•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gosh darned bleepen...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I love the optical and build quality of my Tak 60, I really do, but **** do I hate the stupid focuser they put on it and all the fangled adapters that attach it to the scope.  The focuser is a disaster in terms of being friendly to use as tightening and loosening is a battle that could be so easily avoided.  Thinking about dropping some coin and tossing the Tak and going FT, if this is at all possible.

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Moonlite is very nice, for less. Not sure how well they fit up to a 60mm scope though.

#3 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Moonlite too maybe...have to check their site...

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

It is possible. This guy did it: http://tinyurl.com/kraphdq

#5 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Moonlite has one...275.  No brainer.

#6 Rich_W

Rich_W

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

I changed to an FT on mine.    The swap is easy to do and, for me, I would say it was worth it.    

#7 LewisM

LewisM

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

I too detest the FS60's piddly focuser with all of an inch travel and the guzzillion adapters needed. One FS60 I bought had a FT already installed, and it was pure heaven - 2" standard fittings, lots of drawtube travel, smooth (yet still wasn't a great weight holder). Definitely the way to go for the FS60.

I also HAD to add the Q module to my last one too, as the CA in the standard FS60 is unacceptable IMHO. With the Q unit, it is well controlled.

#8 stellarvuelomo

stellarvuelomo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, an inch of travel...what is with that???  I can't use many of my eyepieces because of that!

#9 chrisastro8

chrisastro8

Mariner 2

• Loc: Texas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Agreed.  I found my FS-60 focuser to be pretty good, until (coincidentally) last night it developed a wobble.  I just tightened the pinion this morning and all is back to where it was before but in doing so did reveal its almost primitive design which is a great shame really.  The adapters (system charts), were a steep learning curve for me.  My FS-60 came used to me as a badder equipped connectors for a guider.  I managed to cobble together various astro connectors from what I have and have been absolutely delighted with its visual performamce.  It my first Tak, and a remarkable performer but none the less I share your complaint.  More in this regard was certainly expected for a premium instrument.  By those optics:-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics