•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why no reviews on Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

There seems to be very little chatter on the new Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces. The specs seem quite good. The pice is very reasonable. Any opinions on these?

• satchosan and Charlespl like this

#2 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

• Loc: North of 64

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

I've got a couple. My 5mm and 7mm aren't going anywhere.

The general consensus seems quite positive, folks buy 'em and like 'em.

They don't generate a lot of excitement but that may have more to do with the price than anything.

• JimOfOakCreek likes this

#3 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Have a 9mm for two years now, actually I have a pair (for binoviewing). I use the 9mm with a C6 (in mono)  a lot for ~180x. I like it; minimal if any aberrations to the (smooth well defined) field stop, fairly neutral tone, comfortable eye relief and I actually like the twist up eye guard. Well built also. Can't really complain about much. They're a bargain if you ask me. 

-Rob

• BillShakes likes this

#4 Fireball

Fireball

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Look here:

http://stargazerslou...-lx-review-ish/

http://stargazerslou...yepiece-review/

#5 swix

swix

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I have the 12mm, 9mm, 7mm, 5mm, and the 2x & 3x barlows.  I use them for planets with my C6-SCT and C8 Newt. IMO they provide very good views and the price is right.

#6 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Actually, this eyepiece line isn't that new. If you read carefully this and other similar forums or dig up archives you can find  tons of info. Both the X-cel LXs and its rebrand, the Meade 5000 HD-60s, as well as a group of closely related rebrands like AT Paradigm/Agena Starguider/BST Explorer are well-known excellent 60* AFOV performers on a budget. AFAIK, the best are considered the 8/9mm, the 12mm and the 25mm. The 18mm eyepieces have noticeable FC in fast scopes but should be OK at f/9 and slower. If you have a limited budget you won't be mistaken buying any of these.

#7 TCW

TCW

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

I have a 25mm and a 9mm and hope to get more. In my opinion the best EP for the money.   I use them on f/6 newts and a f/10 refractor.  If you are on a budget I highly recommend them.

Edited by TCW, 01 September 2014 - 01:39 AM.

• LDW47 likes this

#8 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Here's my quick review.

Just like Tony said "They'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!" :)  :)

Along with the AT Paradigms they offer 90% plus of certain well-known (and very expensive brands) for around a quarter of the price. ;)  ;)

#9 lordhaw

lordhaw

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Bay, ON Canada

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

There isn't much in the way of reviews on them but those that have them like them.  I have a 12mm and 9mm X-Cel LX and love them.  There are of course better and wider field eyepieces and that's where all the discussion is.  The low cost eyepieces and in particular the 60 degree range doesn't seem to garner much excitement or interest per-se.  But these are good, middle of the road eyepieces that have decent eye relief.  I can't compare them too much personally but I like them better than my 10mm Plossl (slightly better transmission, colour and a far wider FOV, along with superior eye relief) and they hold up well against my 15mm Luminos (the Luminos has slightly better light transmission and colour rendition from what I have seen).  I am not selling or giving mine up regardless of what eyepieces I purchase.  I like them too much.

#10 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

I tried on once doing a repair of one from a fellow CNer.  It provided a very good view and performance, just had a little more scatter and a little more edge of field brightening than one sees from more expensive and premium brands...but for their price hard to argue with any shortcomings.  Seemed to me to be a good workhorse eyepiece.  Unfortunately, since nothing glitzy about it, then eyepieces like that seem to never get the same level of attention.  If I was building an eyepiece stall and had to choose between these or similar (Paradigms, Meade HDs, TMB Planetaries) or Plossls, even if premium Plossls were in the mix, would be a no brainer to go with these.

• KeithC likes this

#11 Saturninus

Saturninus

Viking 1

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

I've had the 9mm and 25mm and I thought there were just fine on my forgiving f10 8" SCT. Having said that, they got bullied out of my collection by a Pentax 10mm XW and a Televue Panoptic 24mm, but mainly for the wider AFOV of the latter and better ergonomics. But the Pentax and TV offerings are quadruple the price, but I certainly wouldn't say they were 4x better optically. In fact, I think you will find the common refrain for the X-cels  is that you get more bang for your buck relative to higher end eyepieces.

I had a Pentax 7mm XW, but I found that I was just not using it enough to justify the high price. Too much power on most nights for my viewing conditions in a 8" f10 SCT. So I wanted to get something that wouldn't cost me too much given that I won't be able to use it most nights, but of reasonably good quality so that on those rare nights when I can go up to 300x I wouldn't be regretting that I didn't have a better eyepiece. The 7mm X-cel fit the bill perfectly 

• gfstallin likes this

#12 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

I used to have a 7mm X-cel.  I liked it a lot.  A very user friendly eyepiece and the views were pretty nice.

I only sold it to try a 7mm Nagler T1.

I might try a 5mm X-cel.  I need something around 5mm.

#13 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

I had the 9mm for a while and it was my highest power in my C8.....then a used 8.8mm ES came up for sale so bought that and sold the 9.

#14 precaud

precaud

Aurora

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I had a 7mm LX early last year and liked it until the night I compared it to a friend's N7T1. It was not a subtle difference in sharpness and detail, on-axis or off-.

Around the same time I tried the 5mm LX, thought it was maybe defective so sent it back and exchanged it for another, it was the same. Not good at all.

I also had a 9mm HD-60 (same glass as the Xcel LX) and it was pretty good, no glaring faults. I kept it until I got an 8.8mm ES82.

So my experience is, at the shorter focal lengths, the Xcel LX tradeoffs are pretty severe and not worthwhile, giving nowhere near the "90%" mentioned earlier. From 9mm up I think they're real bargains.

• KeithC and Peter Besenbruch like this

#15 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

There seems to be very little chatter on the new Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces. The specs seem quite good. The pice is very reasonable. Any opinions on these?

I had the 25, 18, 12 & 9mm and the 2 & 3x barlows all LX's, they were great all round EP's that I used in my 3 ST refractors and my 6" & 8" Dobs.  Recently I sold them all save for the 2x Barlow and replaced them with the Celestron Luminos series because they have an 82 Deg AFOV instead of the LX's 70 Deg.for about $25 more per EP.  Wide field views are my personal preference and I do get that with the Luminos. I highly recommend the LX's for the price !

#16 AL W

AL W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, FL

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

I got and returned a whole set for QC issues like water spots" in the coatings and a scratch in the field lens. I -did- have really high hopes for these ep's too. I really needed a -good- 7mm, but this was the one with the scratch!

The optics were really nice thou. Nice clear image too. They almost seemed like "ED" glass, but these are not. The original X-Cel's did have "ED" glass. This one fact was hard to find too.

Now I have a nice 7mm, a TV Nagler! :)

#17 Clustersteve

Clustersteve

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Burlington,Ky.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have the 18,7 and 5mm. Like them but had some QC issues with the 5mm. It had black specks on it. I returned it got a new one and checked it out and it seemed fine. Of course the clouds did not allow me to use it for a month or so but then got it out and was checking out the moon when once again I seen the small specks on the lense. I was too late to return it so I am going to try to see if I can clean it. I have read in that what is happening is that when the bottom part is screwed on it is knocking off metal from the threads. It was weird though because the 18 and 7 did not seem to have this issue.

I just looked on amazon and they have dropped in price to 41$ so for that price and what for you get out of them, i may get a few more.

Edited by Clustersteve, 30 December 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#18 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

I bought a 5mm, and used it a few times. Not that good. I would best describe the view through it as "blah." I had hoped to replace a Baader Hyperion 5mm, but that wasn't to be, as the Baader snapped into focus better, had better contrast, better saturation, and about the same amount of off axis color. I also looked through an acquaintance's 25mm LX. It was decent. I would be happier with it, than the 5mm.

The LX series offers a lot on paper for very little money. In the field, they are OK at longer focal lengths.

• Scanning4Comets likes this

#19 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Apollo

• Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have review of whole X-Cel LX series,.. but in Russian http://astro-talks.r....php?f=32&t=993

They are very different in image quality: 7 mm (actually 6.5 mm) and 9 mm are the best in the line, 5 and 12 mm are very moderate in aberration correction, 18 mm and 2.3 are the worst in the line. I did not test 25 mm X-Cel LX, but if it is the same as 25 mm HD-60/Meade it should be very good performer.

#20 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

Ernest, do you think that the Celestron and Meade come from the same manufacture, same optics?

#21 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

25mm is ok, I had that one....the 18mm had lots of FC. Never tried the rest.

Edited by Scanning4Comets, 30 December 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#22 zsb04

zsb04

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

i have the 2.3, i use it with es80 and works just fine, good deal for price

#23 A6Q6

A6Q6

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I don't have any of the eyepieces but I really like the X-Cel LX  2X shorty barlow. http://www.cloudynig...dpost&p=6149390

#24 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

$74.99 ,  that is a great price, its making me think twice about the ES68's that are on sale at Astronomics right now for $111.99, but seem to be out of stock,  they look like a really good prospect, especially for a gift to a young teenager starting out or even a seasoned observer just wanting to spend some money.

• LDW47 likes this

#25 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

I tried a 25mm X-Cel LX in my f/4 reflector.  Like most other 25mm or longer forcal length eyepieces in my scope, it had problems with blackouts if I didn't hold my eye in exactly the right place.  I was hoping to use this eyepiece for wide field scanning, but it just didn't work out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics