•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Scientific telescope pier?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raven911

Raven911

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:58 PM

I have recently come into possession of a late '60's vintage EQ pedestal/pier with an 8" Newt on it. The scope is an ATM scope, but everything on it appears to be from Edmund Scientific, including the large (read, GIGANTIC)cast iron pier mount. Does anyone know anything about this critter? I sure don't.

It has a clock drive, and seems to be very heavy duty. The scope has a wooden tube and weighs at least 50lbs. It can hold this scope like it is not even there.

By the way, the scope seems to have an 8" F8 mirror, but I am not certain. I think this scope was built from some sort of Edmund's kit back in the late 1960's.

I will post some photo's later if anyone wants to see them.

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

I will post some photo's later if anyone wants to see them.

Absolutely! :jump:

Keith

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

Yes I'd like to see a photo too. I wonder if that pier is similar to the pier for my old Edmund 4 1/4" reflector?

Roger

#4 Raven911

Raven911

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

Here is a photo of this beast. Does it look familiar to anyone? By the way, I measured the Focal Length, It appears to be an F7. My Grandfather made this scope. I am guessing he figured the mirror, since it is an odd FL.

Attached Thumbnails

• 704811-GPscope.jpg

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hello Raven,

Yes the pier mount looks just like the one for my old edmund scope sans the motor.

Roger

#6 Raven911

Raven911

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

Did yours weigh about 1/2 a ton too? How much of a load can this thing hold? It puts my Antares Pier to shame as far as size goes.

#7 oldscope guy

oldscope guy

Explorer 1

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

This appears to a late 50's 8" edmund mount. Does it have the cam lever slow-motion in RA? This was probably the most robust mount that Edmund made. A very nice item if it has the slo-mo RA and could be adapted to make the RA circle driven by the clock drive.

#8 Raven911

Raven911

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

Yes, it does have a strange looking lever near the RA shaft. I haven't really messed with it yet, but did notice it and wondered what it was for. The RA circle is attached to the RA shaft and rotates with the shaft. It is adjustable and is not fixed in place like many older ones you see. I will be cleaning this thing up and it will most likely be getting a new coat of paint as well. I disassembled the scope last night. The primary mirror needs a recoat and the secondary was a size too big. The focus was off as well. It appeared to be set up more for photography than visual use, but all it had for a focuser was a very tiny Edmund 1.25" focuser that seems barely capable of handling a modern eyepiece, much less a camera. I have an old 2" rack and pinion I will probably throw on it instead. The scope is nice, but I think the real catch here is the mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics