•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daytime Planet Observation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

Recently I was able to view Mercury, Venus and Jupiter during daylight but was not able to find Mars and Saturn.  I used a 4 "refractor at 40x with an AVX mount. Has anyone had luck finding these two planets and if so can you share any tips?

Edited by TCW, 18 August 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#2 and75

and75

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Yes, I saw both of them with my previous 4" apo, but needed a helping object: a brighter planet or Moon. I saw Mars minutes before Moon occulted in 2008 at daylight, and Saturn near Venus later.

Use a planetarium software to find a close conjunction with Moon or Venus.

And internal baffling is critical to block the reflection of sunlight. Even sunlight reflecting from the edge of the lens cell is very disturbing.

#3 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Jupiter had very little contrast with the sky and was invisible when the focus was off even a tiny bit.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I've been able to see planets and stars as faint as magnitude 3ish with my 6" f/8 achromat. The trick for me is to have a spot accurately marked where my tripod goes so when I set it out in daylight the polar alignment is fairly good. I synch my mount on the sun and from there my GoTos are fairly good.

#5 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

I aligned on the sun using a solar filter and then found and synced to Venus. After that Mercury and Jupiter were fairly easy.

#6 September

September

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

I was amazed when I just read an article that you can actually observe during daylight :shocked: You can actually see more than night observation in some brightly lit cities with the unaided eye! Wow. Who knew?? Learning more amazing things every day :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics