•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evaluating a Large Maksutov in the Field

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

#201 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:05 AM

Hello Ed,

Good to hear from you and very glad to hear your 5-inch Mak is delivering where it counts!

I’ve enjoyed a great winter season with Cornelia and she has shown me wonderful, crisp details in the ceaseless Jovian atmosphere.

Re: shadow transits:  I’ve seen quite a few of them, although nearly all have been ‘serendipitous’, completely unplanned and a delight to watch in the comfort of a snug observing chair. We’re on vacation to rural Perthshire next week and Cornelia will be making the trip with us, so fingers crossed for at least one clear evening to observe the heavens.

I really don’t know what to say about your C8 and whether it would be worth the ‘upgrade’.  At a guess, I’d say the images in the big Mak will be ‘poodlified’ :lol:  more than the C8; that is, with a darker sky, and lots of real nice details but maybe not as detailed as what you would gain from having an extra inch or so of raw aperture that you already enjoy with your C8. What I do know for certain is that my new 8 inch f/6 reflector will outperform the Mak on Jupiter and it’s not hard to see!

Have a great Easter weekend.

All the best,

Neil. ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Battle o' the Specula.jpg

Edited by astroneil, 04 April 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#202 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

I have the Orion 7" Mak, which is easily handled by my Sirius mount. The whole thing cost less than half as much as a 5" APO OTA if it's AP, Tak, TEC or anything like that. And it wouldn't cost any more than the lesser APO triplets.  Even then, most of the 5" APOs would probably be too heavy due to the length so I'd have to spend another bunch of money for a larger mount. So the comparison is not really applies to apples.

There might not be that many people that own Maks, but there also aren't a lot of people that own large APO's, since they can't afford them. I would like to have one just to try it, but haven't been able to justify the large expense to myself. The Mak might be considered specialized but the added aperture vs. most refractors would allow one to see deep sky objects better, other than extended objects where the narrow field would come into play. Though I use Mak for planetary mostly since I have a 10" SCT for fainter stuff.

I haven't done any scope comparisons with the Mak, but I used to have a 4" doublet and compared it to an old C8. The C8 had similar views though affected a little more by the seeing. It was brighter though of course. The refractor didn't really have any advantages vs the C8 so I sold it and kept the C8 since it was better for deep sky. The Mak appears to be a little better than the C8 was.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics