•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Comments/suggestion on new scope!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:54 PM

Hi all,

I am considering the Celestron 9.25 SCT as my new scope. I've heard lots of great things about the instrument. However, I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. I have a $2500 budget with little or no creep potential.

-What are some 'typical' accessories one should 'figure' on purchasing along with the scope? I have a set of eyepieces and color filters. Anything else? Upgrade the diagonal? Other filters? I'll probably get a Telrad.

-I am looking at the Losmandy GM-8 (new or used) or GM-11 (used). Is there anything I should look out for when considering a used GM-8 or GM-11? Have they changed much in the past few years? I remember these mounts from 10 years ago (and drooling over them!).

Thanks for the help!
Dave

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:36 AM

I would get your bacis setup first - OTA, mount, a few eyepieces, dew sheild, and stool, and use it for awhile. Then look to add the things you need. There are many person preferences to observing equipment. You may find you will want to mount a short tube 80mm refractor with your SCT for low power views rather than a new diagonal or telrad.

Then there is a lot of support equipment. Polar alighment scope, star charts, red flash light, bags and cases, binoculars, a charm against bad weather, dew heaters, solar filter, books, guides, planisphere anti-vibration pads, fingerless gloves, bug spray, collimation knobs, Hello Kitty scope cover, flowers for your significant other. Lots of stuff to keep your credit card company happy. But I would get used to the equipment to see what you need before signing away your total budget.

#3 michaeloconnell

michaeloconnell

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:59 AM

Yep, that sounds like reasonable advice. I don't know much about the mounts I'm afraid.

#4 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

I got mine about two months ago, and the next thing on my list is a Starlight Instruments Feathertouch focuser. Kind of a pricey accessory, but one that should last forever and will eventually help when I get a CCD imager. Here's the Cloudy Nights review. http://www.cloudynig...eathertouch.htm

#5 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:12 AM

You may want to consider the AS version of the C9.25, which can be had with a goto mount for less than $2K. It's not a bad mount, and likely easy to turn over if you decide to go for a Losmandy later on. Of course, the CGE version has a very nice mount, but it's considerably more expensive and well above the price range you're tied to.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

I am considering the Celestron 9.25 SCT as my new scope. I've heard lots of great things about the instrument. However, I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. I have a $2500 budget with little or no creep potential.

-What are some 'typical' accessories one should 'figure' on purchasing along with the scope? I have a set of eyepieces and color filters. Anything else? Upgrade the diagonal? Other filters? I'll probably get a Telrad.

If you will get a GoTo scope I would nix the Telrad.
If you observe from light-polluted areas I would nix the Telrad.

Rather than telling you what to get, I'll tell you what *I* got and how much I like them, and hopefully either give you ideas or make you think I am nuts:

1) I got the C9.25 AS-GT. Love the mount. Period.
2) I bought a JMI motofocus motorized focuser. Pricey, but I like it a lot. Some type of focuser that does not produce image shift and allows for fine focusing is needed for the 9.25, and the motofocus allows you to change eyepieces and refocus with no vibration at all.
3) I bought a TV observing stool. It is PERFECT for the 9.25, the more extreme observing chairs might be useful for different scope types, but for this SCT this was clearly the best choice.
4) I got an OIII filter for nebulae, you will need an OIII or UHC (do NOT buy a broadband filter) of one type or another. Mine was a Lumicon and makes all the difference in the world on things like the Veil.
5) I got a Williams Optics 2" diagonal (the non-dielectric type) which is a very nice and very high-quality piece of equipment with an 1.25" adapter. Highly recommended replacement for the stock diagonal.
6) I bought a flexible dew shield which I find a bit of a pain. I wish I had got the rigid type.
7) I got a Celestron Power Tank to power the scope. I like it (and it's very cute), but I understand that you can get the same features with a more powerful battery if you shop around. However unless you will run heaters, laptops, etc. (I don't) it's perfectly adequate.
8) I got vibration pads, but the scope (AS-GT) is so steady, that I don't bother taking them out. :(
9) I got a Scopetronix camera adapter for my digital camera (it's camera-specific). This is really an excellent product! :D My digital camera (a Canon Powershot S40) does not have threads on the lens, but it fits perfectly and snugly into this. Prior to this I bought an Orion multi-purpose camera adapter which was much cheaper, but also entirely useless.
10) I'll leave EP's in general alone. Make sure however that you have something good in the 10-12mm range, as the 9.25 will be able to use those (200x+) range powers a lot. You will also need something for "widefield". Remember you are limited to about 1.1 degrees TFOV.
11) I do have a Telrad, but I never use it. It is simply not relevant if you have a GoTo scope. It was great on my previous scope, a C8, especially from dark sites.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:54 PM

How does the C9.25 feel on the CG5 mount? I've heard everything from it being perfectly stable to not at all. I bought the mount (CG5-GT, but backordered) thinking it was somewhere in between, and I was hoping to use it for beginning-intermediate astrophotography. I would upgrade to a GM-8/11 (or something of similar grade) later and use the CG5-GT for my other scopes.

Any thoughts?

#8 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:52 AM

11) I do have a Telrad, but I never use it. It is simply not relevant if you have a GoTo scope. It was great on my previous scope, a C8, especially from dark sites.

I respectfully disagree - I have Telrad on my N11GPS - and when doing scratch alignments, it's a great accessory to have. It's also good when one is doing things like Messier certs, where the use of GOTO is frowned upon.

#9 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:10 PM

How does the C9.25 feel on the CG5 mount? I've heard everything from it being perfectly stable to not at all.

Anybody that says that the C9.25 is not stable on the (new) CG-5 is talking his prejudices, and does not own a scope. Or perhaps he forgot to tighten something. Sorry, but on this subject there is no room for discussion. For VISUAL observation, the CG-5 is *perfectly* adequate for the C9.25. For astrophotography where you would add a guidescope, camera, barlows, etc. you may want a GM-11 or CGE (but if so you should probably start with an 11" scope).

Remember that there was an OLDER version of the CG-5 with a MUCH worse tripod. Any reviews from people that owned that mount (with respect to stability) were rendered irrelevant by the release of the new sturdy tripod, now standard with all S-GT series scopes (and the mount).

#10 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:53 PM

For VISUAL observation, the CG-5 is *perfectly* adequate for the C9.25.

I agree. My lack of astrophotography experience prevents me from being able to comment on that, but for visual use it's been as steady as I had hoped. No complaints at all.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:05 PM

How does the C9.25 feel on the CG5 mount? I've heard everything from it being perfectly stable to not at all.

Anybody that says that the C9.25 is not stable on the (new) CG-5 is talking his prejudices, and does not own a scope. Or perhaps he forgot to tighten something. Sorry, but on this subject there is no room for discussion. For VISUAL observation, the CG-5 is *perfectly* adequate for the C9.25. For astrophotography where you would add a guidescope, camera, barlows, etc. you may want a GM-11 or CGE (but if so you should probably start with an 11" scope).

Remember that there was an OLDER version of the CG-5 with a MUCH worse tripod. Any reviews from people that owned that mount (with respect to stability) were rendered irrelevant by the release of the new sturdy tripod, now standard with all S-GT series scopes (and the mount).

Thank you kind sir. I have heard that the new 2" legs on the CG5 are considerably more substantial than the previous ones. I think it will be a great setup even when I go to a more substantial mount, but I hope I can at least get some quality shots before doing so. I guess we'll see! :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics