $60 each at the time. Looks like they've gone up about $10, but I think this is it.

Beo

#23 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

I just picked up an 8" NexStar Evolution. I too have been looking at cases for transportation. I want something support tough and supportive. Here is something I'm considering. Slightly cheaper than the Celestron version and I suspect quite a bit tougher.

http://www.bhphotovi...se_IM2975_00...

Anyone have any thoughts on this option that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks! Steve S

#24 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Looks like it would fit your evo6 without issue. That is pretty rugged. Are you planning long trips with your scope? I looked at the JMI and Pelican line first and decided that it was to large to fit in the closet I plan to store it in. I have two females here (wife and daughter) so closet space for me is limited.....

I think I am going to end up getting the Sirius and leave it in a free corner in the bedroom. Then it has to be aesthecally pleasing to the wife. She does not want a big orange block in the bedroom so I will need to get the blue one to match the decor :p

#25 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

Something to watch out for in these large hard cases - weight. That Storm case is spec'ed at 32 pounds - essentially the same as the whole 8SE scope package!

When I bought my first scope (an original Nexstar 8), it came with a JMI hard case. When I sold the scope to buy the 8SE, I sold the case with it. It weighed over 25 pounds and the overall weight of the case, with scope and accessories in it was well over 60 pounds in a large, unwieldy shape. Wheels help, but with my bad back, it was just too much for me to lift in and out of vehicles.

-Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics