•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AWB 130mm frist light

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

LOL just wrote a whole long write up about this scope only to hit the wrong button and lost it all. So a quick summery is this is one great scope for the price giving very sharp images that are very closed to what my 120mm EON ed refractor puts up but which when bought the OTA alone was $2000.00  . Saturn show good detail using a 8.8mm and 4mm eyepiece. The scope moves very smooth in both axis,and I had no trouble following Saturn using a 4mm eyepiece. This scope is so easy to setup and use, you just carry it outside put it on a table and that's it. For the price of $199.99 I think you would be hard pressed to find a better scope in this size range. Oh yea and it looks good to.   lol.......Clear skys.

Edited by George Methvin, 28 August 2014 - 10:29 PM.

• havasman likes this

#2 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

try the ES68 24mm for wide field. >2.5deg! and clean. i agree 100% that it stands up to high power too.

#3 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

I was never good at star testing scopes so I always went by how much power it could take before the image would get soft. I once had a Coulter 13 inch dob that the optic were so poor you could not use any eyepiece above16mm and the images would go soft. This new scope has no problem handle a 4mm eyepiece and the image staying sharp. A real plus for me being retire now and traveling a lot is being able to take this scope with me, it take up so little room. Like all scopes this one I will have to do a little work on to get it where I want it. Like a eyepiece holder

and  a light shield to block some of the light from the street light across the road from me LOL it never ends just one more thing.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

try the ES68 24mm for wide field. >2.5deg! and clean. i agree 100% that it stands up to high power too.

I'm using the 24mm Panoptic, 16mm T5 and ES 11mm 82* in mine.   :) ‚Äč  

Even though it's limited to 1.25" eyepieces the views are  bright for a compact ota and at f/5 the coma is not intrusive for me.

Modified a Celestron C-6/8  plastic dew shield for a somewhat clumsy, but effective shroud. Other have done neater shrouds with kydex.

Attached Thumbnails

• 130.jpg

Edited by Jim7728, 29 August 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#5 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

As long as it does the job who cares. You are right about this scope putting up bright images you almost think you are looking through a bigger scope lol. This scope has impressed me so much I am going to buy another one to give to my daughter. I have been using the following eyepieces with this scope with good result. You are right coma does not bother me and most of the time there is very little of it. Over all just a very nice little telescope for the money.

Burgess 6mm TMB

Meade 8.8mm UWA 82deg

ES 11mm 82deg

Meade16mm 68deg

Celestron 23mm Axiom 68 deg

• havasman likes this

#6 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Agree on all points. I'm really surprised at how well mine does from a dark site.

I use the Meade SWA 24mm 68 deg (same as the ES). You'll see a little field curvature, but I agree this or the Pan is the best low-power option.

I also use a 13T6, and XW's for the higher powers.

#7 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Well I order my daughter a AWB 130mm today that's how impressed  I am with this scope

Edited by George Methvin, 29 August 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#8 gene 4181

gene 4181

Skylab

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

glad you like it george, i had the 5in f5 skywatcher also, really nice views. no need for a st 80 or 120, and the little reflector can take the power,.

#9 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

I checked AWB web site this morning and noticed that the 130 mm is no longer listed. The scope was on there website friday when i placed my order. So not sure I got my order in on time Friday to get one before they might have sold out lol. Time will tell lol.

#10 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

I like the specs on this scope for both travel and its wide AFOV.  My 10" has a fan and I leave it outside for a couple of hours for cool down.  How do you manage cold down on this little scope?

#11 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

I do the same thing I do for all my scope, I take a room fan outside and point it at my scope an just leave it there . The fan gently blows a steady flow of air across the scope.

#12 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

I use this scope for travel on a Bogen tripod and UA DwarfStar head; still easy to use and packs smaller and lighter without the base. Though the tripod and mount head cost more than the scope they get lots of use with other scopes as well. The AWB 130's compromises make a lot of sense for a travel scope and the performance is impressive.

How do you manage cold down on this little scope?

So far I haven't really noticed any issues with cool down. The size of the mirror and open tube allow it to equalize pretty quickly without a fan; much quicker than my C5 (lots of glass and enclosed tube). Obviously if you want the best performance at high magnifications you'll want to get it as close to ambient as possible but for travel and sharing the view with others it's not much of a concern for me.

#13 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I like the specs on this scope for both travel and its wide AFOV.  My 10" has a fan and I leave it outside for a couple of hours for cool down.  How do you manage cold down on this little scope?

This little guy doesn't take long. With the tube open, it cools very quickly.

No fan required!

• havasman likes this

#14 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Well last night thought I would do a head to head match up between the $199.99 AWB 130mm reflector and my $2000 EON 120mm ed refractor on Saturn. I let both scope cool down for about 45mins. Now by dark Saturn was low so seeing was not as good as it could have been.  I used roughly about the same power on testing each scope. Frist in the 120ed using a 9mm eyepiece Saturn was very sharp going up to a 4mm the image was still very sharp with lots of details. Using about the same power with the AWB 130mm Saturn was sharp  but the images was a little dimmer but I was seeing about the same level of detail on the planet. Going to a higher power is where the 120mm ed with its $2000 price tag pulled ahead the images were very sharp and had good contrast where the AWB 130mm was still good and showing fair details the image was dimmer and not as sharp plus had less contrast then the 120mm ed. Now viewing open field cluster and star fields there was not a big diffract between the two scopes. There were no surprises in this shootout I did not expect the AWB 130mm to beat the 120mm ed but the AWB 130mm did very well for a $199.99 scope. I really like the views through my EON 120mm ed but it is not a grab and go scope with the eq mount and the ota it is fairly heavy plus you have to take the ota off the tripod and try to fit it all in a car.  Now I will say this about the AWB 130mm as I have said before if you are looking for a grab and go scope with good optic and is well built then this just may be the scope for you. I can carry the whole scope down stairs and outside and be viewing in a very short time or just throw it in the back seat of the car and off you go. Its a very easy scope to use and gives good views that would more then please the first time viewers or most of us experience viewer.  The eyepieces that come with this scope are not bad but I have replaced them with better eyepiece's.  My daughter received her AWB 130mm the other day and she says her and my grandchildren just love the scope. This scope is not with out its problem as you my want to make a light shroud to block stray light plus the focuser has some play in it . Hope this has been some use to folks, clear sky.

• havasman likes this

#15 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Well last night thought I would do a head to head match up between the $199.99 AWB 130mm reflector and my $2000 EON 120mm ed refractor on Saturn. I let both scope cool down for about 45mins. Now by dark Saturn was low so seeing was not as good as it could have been.  I used roughly about the same power on testing each scope. Frist in the 120ed using a 9mm eyepiece Saturn was very sharp going up to a 4mm the image was still very sharp with lots of details. Using about the same power with the AWB 130mm Saturn was sharp  but the images was a little dimmer but I was seeing about the same level of detail on the planet. Going to a higher power is where the 120mm ed with its $2000 price tag pulled ahead the images were very sharp and had good contrast where the AWB 130mm was still good and showing fair details the image was dimmer and not as sharp plus had less contrast then the 120mm ed. Now viewing open field cluster and star fields there was not a big diffract between the two scopes. There were no surprises in this shootout I did not expect the AWB 130mm to beat the 120mm ed but the AWB 130mm did very well for a $199.99 scope. I really like the views through my EON 120mm ed but it is not a grab and go scope with the eq mount and the ota it is fairly heavy plus you have to take the ota off the tripod and try to fit it all in a car.  Now I will say this about the AWB 130mm as I have said before if you are looking for a grab and go scope with good optic and is well built then this just may be the scope for you. I can carry the whole scope down stairs and outside and be viewing in a very short time or just throw it in the back seat of the car and off you go. Its a very easy scope to use and gives good views that would more then please the first time viewers or most of us experience viewer.  The eyepieces that come with this scope are not bad but I have replaced them with better eyepiece's.  My daughter received her AWB 130mm the other day and she says her and my grandchildren just love the scope. This scope is not with out its problem as you my want to make a light shroud to block stray light plus the focuser has some play in it . Hope this has been some use to folks, clear sky.

Good post - my results were the same!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics