•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weather and Cloud Rage

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 epee

epee

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

2014 has been a poor year of astronomy for me. The jet stream sat over my home until late spring ruining planetary views. Since summer set in we have entered a tropical weather pattern of pop-up thunderstorms every afternoon and evening. Late summer and the humidity is so high that the city lights reflecting from the haze hide the stars.

See the verse in my sig.

I find this interesting.  Here in Houston we get the afternoon pop-up storm phenomenon also, but usually it is good for astronomy because they nearly always clear out by nighttime.  I guess it doesn't do that in your area?

It does, or should I say, it used to. This year summer has brought very high humidity and round-the-clock, pop-up, frog-strangling squalls. Twice we've had neighborhoods catch 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes!

Fortunately, hurricane Cristobal sucked a lot of the humidity off and we're now starting to have some lovely dark skies.

#27 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

Was planning on heading out tonight on account of promised clear skies and good seeing. Latest models show high cloud enroaching just in time for my session to begin, and clearing off by sunrise. Satellite agrees, big plume of high cloud  that looks set to arrive just on sunset. The rest of the week forecasts clear skies, but the moon is setting too late to bother hauling all my stuff out to the site. Failwhale fail at life  mad.gifchair.gif

Edited by HellsKitchen, 30 May 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#28 jdjetson

jdjetson

Mariner 2

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

don't give up :)

#29 csrlice12

csrlice12

Hubble

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

Abandon all hope ye who enter here

#30 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I think what I might do is dust off the 8 incher, along with my fold-out table, chair, biscuits, thermos full of tea, sketching paper, pencils and pen, and head out to my site and do sketches of the planets and some lunar observing. Quick and easy setup, easy 15 min drive, can't lose. Massive high pressure cell sitting for days right overhead, subfreezing windless nights, can't lose. 

Life gives you lemons and moon, make lemonade and beer. 

Edited by HellsKitchen, 31 May 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#31 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Gemini

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Flies gotta be thick there, eh?

There's a lot of flies here in summer, you know now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense....

Tonight was supposed to be clear, every weather app has been showing clear conditions for tonight but guess what? 8/8 overcast filth, and this garbage gets backed up over southern Victoria against the Great Dividing Range like an overflowing toilet. 

Celestron just came out with an eyepiece that'll fit right into that motif......

lol I take it it's a really poor quality eyepiece?

When you look like a toilet plunger........attachicon.gifCelestron Duo.jpg

I've seen that Cheeto Orange somewhere before but can remember where.........

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics