•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyHack -- Things you shouldn't be doing with Celestron's SkyScout

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 FlyBD5

FlyBD5

Messenger

• Loc: Friedrichshain, Berlin, Germany

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

Has anyone seen this? It seems there are much newer firmwares for the SkyScout. 

http://software.cele...dates/SkyScout/

#27 vegachicago

vegachicago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

Has anyone seen this? It seems there are much newer firmwares for the SkyScout. 

http://software.cele...dates/SkyScout/

Careful, the version one can only take version one updates, up to 1.30.22.  You cannot update a version 2 with any firmware except the 2.xx.xx  Same for the version three.  If you update to the wrong firmware you can brick it, and have a nice paperweight.

#28 10100111001

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

Anybody made any headway on fixing the date problem?

• bsavoie likes this

#29 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

This is an interesting thread that seems to have waned. I have acquired one of this devices off of ebay that was dead, with the red screen of death, for a nominal "exploration" fee.

Since then (a matter of days) I will be acquiring two more, one the GPS has a failure message, and the other apparently fully working.  

My plans for these devices are simply entertainment and puzzle pieces to see if I can can fix and make useful maybe for grand kids or maybe a cowboy that wants to hitch his luck on a passing star.

One thing that I have found out is that if you don't have the battery shields on the batteries, that unwanted magnetizem will creep in and make the GPS sensor unstable or prevent it from locking on.

These shields can still be had...also for a nominal fee if you are so inclined to replace the ones in yours that are missing.

http://www.highpoint...term=CEL-SS027X

I realize that these machines were made obsolete over night when Apple created the iPod. 

That is the paradigm shift that we are all swimming in right now.

But be that as it may...they are still cool, and for the younger set, indispensable to encourage to get the young minds out of the palm of their hands and into the night air and clear skies.

That's when it become priceless...

I'll update this when I have experimented a little more...

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 27 June 2017 - 01:12 AM.

#30 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Ok, well, I have received all three now. One came in it's original box and contents, complete with a nice carrying bag, strap, a USB cable and some cheap in ear headphones. The other "Working" one that had a bad GPS was only because it did not have the battery shields (thin walled metal tubes that fit over the batteries.). One those were used it was working just as good at the other one. The Third one is still DOA. I may swap boards as a quick way to see if the problem can be isolated to one of them. Like others that have posted on here, these machines are battery hungry like I have never seen before. This can be minimised by lowering the display lights. Those red LED's are the culprit. I was able to double the battery life just by doing that. A fresh set of Alkalines will last about 6 hours, but with the red LED's glowing hot, that time is cut in half, or about 4 hours max.

This is 2007 technology at its finest. I like the female voice that is clear in describing the stars in the tutorials.Very professional.

For an evening of exploring, and a campout, this would be a nice introduction to the younger set for some harmless exploration and wonder.

If I get the last one working (it did not come with even a battery door) I'll post back!

$49.00 on ebay for a good working one, is not a bad deal for something that is 10 years old.

I have seen them for over $200.00, please, don't pay that. These machines are not supported anylonger so there is no point paying more than $50.00 that is complete.

The two non working ones I paid $9.99 each, and one fully worked, but did not come with anything else.

Laptops are down to the $200.00 range now, and would be more bang for your buck. Just FYI, and remember "Caveat Emptor", Let the buyer beware...

#31 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

I was impressed by one loaned by a friend, so I picked one up on EBay. I'm hoping to use it as a "Push-To" guider on my 6" newtonian.

I've spent a good part of the day hacking on it -- my hope was to update the year selection. Lots of mucking with binary edits, CRCs, and setting up my home webserver to impersonate software.celestron.com. smile.gif

The good news? I now have firmware 1.30.23 installed, and I can scroll the selector through 2017-2027. The bad news is that (as I feared) the year strings in the firmware were just for display. I can scroll through new years, but they are still internally interpreted as 2005 to 2015.

And the "Target" button doesn't work. Not sure if that's me, or if it arrived that way. smile.gif It guides to appropriate locations, though.

So. It's possible to flash a modded firmware. The process to get the new file loaded is fairly technical, as I wasn't able to get the update software to read the file from the disk, although I have some ideas there. There also doesn't look like there is an easy way to downgrade to a known-good firmware.

If anyone has any thoughts on what else to try to binary patch onto an existing firmware, let me know.

grnbrg.

Edit: Took the cover off, reseated the top daughterboard, wiped the contacts, and reassembled. "Target" button now works. So I'm pretty sure it arrived that way, and it wasn't the new, hacked firmware causing issues.

Edited by grnbrg, 11 September 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#32 vegachicago

vegachicago

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

I was impressed by one loaned by a friend, so I picked one up on EBay. I'm hoping to use it as a "Push-To" guider on my 6" newtonian.

I've spent a good part of the day hacking on it -- my hope was to update the year selection. Lots of mucking with binary edits, CRCs, and setting up my home webserver to impersonate software.celestron.com. smile.gif

The good news? I now have firmware 1.30.23 installed, and I can scroll the selector through 2017-2027. The bad news is that (as I feared) the year strings in the firmware were just for display. I can scroll through new years, but they are still internally interpreted as 2005 to 2015.

And the "Target" button doesn't work. Not sure if that's me, or if it arrived that way. smile.gif It guides to appropriate locations, though.

So. It's possible to flash a modded firmware. The process to get the new file loaded is fairly technical, as I wasn't able to get the update software to read the file from the disk, although I have some ideas there. There also doesn't look like there is an easy way to downgrade to a known-good firmware.

If anyone has any thoughts on what else to try to binary patch onto an existing firmware, let me know.

grnbrg.

Edit: Took the cover off, reseated the top daughterboard, wiped the contacts, and reassembled. "Target" button now works. So I'm pretty sure it arrived that way, and it wasn't the new, hacked firmware causing issues.

Thank you for the update information.  I have 3 working but the date thing is still there.  However, they still are accurate and at least grab a GPS signal.

#33 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Fun to read what you guys are doing.

My own SkyScout "died" in a different fashion.

One day it caught me using Sky Safari on my Android smartphone. Depression set in and the SkyScout never again emerged from its cute little case.
  • BoriSpider and bsavoie like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics