•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you refocus with each RGB filter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

The topic says it all. I have acquired an ASI120MM-S recently, and although I am happy with the camera monochrome imaging is a little new to me. I have googled the subject but all I could came up with is a formula of finding the dept of focus, not exactly what I was looking for. I read it somewhere that different colors of the spectrum has different focus point. I think it said that blue is the one to watch for in that matter.

I use a C9.25 with the camera and usually shoot aroung F20.

Do you guys refocus for each filter? If yes, what is your technique?

#2 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

I do this, but only because of two reasons.

1) I have a motorized CFW AND focuser which enables me to be lazy, not bump or touch the ota/mount between filter change and focus attempts

2) The focuser (JMI) includes a digital readout and PC control which allows me to 'see' where the focus position I like is.  This means I fiddle with it to see where I think it's best in focus and then can compare it to the other filters.

Typically the R&G are nearly the same in avg and above conditions but the blue tends to be slightly out, typically no more than 2 micron/steps of the focuser.

So, without a motorized CFW OR focuser, I wouldn't bother, but it depends on your filters.  With a good CFW and focuser you can 'tell' how much difference there is which means a LOT just to know, much less control.

YMMV,

Mike 

#3 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

Yes, I do refocus from B->G->R->IR and the difference is significant on 5m focus. More than that, difference might be more or less depending on seeing. Least difference is indeed between G and R. Astronomik Typ 2c RGB and Baader 685nm that is.

Edited by leviathan, 13 August 2014 - 01:30 AM.

#4 yock1960

yock1960

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

As Mike said, red and green are close, blue is definitely a refocus. Motorized is probably the way to go, but I haven't added that complexity yet. I don't trust myself to focus on target (except the moon) and slew off to a star to use a focus mask. PIA? Yes, but you want the detail.

Steve

#5 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

In case you are assuming your system's critical focus zone (CFZ) in that configuration to be that of a native f20 system, it's not. Your CFZ will still be that of the C9.25's native f10. Any time we use a scope with an auxiliary optic like a Barlow or eyepiece that will be the case. 

#6 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

The topic says it all. I have acquired an ASI120MM-S recently, and although I am happy with the camera monochrome imaging is a little new to me. I have googled the subject but all I could came up with is a formula of finding the dept of focus, not exactly what I was looking for. I read it somewhere that different colors of the spectrum has different focus point. I think it said that blue is the one to watch for in that matter.

Do you guys refocus for each filter? If yes, what is your technique?

I always plan on refocusing between filters, sometimes it just doesn't seem necessary. I'd definitely plan on refocusing the blue filter and when I use the IR filter, that is a must. Experimentation is a good plan but one of the very best amateur planetary imagers once told me that he always refocuses between filters.

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I have a motorized focuser, an Optec, and I use a Bahtinov mask to get focused. Firecapture stores the offsets so when I change filters, it refocuses to the new position. 

#8 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Wow, lot of info here guys, I appreciate it. I use Baader LRGB CCD filter set. So, it is a good idea to refocus the blue filter, I am not imaging in IR yet. But when I refocus the blue I assume the focuser needs to travel inward, meaning that blue focuses at a shorter focal length a little bit then G and R. I do have a 10:1 dual speed focuser to adjust that small, althogh my filter wheel and focuser are not motorized.

The question is than, how do I know how much to adjust? Is there a way to calculate it and come up with a number say B needs to be readjusted X amount of microns?

#9 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

The question is than, how do I know how much to adjust? Is there a way to calculate it and come up with a number say B needs to be readjusted X amount of microns?

You could use a Bahtinov mask on a star with all the filters and write down the offsets for each color (from the previous color). Then use a star to focus the first color and then move by the offset amount after each color change. It is somewhat open loop but only the deltas, which should be small.

#10 John_K

John_K

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

I have a motorized focuser, an Optec, and I use a Bahtinov mask to get focused. Firecapture stores the offsets so when I change filters, it refocuses to the new position. 

Just re-bumping this topic.

With a Shoestring adaptor and a JMI motorised focuser, does Firecapture know how to reset the focus point for a particular filter as previously set by the user? 

Edited by John_K, 01 October 2015 - 01:44 AM.

#11 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Soyuz

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

JMI motorised focuser can try, but since it doesn't have a stepper motor the position might not be accurate.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics