•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX80 and LX 800 mounts - How are they now?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hi everyone! 

I have been lurking around in here regarding the recall of the LX80 Multi mount & LX800 equatorial mounts that took place some time ago before the old Meade company was bought out by Sunny.

Did the old and or new managed Meade company resolve everyone's mount issues?  I really want to know.

I bought a LX80 Multi mount from someone brand new and it had the circuit board burnout issue that I know was happening.  When I fired mine up, I was getting Motor Fault error message on my Audiostar.  I took it upon myself to open up the mount cover on the declination axle and did see the circuit board burnt chip on that circuit board; however Meade did come through and sent me a new circuit board for that and the problem is solved. I love this mount now!  It works so well.  I have the LX80 OTA on it.  In the Alt-Az mode, I aligned it using the Compass routine of starting up. It then proceeded to slew to Arcturus as the first alignment star.  That was off about a degree.  I centered it and pressed Enter.  Then the mount was commanded to slew to Vega for the other alignment.  I centered that star (about a 1/2 degree off). Then the Audiostar displayed Alignment Successful!

From that point on, no matter what object I slewed it to placed the object somewhere in the FOV of a 20mm eyepiece! I was very impressed.  The tracking was very good for the rest of the evening.  I was very happy with this setup now.

I used this a few more times subsequent nights all with the same excellent results!  :waytogo:

I bought this setup for my college son who is really getting into this hobby for visual use.  I like it so much that I am seriously thinking of getting a LX80 for myself. 

I hope Meade comes out with a version of theis Multi-mount again soon.  It's a great mount.  Well built inside and the worm and gear are well made too. I want to have one of these for a dedicated solar rig in which I would use my Coronado 90mm filter on one side and another 102mm scope on the other side for a white light solar setup.  This will be great for anytime use!

So now I wonder, how did all the other folks out here make out with the LX80 mount?

I know a friend of mine has the LX850 mount and is extremely happy with it.  He uses the Starlock and that setup works just fantastic for his imaging routines.

Edited by Awesomelenny, 30 August 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#2 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

I still have my LX80, and still all original.  Works well, so I have no complaints, other than it is a beast to pick up. 

#3 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yes they are heavy.  I still have mine.  In alt/az mode they are a wonderful mount, just not what they were advertised to be.   :p

Len:  Don't plan on doing any astrophotography in EQ mode. 

#4 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

The only astro photography that I see reasonable with this mount would be solar or lunar. For us this mount is intended for grab-n-go visual anyway. I have my trusty Atlas EQ-G if I want to do deep sky imaging.

At home I use my Astro-Physics AP1200 mount.

So, I will tell you though, this LX80 is very quick and easy to set up and ready to go with very accurate slews to whatever object the Audiostar was commanded to do.

You say it's heavy? It's only 32 pounds. Setting it in top of the tripod is cool. It clicks into place and you tighten the 3 knobs from underneath.

#5 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

I leave mine attached to the tripod, have it standing in my sun room.  I tend to just loosen the leg spreader out of the way and carry the whole thing out that way.   I guess I should modify the way I setup the mount, it would make it easier.

#6 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Sputnik

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

I really enjoy my lx80. I started using it in Alt/Az, but lately I have had it set up in EQ mode. Both work great. I always separate it whenever I set it up, just seems so much easier to get it through the sliding door!

I have my eye on the lx850 right now, and have been slowly liquidating my telescopes to get one... hopefully just a few more months.

#7 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

This is interesting. I am actually surprised that there are just a few positive comments so far.  How about it guys? Any more of you folks using the LX80 since the recalls and repairs?  :question:  I am also curious of any of you still have a "broken" mount and it's just sitting in a corner or boxed up in your basement or something?

Edited by Awesomelenny, 07 September 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Starman27

Starman27

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have a LX80 that was purchased toward the end of the sales/production run. I purchased it to replace both my aging LXD650 and LXD75. It work fine for me. I use it a lot in alt/az., but it performs fine in eq. I haven't tried any guided AP, since I didn't buy it for that purpose (I have permanently mounted scopes for AP). My only problem is that it is not as portable as I had expected. I either under estimated it's weight or my ability. Probably both. It is less of a problem than my LXD650, but much more heavy and awkward than my LXD75. Now it is sitting on a light weight collapsible hand truck fully assembled w/o spreader. I use it for outreach and dark site trips. I currently use it with a Meade 5000 102 refractor to it or a C6. It will also handle my TAK FSNSV 128. The mount wasn't overpriced and seemed a decent value.

#9 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Sputnik

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I have a LX80 that was purchased toward the end of the sales/production run. I purchased it to replace both my aging LXD650 and LXD75. It work fine for me. I use it a lot in alt/az., but it performs fine in eq. I haven't tried any guided AP, since I didn't buy it for that purpose (I have permanently mounted scopes for AP). My only problem is that it is not as portable as I had expected. I either under estimated it's weight or my ability. Probably both. It is less of a problem than my LXD650, but much more heavy and awkward than my LXD75. Now it is sitting on a light weight collapsible hand truck fully assembled w/o spreader. I use it for outreach and dark site trips. I currently use it with a Meade 5000 102 refractor to it or a C6. It will also handle my TAK FSNSV 128. The mount wasn't overpriced and seemed a decent value.

So far this is my only complaint "the weight of this mount". A lot more weight than I had anticipated. I have only had experiences with the LXD55 (GEM mount), so I kind of had that in my mind. But it is really easy to set up! 

#10 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

With regard to its ability for AP... 

http://vimeo.com/84486612

I'd say it works...

As for negative comments, in the previous threads that were here on CN, I found it unusual that there were so many coming from people that didn't even own one or even use it. 

• DH1857 likes this

#11 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'd say it works...

As for negative comments, in the previous threads that were here on CN, I found it unusual that there were so many coming from people that didn't even own one or even use it. 

Do you have one?

#12 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

I'd say it works...

Do you have one?

Yes.  I use it with a 127mm f5 Petzval refractor. Total weight at about 20lbs.  Use it in Alt/Azi mode.

#13 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

My lx 850 works really well.  It is a fantastic mount.

#14 Skokauckas

Skokauckas

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona -United States

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

I myself do not own or operate a Meade LX80 mount...still running with my LXD75. This mount has had about a 50/50 ratio of success and failures. Meade Instruments did try to address early errors with the mounts and to my knowlege they did fine after that.

But now it appears the LX80 line is GONE!!!

I hate having to bring bad news but it appears that Meade has dis-continued the LX80 line! I was looking around for one last week and they are history! I contacted both Meade Intruments as well as optcorp to confirm and it's true. Looks like the line did not pan out the way Meade was hoping it would...that's the word anyway.

"Go Blue...Go MEADE."

Edited by Skokauckas, 30 September 2014 - 05:09 AM.

#15 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

For me, my LX80 was manufactured near the end of the production run, and happily it works as advertised.   It is swinging a 23 pound Celestron 9.25 (ooops, my bad) and with but a few shakes when stopping in fast slew, seems to hold the weight quite well.

I am one of the happy ones!

Jim

#16 Rat

Rat

Viking 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

I have a LX80 mount that has never worked correctly.  The mount has a runaway problem and it now has a permanent home in my closet.

#17 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hey Rat,

You could always use it as a boat anchor.   :p  At least that's my plan if mine ever dies.

#18 WardyNew

WardyNew

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm enjoying my 14" f8 sct on the LX850 mount.  Has allowed a newbie like me to start with a very large OTA and get accurate gotos without lots of searching around for stuff.  Have bought a DSLR to start imaging with the next time the wonderful UK weather actually gives me a clear night...

#19 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

This is good folks!  Keep up the chatter here!  I know that as far as the Meade OTA's I have owned, every one of them had great optics.  My 14" LX850 OTA is just absolutely stunning! My friend John Crilly has the LX850 mount and Starlock and oh boy is he ever a super happy one with this mount!

#20 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have a LX80 mount that has never worked correctly.  The mount has a runaway problem and it now has a permanent home in my closet.

Rat,  please describe in detail the issues you're having with your LX80. I bet we could get this repaired quite quickly. I could help you recognize the source of your problem.  My son bought a LX80 mount and it too had an electronics issue but after examining it, it was quickly identified and I ordered the part from Meade and it's working beautifully now.

#21 volkano

volkano

Lift Off

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hi Everybody, new on CN, do you think the LX80 can handle the weight of a Meade ACF 12" F10? Just planning to repace my 1980´s Meade EQ8. Thanks everyone !!!

#22 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hi Everybody, new on CN, do you think the LX80 can handle the weight of a Meade ACF 12" F10? 

Nope. It's a nice mount (mine was flawless) but a small mount like that has only so much capacity. I think the spec was 35 pounds or so on each side and that was probably a little optimistic (as are the capacity specs of all mounts in that price class). I used mine with a C8 and experienced no problems.

The LX850, however, does a fine job with my 12" Meade OTA.

#23 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

I'd say it works...

Certainly a great demonstration field rotation!

#24 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• Vendors

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hi Volkano, 

Definitely go with the LX850, it is a workhorse and will easily handle the weight of a 12" OTA. We sell it with the 10, 12 and 14" tubes and it happily carries them all. The 12" is no problem for it whatsoever, as John C. noted above. (Hi John!) 

The LX80 was very cool for what it was IMO, but I would recommend sticking to OTA's below 10". It makes a nice platform for an 8" OTA, especially in alt-az, and maybe with a little refractor or so on for star parties. The Vimeo link of Orion done in alt-az is pretty amazing and quite artistic!  That's fun stuff right there. 

Clear Skies all, 

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp. 

#25 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

I bought a LX80 Multi mount from someone brand new and it had the circuit board burnout issue that I know was happening.  When I fired mine up, I was getting Motor Fault error message on my Audiostar.  I took it upon myself to open up the mount cover on the declination axle and did see the circuit board burnt chip on that circuit board; however Meade did come through and sent me a new circuit board for that and the problem is solved. 

I've got one with bad Dec board. It's a great door stop. I'll try replacing the bad MOSFET, but suspect it's a more fundamental problem. You were lucky to get some support for the mount when it was still available. As it is  it keeps company with a few dead LX50s, a couple of LX200s and a LS mount I'm working on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics