•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon D810: No Low Pass Filter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cloud_cover

cloud_cover

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Just wondering: The new Nikon D810 has no anti-aliasing filter and no optical low-pass filter.

Does this mean that it will not require any further modifications to capture H-Alpha (color) images? (I don't mean to compare this with a Mono CCD but with other DSLRs such as the Canon 20Da and 60Da)

Thanks for your thoughts!

#2 jzeiders

jzeiders

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

I have been looking but so far have no info on the spectral response of the D810 sensor. I do know the D800 and D800E both have the low pass filter and are not great for red emission nebulae.

Hoping the new one is better.

Jack

#3 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Florida

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:32 AM

Guys,  the AA Filter/low pass "effect" has nothing to do with the spectrum of light that the filter passes. It is ONLY a blurring filter and as such these cameras will perform identically to every other stock camera.

However, modified D800's have been performing brilliantly. I sincerely miss mine very much..

Cheers

• Raginar likes this

#4 HxPI

HxPI

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:25 AM

I'm interested in getting the D810 for my photography kit. Has anyone used this camera for astrophotography yet?

Ciao,

Mel

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

I've used a 800 and it's great for wide field work. Some one said they have issues with processing due to the RAW format? There is a long thread on it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics