•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Focal Reducer For CPC 11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, first post on here. (Although I have been lurking for a few weeks researching scopes.)

I'm about to order a CPC 1100. Would it be wise to go ahead and get the F/6.3 focal reducer for visual use. I would use it sometime in the future for astrophotography for sure. I'm concerned that the F/10 focal length may narrow the view for DSO's, although I'm sure it will rock for planetary viewing. So is it something I should go ahead and order with the scope now? Or is the scope fine for visual observing DSO's without it?

Thanks!

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

I would use the scope for a while and find out were the weakness is. Many CAT folk find it better to mount a short focus refractor on thier scope instead. That can make for a more flexible system for both observing and photography.

(If you are keeping your C8, then I would not bother. Just use that for larger FOV.)

#3 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

With few exceptions (mostly galaxies of the Local Group, like M31 and the Sculptor Galaxy [NGC 253]), f/10 won't be a hindrance.

The 6.3 F/R can be useful for astrophotography, but like wilash says, save it for the future. Your scope will insist on many other, more immediately useful, gifts in the meanwhile... :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics