•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short Observing session with Oberwerk 20x90

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:15 AM

Unfortuneatly short becuase I still don't have an suitable mount and still hand holding. I have some light pollution from nearby street lights but the sky is pitch black.

As compared to the telescope, with these binos I've seen the best views so far in my short years of astronomy. I was simply blown away.

First shot was M42:
I actually saw the nebula with a fan shape rather than batwings. Took on a greenish color and it's companion M43 was also evident. Some trapezium stars there but too shaky to count. I could just barley get Orion's belt in the FOV, and I had a hard time finding it because of the so much more stars visible. I even tried the Horsehead...ya right :(

NGC 3372 Known as the Keyhole nebula or Eta Carina nebula: Wow! now I know why they call it keyhole. Lots of nebulosity here. Exellent contrast, the nebula really stood out in the black surrounding. Huge object 120x120 arc min. Star Eta Carinae resolved with an orange color.

NGC 5139 GC Omega Centauri:
Very bright! Green color. No stars resolved at all. Even though it's size is about the size of the full moon, the moon still looks bigger. Probably because of the moon's brightness.

M45:
Nice, fit in the whole FOV. Pinpoint stars. Still no nebulosity. Kinda low in the sky :(

M6/M7:
Great views! As compared to the telescope, you can actually see different colored stars, not false color but rather the star's real color, some orange, some blue, etc.

M4:
Similar to Omega Centauri, only smaller

M8:
Lagoon Nebula, nice and bright, big, but not much detail. Dust lane not to evident as compared to the telescope. Still can't find the Trifid...

Leo Triplett M65, M66, NGC 3628:
Saw only two galaxies rather than three. Guess that would be the two brightest. Had a hard time finding them. Very faint, small grey smudges as compared to M81/82. I saw these in heavily light polluted skies during my visit to the US.

Large Magallanic Cloud:
Nice, lots of faint stars in the whole FOV. Taratula Nebula there but not to much detail.

To round things up, IMO, nothing beats viewing with two eyes. Looking through the Sagittarious region was breath taking. Star clouds crossed by dark dust lanes took on a 3D effect. Unbelievable amount of stars and clusters visible panning through the Milky Way.

I am very happy with these :grin:

Should be much better once mounted. Got to get to the shop and start making wood dust!

#2 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:21 AM

I wish I was as far south as you are. Great report. A mount will make a huge difference in what you see and so much more comfortable.

Craig

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics