•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone with the new Lunt 50mm PT?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#76 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hello Dennis,

Congratulations! You will have alot of fun with this scope. You may already have a 1.25-inch nosepiece for your DSLR, but you may not be able to achieve focus using the nosepiece due to the short back-focus of the scope. I'm actually trying to find out from Lunt right now what the back-focus distance is to see if I can match a binoviewer such as the Baader Maxbright with a glass path compensator (GPC) to the scope.

With my Skyris 132m, I am able to achieve focus by unscrewing the eyepiece barrel from the front of the blocking diagonal, and then using the Starizona T-to-C adapter to mate the camera's C-threads to the blocking diagonal's T-threads. You may just need a T-ring for your DSLR that will screw into the T-threads on the blocking filter.

I've found that I can capture the disk details and the prominences together with the double-stack module (no need to composite the disk with the proms later in photo editing software such as Photoshop). This shot was taken at prime focus (no barlow). I just cropped the image to show half the disk instead of the full disk.

proms-on-west-limb_-for-web.jpg

I've also successfully used a 1.5x barlow:

video-8-barlow-final-for-web reduced 50 percent_web.jpg

Also, here is a link to my image gallery on Astrobin: http://www.astrobin....robinandcurtis/

-Robin

• Live_Steam_Mad and gfstallin like this

#77 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

Beautiful images. Thanks for the views.  :waytogo:

Rich (RLTYS)

• saguaro likes this

#78 dennisjames1

dennisjames1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

Hello Robin

I seem to be having trouble with the helical focuser, well it doesn't move, the rubber grip is just tuning around the shaft. i had a look there are three set screws that hold it secure to the shaft and the is a philips head screw on the  barrel that you just see towards the diagonal end. Now if i loosen that one or take it off i can move the focuser and tighten with the large set screw, but you are turning the diagonal end around to achieve focus.

How is yours working, did you have any issues ?

i am all good with the tuning , that works just fine, but i just could not work out why the focus wasn't sharp no matter how much i was turning the rubber grip until  a close look.

cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennisjames1, 31 January 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#79 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

Hi Dennis,

My helical focuser does occasionally bind up as well and does not move when I turn the rubber grip. I've so far been able to get it to turn by turning the rubber grip back the other way so that the focuser engages again. As I said in my earlier comments here, the focuser is the only part of the scope that I'm not completely happy with. 

By all means contact Lunt directly to discuss your issues. They can send you another focuser or help you troubleshoot yours. 

-Robin

#80 dennisjames1

dennisjames1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:14 AM

Hi Robin

You never messed with any screws , just the rubber grip?

Dennis

Edited by dennisjames1, 01 February 2015 - 03:14 AM.

#81 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

Yes, I've not adjusted any screws.

#82 dennisjames1

dennisjames1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Do you need to hold your diagonal from turning when you focus ?

#83 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

No, I don't need to hold the diagonal when focusing. If you are having such problems, I suggest contacting Lunt.

#84 Adam S

Adam S

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: ABQ, NM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Is anybody using one or have knowledge as to whether or not this scope will work with a binoviewer?

#85 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

Adam,

I have the LS50 with the 600 blocking filter and the optional double-stack module. It is my first solar scope and I am really enjoying it with the Lunt zoom eyepiece.

I am also trying to answer the question of whether the LS50 will work with a binoviewer. When I asked Lunt this question, they told me the following: "I am sorry you will not be able to have a binoviewer reach focus with the LS50T. The scope was not designed for use with a binoviewer. It is more of a beginner scope. If you are interested in binoviewing you will need to step up to the LS60THa scope."

However, in email conversation with Harry Siebert (http://www.siebertop....com/index.html), he does appear to have a binoviewer solution that will work with this scope. It looks very promising to me so far. I would also purchase another Lunt zoom eyepiece so that I have a pair to use with the binoviewer. I also contacted Denkmeier and they say they have a solution for this scope also. However, the Siebert Black Night plus their 1.2x OCA is a less expensive solution so I am going to pursue that. I haven't checked with EarthWin to see if they also offer a solution, but I plan to do that too.

If you also plan to use a binoviewer with another scope for night-time viewing, for example,  then that would obviously influence your decision about which binoviewer would meet your needs for both scopes. I would like to use a binoviewer with my C-14 Edge scope as well as the Lunt, so that will factor into any binoviewer purchase I might make.

While the Siebert solution is more expensive than the Baader Maxbright, for example, it does appear to me that the Siebert solution will allow the scope to achieve focus with his binoviewer (with 1.2x OCA) right out of the box. With the Maxbright, I don't think even the 2.6x Glass Path Compensator (GPC) would provide enough "in-focus" with the short-travel helical focuser on the LS50.

Here is the discussion I started about this question in the Binoviewer forum: http://www.cloudynig...ha-solar-scope/

As to the questions of how the weight of the binoviewer will affect the scope's balance and put any strain on the diagonal or focuser, I cannot yet answer these questions. However, I am looking at swapping out the Lunt helical focuser (which is the only part of the scope I don't like) for a smoother-operating Borg helical focuser (model 7315).

I would be really interest to hear from anyone who is successfully using a binoviewer with this scope. I would also encourage you to do your own research just to make sure you are making the right decision for your needs.

-Robin

Edited by saguaro, 08 February 2015 - 12:05 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#86 Adam S

Adam S

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: ABQ, NM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Robin, years ago I had a 90mm Coronado which was sold to finance a 5" refractor.  I've currently got a 35mm Lunt which exceeds expectations but I'd like to bump up in aperture.  I can say without reservation that binoviewing in Ha is stunning, more impactful than nighttime DSOS viewing.  I'll call Denkmeier tomorrow and see what he says about my current system with the Lunt 50mm which appears to be a great value.

#87 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

Adam,

I've only exchanged emails with Denkmeier, just to get an idea of what I would need and the approximate costs. I was told by Russ Lederman that the following would work for the LS50: Binotron-27 Super System with #150 1.25-inch OCS for scope side of B600 blocking diagonal, 1.25" binotron nosepiece for ep side of B600, power switch on bino giving low power view. Mid and high power views would require an 1.25" extension tube to rack out for focus with the helical focuser. But he says the low power would be best anyway for this scope.

I'll be interested to find out what you learn from Denkmeier, so could you post your findings here? Thanks.

#88 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

I have just ordered a Seibert Black Night binoviewer (with the Multimag OCS) for my LS50. (The multimag OCS will also allow me to use the binoviewers with my C-14 Edge scope.) From talking with Harry Seibert, the weight and size of the Black Night binoviewer seems to be a good match for the LS50. With two Lunt zoom eyepieces, I'm estimating a total of about 1.5 pounds (24 ounces). The LS50's double-stack module which screws onto the front of the scope weighs 1.5 lbs, so my hope is that the addition of the binoviewer won't make the scope too difficult to balance.

The Denkmeier solution was tempting, but I felt that the power switch component would be overkill for the LS50, since it would always be used in low power mode. However, I'm sure the powerswitch would be convenient for the C-14. In the end, I decided on the Seibert Black Night because I plan to use the binoviewer primarily with the LS50. I'll have more to say once I've actually had a chance to use it.

#89 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

My Seibert Black Night binoviewer hasn't arrived yet. For use with it, I decided to get 2 Baader Hyperion Click-Stop zoom eyepieces. While waiting for the binoviewer, I've been using one of the Baader zooms in "mono" mode with my LS50 double-stacked scope. Since the Baader zoom has a slightly longer light path, I was not able to achieve focus with it "out of the box" with the Lunt 50, due to the scope's limited in-focus travel. However, I was able to cobble together a solution to gain just enough additional in-focus to make it work. I wanted to share my "mod' in case it's of interest to others.

Due to the modularity of the various parts that come with the Baader zoom, I was able to find two adapters from Scopestuff that would screw into the eyepiece and then mate to the Lunt blocking diagonal's male T-threads.

First, I unscrewed the eyepiece holder from the diagonal, exposing the male T-threads on the diagonal. Next I screwed together the two Scopestuff adapters. They are TAFF (T-thread Female to SCT Male Adapter) and TTET (10mm T-thread spacer ring). To adapt the eyepiece, I screwed into the eyepiece the Baader 2-inch adapter ring (with SCT female threads) that comes with the eyepiece.

adapter parts1.JPG

Below is the result after assembling the three adapters:

assembled2.JPG

Here is the eyepiece screwed into the diagonal:

mounted3.JPG

And here is the eyepiece mounted on the scope:

ep closeup4.JPG

I've been enjoying the views with the Baader zoom. The field of view is wider than the Lunt zoom, which I find more relaxing.

Just make sure all the T-threaded parts are securely tight. The Baader zoom is a heavy eyepiece. I had the blocking diagonal's nosepiece come loose while in use with this eyepiece. Be careful!

Edited by saguaro, 04 March 2015 - 02:44 PM.

• paulsky, Live_Steam_Mad, eros312 and 1 other like this

#90 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Another option for gaining a bit more in-focus with this scope is to use a shorter version of the supplied 1.25-inch eyepiece holder. The one that comes with the blocking diagonal is 30mm tall. Here's one that's only 15mm tall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321097986680

You could then add a T-spacer ring to the bottom of it (if necessary) to get just the right spacing (greater than 15mm but less than 30mm) in order to allow focus for a particular eyepiece, if the standard 1.25-inch adapter is too tall to allow focus.

• paulsky likes this

#91 Whiskcat

Whiskcat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

Does the lunt 50 have the same issue as the PST, where viewing has to be very centered to get a decent view? I often struggle with the PST as the view is not very clear unless centered in the eyepiece.

#92 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

I don't have any experience with the PST, but I do have the Lunt 50 with 600 blocking filter and optional double-stack filter. I have never found it to be a struggle to get a great view of the full disk. In my experience using it, the Lunt 50 does have a "sweet spot" which is slightly off center where the entire disk is completely in the best tuning location and yields the best disk and prominence details. Finding the sweet spot is easily achieved by using your mount's slow-motion (or manual) controls to get the entire disk into the sweet spot region.

After you've got the disk positioned where you want it and in focus, I find that it also helps to tighten the helical focuser "lock" screw. This serves to center the disk in the field of view while still keeping it in the sweet spot.

Edited by saguaro, 18 March 2015 - 08:46 AM.

• Live_Steam_Mad and Whiskcat like this

#93 Martin Hoyle

Martin Hoyle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Birmingham UK

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

My Seibert Black Night binoviewer hasn't arrived yet. For use with it, I decided to get 2 Baader Hyperion Click-Stop zoom eyepieces. While waiting for the binoviewer, I've been using one of the Baader zooms in "mono" mode with my LS50 double-stacked scope. Since the Baader zoom has a slightly longer light path, I was not able to achieve focus with it "out of the box" with the Lunt 50, due to the scope's limited in-focus travel. However, I was able to cobble together a solution to gain just enough additional in-focus to make it work. I wanted to share my "mod' in case it's of interest to others.

Due to the modularity of the various parts that come with the Baader zoom, I was able to find two adapters from Scopestuff that would screw into the eyepiece and then mate to the Lunt blocking diagonal's male T-threads.

First, I unscrewed the eyepiece holder from the diagonal, exposing the male T-threads on the diagonal. Next I screwed together the two Scopestuff adapters. They are TAFF (T-thread Female to SCT Male Adapter) and TTET (10mm T-thread spacer ring). To adapt the eyepiece, I screwed into the eyepiece the Baader 2-inch adapter ring (with SCT female threads) that comes with the eyepiece.

attachicon.gifadapter parts1.JPG

Below is the result after assembling the three adapters:

attachicon.gifassembled2.JPG

Here is the eyepiece screwed into the diagonal:

attachicon.gifmounted3.JPG

And here is the eyepiece mounted on the scope:

attachicon.gifep closeup4.JPG

I've been enjoying the views with the Baader zoom. The field of view is wider than the Lunt zoom, which I find more relaxing.

Just make sure all the T-threaded parts are securely tight. The Baader zoom is a heavy eyepiece. I had the blocking diagonal's nosepiece come loose while in use with this eyepiece. Be careful!

I found this very Interesting So If I want to Mount My Canon DSLR I remove The Eyepiece Holder & Screw it on Directly to get the Necessary Back Focus?

#94 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Martin,

I can't answer your question from personal experience, since I don't image with a DSLR and the Lunt 50. I use a Skyris 132m (monochrome) camera which I screw directly into the diagonal's male T-threads (after removing the eyepiece holder). I use a very short Starizona T-to-C adapter to mate the camera's C threads to the diagonal's T threads, and this gives me enough "in-focus" travel to achieve focus. However, your DSLR may require more in-focus than the helical focuser will allow. (The helical focuser that comes with the Lunt 50 has only 10mm of travel.)

Perhaps someone else who has a Lunt 50 has tried using a DSLR and can answer your question?

#95 Martin Hoyle

Martin Hoyle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Thanks BTW Did you Get a Manual with your Lunt 50?

I had to Pay Top Dollar for Mine S/H on Eclipse Day My Friend had done a Similar Eyepiece Mod to yours

Good Solar Forecast Sunday so will mount it on my Dual Telescope ADM adapter

There's also about 1/4 adjustment in the diagonal if I end up too short.

I have got a short T to C and an Astrovid Stellacam Ex so I might try that First

As always it's a Learning Curve!

like a TeleVue 21.0mm Ethos Eyepiece 2.0" for my 100 Ed Refractor!

• saguaro likes this

#96 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

No manual but there was a short description of how to use the pressure tuner. Good luck!

#97 Martin Hoyle

Martin Hoyle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

I have gone A Bit Ferrari Mad with Telescope Setup But Like The Borg Focuser

Attached Thumbnails

• ferrarismaliww.jpg
  • ferrariww.jpg

#98 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

I have gone A Bit Ferrari Mad with Telescope Setup But Like The Borg Focuser

Martin, did you see the post I made about upgrading my Lunt LS50 helical focuser here: http://www.cloudynig...e/#entry6555619

Are you using a Borg helical focuser with the Lunt LS50? Or, is it on one of the other scopes in your photo? Which Borg focuser? Thanks.

#99 Martin Hoyle

Martin Hoyle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

No I had read your Post  :lol:

The Ferrari Williams Optics Telescope is One of Only 500 Specials & has All the Trimmings

BTW This Mount Set Up was Overloaded Just for Photographic Purposes  :confused:

There will be A Paramount Set Up in Las Palmas or The Mountains of Southern France, unless I can find an American Female Astronomer to Import Me!  :lol:

Dawn Photos

Martin

Attached Thumbnails

• ferrariww.jpg
  • SUN24042015AMWw.jpg
  • M13DAWNWw.jpg
  • ferrarismaliwww.jpg

Edited by Martin Hoyle, 25 April 2015 - 01:47 PM.

• Scott Beith and Live_Steam_Mad like this

#100 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

For anyone wondering if you can use binoviewers with the Lunt LS50, please see this topic I just started on my experiences using the Siebert Black Night binoviewer with my double-stacked Lunt LS50/B600:

http://www.cloudynig...ht-binoviewers/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics