•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ed Byers / a discussion

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#76 Dave Radosevich

Dave Radosevich

Sputnik

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hi Turk,

I will be visiting Ed tomorrow (Friday). I have known Ed for over 30 years now and have purchased around 400 gear sets. Its been years since I have seen Ed so its a bit of reminiscing with him. Getting caught up with him again. I just purchased 2 Series II mounts and I still am in ahh of his design and craftsmanship. Truly a legend in his own time.

If you have any questions for him, I would be glad to ask.. Just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

• Terra Nova likes this

#77 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi Turk,

I will be visiting Ed tomorrow (Friday). I have known Ed for over 30 years now and have purchased around 400 gear sets. Its been years since I have seen Ed so its a bit of reminiscing with him. Getting caught up with him again. I just purchased 2 Series II mounts and I still am in ahh of his design and craftsmanship. Truly a legend in his own time.

If you have any questions for him, I would be glad to ask.. Just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Please give him my regards and let him know I will be calling him again to talk.   I would like to talk to you also after your visit.  OK?    PM ME.

#78 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

Tom, while I'm no Ed, take a look at the thread I hijacked http://www.cloudynig...tion/?p=6278797  where a continuing saga of my Al Novak mount make over is taking place.  Almost finished......

• Starliner likes this

#79 Dave Radosevich

Dave Radosevich

Sputnik

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hello All,

Back from Ed Byers place (last Friday). I spent the mid afternoon with Ed. As usual, spending time with Ed at his shop was a real treat. Ed is doing well but does get tired easily. It still surprises me how much he does. His "projects" are still plentiful and not without many details. I wish him well on his ongoing endeavors.  As with anytime I visit, I bought more than I need. I needed one gear - ended up buying 4! If you ever have thought about getting a gear from Ed, now is the time. I noticed that his main hobbing machine is going up for sale on eBay soon. He really has stopped producing gears. As for mounts - well I think those are a thing of the past as well... I was able to purchase some parts needed for my own projects as I can see there will soon be no more.

Ed is a true legend.. still making jokes with his very witty sense of humor like when I asked... Ed, you were in WW2- can you tell me a little more.. he replied.. yes! and when I joined the fight - Hitler committed suicide!  Byers said that without missing a beat. I asked him if I could write a book about him ( I had helped Adkins write a book about Schaefer).. he said no.. as if no one would be interested. He always been that way.. I guess it will be for all of us to keep the legend in our own way. I did manage to take a few picture and video of him boring a 9" drive for me. That will be a keepsake for years to come.

As I left his shop, It was very apparent that I need to visit more often. Like us all, Ed needs his friends - If you ever get a chance to stop in Barstow, please visit him.. its worth both yours and his time.

• tim53, R Botero, Herr Ointment and 3 others like this

#80 Dave Radosevich

Dave Radosevich

Sputnik

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Ed Boring my 9" GearDSCN0934.jpg

• Deven Matlick, Terra Nova and rcwolpert like this

#81 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm so glad he's doing well.  He seemed so hesitant about any future when I talked to him.  Great picture.  I would love to get the video and pictures for my article on him.  I also need to talk with you about your visit with him.

#82 vvalmiki

vvalmiki

Ranger 4

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

that looks like a Hardinge HLV-H.

I have been lusting for one!

• Tak North likes this

#83 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Dave, that is one heck of a beautiful mount you're selling!  If only I had the place to use it. 

- Bob

#84 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hello fellow amateurs,

I had the great honor and privilege of speaking with Mr. Byers in person a couple years ago in regards to a Starmaster drive system I was planning to purchase from him. Though the conversation was short, I was expecting to hear the voice of an aged gentleman with retirement on his breath. But, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the opposite. One thing I quickly found out about the man; he's humble. I do not believe he enjoys being put on a pedestal.

During our conversation, he conveyed to me that he was still being utilized by companies all over the world, from here to China to fabricate gear systems; even moreso than in the USA. He even sent me some photos of some of his creations, which I asked him if it was okay to post on my website, and he was fine with it. Now that Turk is doing an expose' on this monument to the astronomical community, I pray that he will get as much info as possible to chronicle his legacy.

Thanks, Mel

• Terra Nova likes this

#85 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

I suspect that Ed is getting interested in things again.  The passing of a spouse is a loss to one's soul that some people never successfully deal with.  It takes great strength to soldier-on.  Immersing oneself in one's interests is therapeutic, as well as interacting with others.  Nice to see he has a regular string of visitors and enough work to keep busy.  I wish him all the best.

• Terra Nova likes this

#86 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

I suspect that Ed is getting interested in things again.  The passing of a spouse is a loss to one's soul that some people never successfully deal with.  It takes great strength to soldier-on.  Immersing oneself in one's interests is therapeutic, as well as interacting with others.  Nice to see he has a regular string of visitors and enough work to keep busy.  I wish him all the best.

I know what you mean, Chuck. It is still a challenge for me each and every day after lossing mine of 30 years. I truly know what he's going through. My prayers go out to him.

Mel

• Terra Nova likes this

#87 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

It's not only a spouse but he also lost his son just within the last few months he told me when I ordered my new drive system. Talk about inner strength. Whew! :crazy:  Mike

#88 Dave Radosevich

Dave Radosevich

Sputnik

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Ed is still carrying a lot of depression over his losses so he immerses himself in work. At 88 he still puts in full days but they are catching up with him.

I will be back out on Sunday to see Ed. Yes, more gears for me...

Bob, yes.. the S2 I put up forsale is a fantastic example of his work from what I believe to be his best years. S2's from 1995-2005 are nothing short of works of art. You don't need a place for this mount - it can be in your living room and give you just as much pleasure as using it .. I know.. I'm weird.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0959.jpg

• tim53 and Deven Matlick like this

#89 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I've thought much the same Chuck.  People need a sense of purpose.  While Ed probably wants less work, from what I've read here, he truly enjoys his work.  The question he needs to answer at this point is without the work, what will he do?  If he has the answer, godspeed Ed!

#90 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

It's not only a spouse but he also lost his son just within the last few months he told me when I ordered my new drive system. Talk about inner strength. Whew! :crazy:  Mike

Not to make light of it and certainly not to be funny, but he lost his dog also.  Those of us with those four legged friend know how much their unconditioned love can be missed. 

#91 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• Loc: I AM DONE

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:29 AM

I can atest to the quality and wonderful nature of the Byers series II mounts and of Ed the maker, The Pearl has been mounted on the 2001 Series II for going on three years and is used several times a month. I love the fact that I can go out, roll back the roof, flip a switch and be trasported via the 9" Refractor Roland built to another time and space in a matter of seconds. The SR II never misses abeat.

As to the maker, Ed he is a real kick to visit with and I feel lucky to have met him.

By the way I have been fishing allot!! "Yellowtail" Build a electric powered fishing kayak, had another surgery last week and am working on feeling better again!!!

(aveman

Pearl Ed.jpg

6450299-IMG_6561SM.JPG

• tim53, dawsonian2000, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#92 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Its always great to hear from you Clint. Glad you are on the mend and feeling better.  :flowerred:

#93 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I still want to get a huge 22" gear plus some other extras to build a large mount for a 24" mDK.

#94 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

I know what you mean, Chuck. It is still a challenge for me each and every day after lossing mine of 30 years. I truly know what he's going through. My prayers go out to him.

Mel

Same here.  I lost my wife of 34 years a little over two years ago.  I will always feel there is a part of me missing but the hole is slowly filling in and I'm enjoying things again but it's not the same.  Work and my hobbies have been good for me, a my turf sort of thing that helps to center me.

When did Ed lose his wife and son?  I didn't know he lost his son too.  

I miss the Series II I had, a true work of art.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff B, 06 November 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#95 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

I thought Ed said his boy was injured in an auto wreck. I was under the impression that he didn't die instantly but I could be wrong on that. :confused:  Mike

#96 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:29 AM

Ed reminds me a little of Bill Schafer. Very nice man. Never seemed prideful or boasting. He never had to. His mounts speak on his behalf. Dave, I wish I could afford that mount, but I cant. Have to save my money for Cosmic Acres.
  • Terra Nova likes this

#97 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

I believe Norman was a paraplegic.    Here is his obituary.  

http://www.barstowhi...yers73 Obit.pdf

Ed also lost both grandsons (norman's).  One in 2003 and one in 2007 I believe.  

#98 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

Its always great to hear from you Clint. Glad you are on the mend and feeling better.  :flowerred:

I second that, Terra! Clint in himself is a institution within amatuer astronomy. May the (aveman live on and never become a relic. Besides... I have to get me one of those official (aveman awards like Turk has!

Mel

• DocFinance likes this

#99 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

Mel

Same here.  I lost my wife of 34 years a little over two years ago.  I will always feel there is a part of me missing but the hole is slowly filling in and I'm enjoying things again but it's not the same.  Work and my hobbies have been good for me, a my turf sort of thing that helps to center me.

When did Ed lose his wife and son?  I didn't know he lost his son too.  

I miss the Series II I had, a true work of art.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We both lost our wives not too far apart. But, I know their spirits live within us. Great to see you are recovering well much like myself. I hope and pray the same for Mr. Byer.

Mel

Mel

#100 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

Not to make light of it and certainly not to be funny, but he lost his dog also.  Those of us with those four legged friend know how much their unconditioned love can be missed. 

Sounds like he should write country songs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics