•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEAF 2015

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
186 replies to this topic

#1 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

Just saw NEAF 2015 is scheduled on the new moon weekend of April :confused:

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...r/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
Vixen 5.1" f/5 reflector
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#2 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

Just saw NEAF 2015 is scheduled on the new moon weekend of April :confused:

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...r/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
Vixen 5.1" f/5 reflector
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

So what's the problem?

buy what ya want on Saturday morning right after opening, and use it at Cherry Springs that Saturday night!  :p

....but it will probably be cloudy anyway.....

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

The problem is that I bet many people have something scheduled on new moons, like public viewings or star parties.

Oh well, look at the $$$ I will save.

#4 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

NEAF during the day to look at the Sun and nothing do with the Moon......? Star Party?

#5 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

I've done 7 straight years of the Neaf Solar Party. Will have to miss it this year. It's not the same without Barlow Bob. 

Will do some new moon observing. 

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Life is full of little conflicts!   .....and there are just not enough dark weekends during warm weather! :shocked:

...but I'll be at NEAF 2015, and perhaps the imaging conference too.

I only live about a 3 hour drive away, I'm retired (meaning I sometimes don't even know weekends from weekdays), plus there's a 80% chance it will be cloudy that weekend anyway.  ;)

Unfortunately, the dates of NEAF are up to the college and when they can fit it in.

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

NEAF during the day to look at the Sun and nothing do with the Moon......? Star Party?

Anthony Wayne Recreational Area [a big parking lot] is only 20mins away you can see the milky way. 

RAC uses the space once a month during the observing seasons as a public outreach. 

If the weather is good we should get something together...

NEAF to Joy to Universe.jpg

#8 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Administrators

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

OMG...and Arrrrggggghhhhhh! I don't think I can make it and I just saw on the map above that it is very close to the town in which I was raised (Peekskill). Is it always in the same venue? I'd love to visit there again...its been a very, very long time!

Dave

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

Yes - rockland county college.

#10 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

I would love to participate in an impromptu star party there if it can be arranged and the weather is good. Count me in!

#11 jgroub

jgroub

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

Anyone know if there's public transportation that'll get you there from Manhattan?   

#12 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Well, you need to take a train to Seacaucus from Penstation and from there you can take a train that will take you to Suffern station. From there you need to take a cab. There may be buses that can take you to the venue but I didn't have time to discover that yet :( I'm from Istanbul, Turkey :) 

Hope this helps

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

Suffern is like 5mins away.

Edited by Pinbout, 20 January 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#14 rzep8

rzep8

Viking 1

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

NEAF - Never Enough Astronomy Funds.

Every time I go there I come out dehydrated from the drooling factor. Just glad I live here in Joisey as there's not enough clear skies to warrant the purchase of all that lovely equipment.

#15 Glen A W

Glen A W

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

Visited last year, and I thought most of the stuff there was plain ugly, with the exception of Teeter's work, the chrome refractors, a couple of the products from Vixen. 

Glen

#16 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

yeah all of these classic scopes are just worth anything to look at...

https://www.youtube....h?v=ory2Jl3i-vA

Not.

and I would never even bother to stop by and look at an Avalon mount

https://www.youtube....h?v=KB1ODGBFlzs

Edited by Pinbout, 26 January 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#17 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

Thinking over my new equipment purchases over the last 6 years of so, I think 95% or more was purchased at NEAF (although I buy used more than new). The discounts are too good, and the chance to talk to the makers is too good, to pass up. Avoiding shipping (and related damage), waiting time, sales tax, are all a plus - and - I can take the item out of the box and make sure it works before walking off with it, ask for pointers on how it works, etc.

For example: when people were posting here on CN about being on a waiting list for one new optical component for bino-viewing, I asked about them at their booth. They did not have one on display. Soon, pulled from under the bench, came one in a box - which I bought for about a third off the price. I purchased one of iOptron's display mounts, we checked it to make sure it worked, and they even packed it up and carried it to my truck! When I bought a MoonLight focuser, they helped me install it on my ATM 6" Newt. Last year the vendors got in a pricing war on eyepieces, and a friend of mine bought an Ethos 17mm from one 'desperate dealer' for what was claimed to be the dealers price..... I think it was 30% off the usual price. I sat at the break table with the designer of TV's Paracoor II - and got the full scoop on how it performs. At the imaging conference I had a discussion with my friend who owns Optical Guidance Systems (and was hawking a used 14" RC), asking him his opinion of the Celestron C-14Edge. As it turns out, he had tested one (in the OGS shop) before shipping it to a customer in Russia; bottom line "It has some color, unlike our RC's, but it's a good telescope.". My biggest mistake: not taking RyanG (owner of New Moon Telescopes) up on his offer to sell me his personal 27" Dob he had on display. He even noted "I'm driving right past your house on the way home. I could drop it off for you!"

In addition to the presentations, the best part of NEAF is talking to all of the makers of the more exotic stuff, and getting to see sizes, etc, on other stuff..... not to mention seeing old friends, in my case, from as far as Europe.

#18 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

New Moon Telescope @NEAF 14: http://youtu.be/U-nyhSanwus

Ryan is awesome.

#19 Bassist

Bassist

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

Are there a lot of astronomy media for sale here at the North East Astronomy Forum? I'm thinking about things like books, star charts, planispheres, almanacs and such.

#20 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Are there a lot of astronomy media for sale here at the North East Astronomy Forum? I'm thinking about things like books, star charts, planispheres, almanacs and such.

willman bell has always had all their books out on tables to buy.

#21 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Thinking over my new equipment purchases over the last 6 years of so, I think 95% or more was purchased at NEAF (although I buy used more than new). The discounts are too good, and the chance to talk to the makers is too good, to pass up. Avoiding shipping (and related damage), waiting time, sales tax, are all a plus - and - I can take the item out of the box and make sure it works before walking off with it, ask for pointers on how it works, etc.

For example: when people were posting here on CN about being on a waiting list for one new optical component for bino-viewing, I asked about them at their booth. They did not have one on display. Soon, pulled from under the bench, came one in a box - which I bought for about a third off the price. I purchased one of iOptron's display mounts, we checked it to make sure it worked, and they even packed it up and carried it to my truck! When I bought a MoonLight focuser, they helped me install it on my ATM 6" Newt. Last year the vendors got in a pricing war on eyepieces, and a friend of mine bought an Ethos 17mm from one 'desperate dealer' for what was claimed to be the dealers price..... I think it was 30% off the usual price. I sat at the break table with the designer of TV's Paracoor II - and got the full scoop on how it performs. At the imaging conference I had a discussion with my friend who owns Optical Guidance Systems (and was hawking a used 14" RC), asking him his opinion of the Celestron C-14Edge. As it turns out, he had tested one (in the OGS shop) before shipping it to a customer in Russia; bottom line "It has some color, unlike our RC's, but it's a good telescope.". My biggest mistake: not taking RyanG (owner of New Moon Telescopes) up on his offer to sell me his personal 27" Dob he had on display. He even noted "I'm driving right past your house on the way home. I could drop it off for you!"

In addition to the presentations, the best part of NEAF is talking to all of the makers of the more exotic stuff, and getting to see sizes, etc, on other stuff..... not to mention seeing old friends, in my case, from as far as Europe.

And let's not forget the Solar Star Party.   The last 3 years that I've attended have had at least one clear day for solar viewing.

#22 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

willman bell has always had all their books out on tables to buy.

There are a number of vendors selling books and sky maps, with a large selection. One had all the old issues of Amateur Astronomy Magazine, and other older books.

Sky & Tel had all of their publications, books, sky maps, etc. - plus a free copy of the latest issue.

Free magazines from Astronomy, Astronomy Tech Today (discount subscriptions available) and Astronomy Now (Brit magazine).

Cambridge University Press was there, with all of their astro books - selling at a discount. I got an additional half off on a book that they had slightly cut opening up their shipping box.

As mentioned above, Willman-Bell was there with all of their books for sale. A few years ago I purchased a copy of the 2nd edition of Uranometria 2000 and the Uranometria Deep Sky Field Guide. One of the authors, Wil Tirion was in their booth and signed all 3 volumes for me, and inscribed a personal note for me!

While Bisque was there, for the past 2 (or so) years they have not been selling boxed copies of their software - just demo'ing it.

Knightware was selling deeply discounted copies of Deep Sky Planner 6 (which I purchased last year).

A number of the major vendors (like OPT) had boxed software for sale.

Of course you will have to check with the NEAF website to see the list of vendors for 2015 - unfortunately, last year, they never provided the list until something like a week before the event. However, just about everyone from the prior year was there.

If you want a specific item from any vendor, give them a call at least a week in advance, and they will probably bring what you want, and set it aside with your name on it. I've done this for a few items in the past and it worked out just fine.

#23 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

And let's not forget the Solar Star Party.   The last 3 years that I've attended have had at least one clear day for solar viewing.

I'm sure it will carry on without him, but the Solar Star Party will just not be the same without Barlow Bob.

I always tell my friends that if they can only go one day, try to pick the one with clear skies for the solar star party (we live close enough to do NEAF as a day trip).

#24 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:06 AM

the NEAF Solar Party is awesome

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZCfEaiyTW5M

https://www.youtube....h?v=d5GegVFtqPw

#25 Denni C

Denni C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

For all you Losmandy/Gemini users:

I am planning to have at NEAF 2015 an ad-hoc birds-of-a-feather get together of Losmandy/Gemini users to share questions, ideas, etc. - if there is enough interest. I am thinking of maybe getting a breakout room at the Crowne Plaza.  I have posted this same invite on the Losmandy and Gemini Yahoo User groups. If anyone is interested, please send me a personal email to: dennis_conti@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Dennis

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics