•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

History is slipping away...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#26 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Someone needs to write a book about Ed Byers.

There are a number of additional extremely talented telescope builders and opticians from the past who certainly deserve recognition, like George Carroll, Art Devaney, Lynn & Avery Hildom and James Herron. None of them may ever have a book written about them, but each deserves a chapter.

Lew, I was really hoping that you would show up on this thread, as among other things you undoubtedly have the best grasp of the West Coast telescope scene from the 1950's onwards of anyone here! I've read your many posts regarding Cave, Coast Instruments and other California telescope firms in the old CN archives, and they could easily comprise the better part of an article in their own right.

Is there any chance that you might be interested in putting something together about those times for the forum?

#27 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Another biography I'd like to see would be about Chuck Brisley's Star Liner Company in Tucson...  I always planned to buy one of his Newtonians when they were in business, and somehow always let it get away...  An old favorite...

Another company I bought a lot of stuff from (but never a telescope) was Telescopics...

Telescopics was founded by Carl Langevin. He started out as a radio engineer with ties to the Marconi Company (c.1920). In Los Angeles he was affiliated with Western Electric and built sound systems for the movie studios and for large public venues. Astronomy was his hobby and Telescopics was only a sideline. His secretary, Hallie Kalfayan, actually ran Telescopics. She was the one I did business with when I purchased telescope making supplies for the Los Angeles Astronomical Society from 1969 to about 1973. Carl was a member of the LAAS.

#28 turk123

turk123

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Someone needs to write a book about Ed Byers.

There are a number of additional extremely talented telescope builders and opticians from the past who certainly deserve recognition, like George Carroll, Art Devaney, Lynn & Avery Hildom and James Herron. None of them may ever have a book written about them, but each deserves a chapter.

Hi Lew

You certainly do have a good grasp of the history on the west coast.  I'm adding a new "tab" to the Cave website called "The Astronomers".  I would love for you to share with me the names and stories of some of the astronomers that used the Cave telescopes and who knew Tom Cave.   The last time we talked we spent 2 1/2 hours!  I would love to set up a phone call again with you on this subject.

Turk

#29 A6Q6

A6Q6

Vanguard

• -----
  • In Memoriam

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hi Fred, Here is some good info on Tinsley: http://r.search.yaho...yN30hjbtio0vMo- This is not what I wanted to show, the web page is different from the old one that had old ads of thier telescopes and a picture of the store. But this is better than nothing. :(

Edited by A6Q6, 20 August 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#30 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi Harper, that link is dead. If you could post the actual URL for the site rather than a Yahoo search link to it, it would probably work.

#31 A6Q6

A6Q6

Vanguard

• -----
  • In Memoriam

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi Harper, that link is dead. If you could post the actual URL for the site rather than a Yahoo search link to it, it would probably work.

Hi Terra, I have the old one saved in my files, its really good, much more info than whats on there now, but I don't know how to post it, or if its ok with CN.  It wasn't until I tried to post a link thinking that what I had saved in my files was the same as what is still on the web, that I realized they changed it and it didn't show much.    The info they now  have on Tinsley history Is hardly worth looking at.  I would have deleted the whole post but it won't let me.  I can't even find the spell checker. And yes I need it. :grin:   Ok, one more time, this is the new stuff L3 integreated optical systems has on Tinsley history, its not much.: http://www2.l-3com.c...ley_history.htm

Edited by A6Q6, 21 August 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#32 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Harper, to delete a post simply use the edit function: remove all text save for "deleted", and repost. Post will remain, but sans previous content.

I have that file archived as well; not surprised that it's been edited. The original text, without cool old photos, might still be available on the web; Google is your friend.  :grin:

Besides the hstory aspect, what I found very significant in the original article was that the mirror coatings done by "new Pancro process" and used on Tinsley's mirror projects (done presumably either by Pancro themselves, or by Tinsley under license) were not simply overcoated aluminum, but SiO2 over an aluminum/magnesium alloy! This supposedly gave better reflectivity across the visible spectrum. 

That revelation was worth a little research, wouldn't you say? Points up why we need to gather as much information as possible before it goes down the memory hole...

Edited by amicus sidera, 21 August 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#33 SeeEmComing

SeeEmComing

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

quoting Steve40

"steven40, on 11 Aug 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:
Hello everyone!

Back in the mid-60's I was in high school, using my RV-6 at night, grinding mirrors after I came home from school, and studying Sky and T from cover to cover---a real astro-nerd! Jaegers Optical was 20 minutes from my home, and I worked there on weekends, and summers.

I'm compiling my recollections of my time there---testing 6 inch refractor objectives with Al Jaeger, Sr., etc., etc.

Will post here by the end of the summer---I promise!

Steve"

I Also used to read sky and telescope from cover to cover and felt that after they changed thier format in the 90's that the magazine had become "dumbed down" as a lot of magazines became in the 90's including Scientific American and others, The part that S&T got rid of that was sorely missed was the extensive ATM section which is why when I found “Cloudy Nights” in 2007 I was so happy!

#34 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I don't know what you all know of Jack Eastman or if you have read these articles, but I thought this an excellent place to post them. If you haven't read them, enjoy! I did.  :flowerred:

http://www.denverast.../eastman_1.html

http://www.denverast...tman_5inch.html

#35 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

If you have any other links or older threads/articles that should be pinned, please PM them to me for the main sticky threads.

#36 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

I don't know what you all know of Jack Eastman or if you have read these articles, but I thought this an excellent place to post them. If you haven't read them, enjoy! I did.  :flowerred:

http://www.denverast.../eastman_1.html

http://www.denverast...tman_5inch.html

Wow, haven't seen old Jack in many years.  First time Don Parker and I met him was at a meeting when old Clyde Tombaugh received recognition for discovering the now discredited planet “Pluto,” and all Jack could do is complain about us smoking!  Yeah, it was that long ago that a smoker could smoke in public.  Anyway, we have been friends ever since.  I miss going out west to meetings and visit with old, and above room temperature, friends.  But, getting old sucks and I am sure Jack feels the same :)  Oh yeah, I stopped that nasty habit 33 years ago.

Edited by Jeff B1, 29 August 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#37 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

An Alvan Clarke 12" refractor that resides here: https://www.youtube....h?v=51tldi5NQxw    ..this telescope I read about in Michael Porcellino's book years ago & just happened across that. They really need to do a fitting video of that great, century + Clark and the facility too, it looks really nice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics