•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Resetting the NexStar Hand Controller - an alternate method

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think most folks know about resetting the hand controller using the Factory Settings function in the utilities menu. There is also a method of resetting the hand controller at power up ... by just holding down the 0 key when the power is turned on.

I know some were aware of this capability (it's certainly not new ... just not documented) ... but I have a feeling that many don't know about it. I've tried it out on a few different mounts and it's supposed to be a universal capability on any NexStar or NexStar+ HC with v4 and above (and maybe older models as well but I don't know of anyone who's tried that).

Resetting the HC clears out all the user data (time, date, location, time zone, DST) as well as any backlash correction and filter limits that have been set. I am unsure if both of these methods are exactly the same ... they seem to be but without any real in depth analysis I'm not certain. 

The value of the power up reset is that you don't have to go navigating the menus, so this could be useful for a HC stuck in a specific state. Previously those with this type of problem have had to do a complete HC firmware reload. The power up reset will be faster and easier for those folks.

One thing I can't currently test is the variable slew rate settings on some of the gem style mounts. With a later MC firmware level there is capability of setting this rate and the setting is supposedly stored in the MC board. I'd be curious if either or both of the HC reset capabilities also affects the MC.

If someone felt the need to do an occasional reset I would suggest just staying with the documented Factory Settings method. The power up method would probably be better for folks doing a lot of troubleshooting and who are very experienced with the functionality of their hand controllers. Use this at your own risk.

• tjay, PXR-5, Herr Ointment and 8 others like this

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

I wasn't aware of this.  Good to know!

-Dan

#3 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Definitely good to know!  Thanks for sharing!

#4 Juan Rayo

Juan Rayo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tegucigalpa, Honduras

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

I just tried this out of desperation, as my HC was stuck on "Initialize". Nothing seemed to be working and even the firmware update gave me trouble. I had been hours at this, and was becoming fast frustrated and angry.

Found this thread and thought "why not", so turned off, then on, held the "0" key.

The HC asked me for language, then started working and I was able to slew the brand new 6SE for the first time.

All this to say, thanks mr. Mclewis for deciding to share this information, from a very exhausted but relieved brand new nexstar owner.

Edited by Juan Rayo, 20 December 2016 - 06:46 PM.

• mclewis1, Herr Ointment and bsavoie like this

#5 Skilly

Skilly

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

A real life saver to a frustrating situation. Thank you, thank you for sharing!!

#6 Strongarm

Strongarm

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: El Paso, Texas

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Thank you!

#7 Moonjet

Moonjet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Does this method of reset (hold 0, power on) work with the starsense HC?

#8 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Apollo

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Moonjet,

If it does not, then the alternate is to hold down the Celestron logo button when you power up the mount.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.nexstarsite.com/

• PXR-5 likes this

#9 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:51 AM

A little more on this:
Holding down the 0 on power up should perform a factory reset which is pretty much the same as the factory reset in the menu. The difference is the power up trick sometimes works when the hand control is not booting up correctly.

Holding down the Celestron logo button eventually became a method to erase the current language setting and prompt you for that setting again. It does not reset other values.

#10 ToKepler

ToKepler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

Hello everyone, I'm really newbie at this. I'm helping out my 7-yearl with his hand-me down SLT 130mm. The Telescope got hardly used. We have tried it a couple times but it seems it does not track the stars. Objects being view fall out of range within a minute or two. I have follow the instructions in aligning it to a fix object on in the distance, then It does well recognizing the 3 stars, and slewing to its first object. After that it is impossible to go to a second object--it falls no where near it. Will a hand control reset help an issue like this or has any of you experienced it and know of a different issue being the problem? 

Please help me save the day for my 7YO, I'm looking bad as it is--I'm looking not so tech savy. (That's close to 'un-cool' dad sentence nowdays)

Thank you,

ToKepler

#11 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Apollo

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

Hello everyone, I'm really newbie at this. I'm helping out my 7-yearl with his hand-me down SLT 130mm. The Telescope got hardly used. We have tried it a couple times but it seems it does not track the stars. Objects being view fall out of range within a minute or two. I have follow the instructions in aligning it to a fix object on in the distance, then It does well recognizing the 3 stars, and slewing to its first object. After that it is impossible to go to a second object--it falls no where near it. Will a hand control reset help an issue like this or has any of you experienced it and know of a different issue being the problem? 

Please help me save the day for my 7YO, I'm looking bad as it is--I'm looking not so tech savy. (That's close to 'un-cool' dad sentence nowdays)

Thank you,

ToKepler

Hi ToKepler,

A hand control reset won't hurt and is definitely worth a try.

It could also be that your power source is insufficient.  Here is an article at my website regarding power:

http://www.nexstarsi...owerSources.htm

There are lots of tips that improve an alignment when the scope is just missing the target, but when a GoTo is nowhere near the target, something more fundamental is at work.  If you are still experiencing the problem, provide some details on how the alignment process worked for you and what targets you attempt and miss.  If the hand control reset or power source seems to have fixed the problem, please reply here.  If you are still experiecing problems, it would be best to start a new "topic" in the Celestron NexStar forum and title it something like "Alignment Problems - GoTo Off Target".

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.nexstarsite.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics