•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk Broadband Coatings and other Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:32 PM

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is of the broadband multicoating that is being applied to the Obie 15x70 and 20x80 Std binocs? Is this a good idea or not? What does it really buy you and does it effect daytime viewing?

Would the 20x80s give me a proportional bang-for-the-buck increase in viewing pleasure than the 15x70s? ($150 vs $230)

And finally, would these bincos be usable on a monopod?

Hey, I made it this far....down to 2 binocs!

Thanks, Tom

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:44 PM

I think the coatings make them significantly better than the other chinese binoculars available and worth the extra cost. I prefere the wider field of view offered by the 15x70, but I would expect the 20x80 to be the best 'bang-for-the-buck'. I would expect you to be able to use both with a monopod, although it will work best with the lower power pair, and I'm not sure of the exact performance you'll get out of them this way.

#3 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:46 PM

Tom,

I ask Kevin B about the benefits of broadband multi coating vs. FMC on the yahoo binoastronomy forum last year. Can't find his reply now. I recall Kevin said the improvement in transmission for each surface is only 0.5-1%. However, if you consider all 10-12 surfaces together they MAY add up to 5% improvement. I don't think you will see a difference in day light viewing at all.

I am sure you are aware of some of the shipping damages sustained by Oberwerk 20X80 S recently and will take that into consideration. Put the durability issue aside for a moment your 2nd question is easy to answer:

Go for the 20X80 instead of 15X70. Most people will want to use a mount for with 15X binos anyway. Might as well enjoy 33% higher power and 30% more light collecting area. In view of the problem reported with the 20X80 S model recently you may want to condsider the LW. This model is several inches shorter, lighter and may be a bit easier to keep in collimation. I have had my 20X80 LW for a year. They are my most used binos period. (I have ~8, can't keep track)

I can handhold the LW with my elbows braced for short viewing sessions. Use them occassionaly on a camping mattress. Don't have experience with monopods. I don't go hiking with my astro binos so if I am taking the trouble to mount them I would rather use a tripod. That way I can take my hands off to check star charts. You can't do side-by-side comparison of binos with monopods either.

I like fluid heads with Quick Release plates. I bought several spare QR plates and L tripod adapters for three of my binos. When I dismount my bino from the tripod I leave the QR plates attached. That way I can switch binos in the dark in 30 seconds. Don't have to worry about stripping 1/4-20 mounting threads either. Works for my 80mmF5 refractor too.

Erik D

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:23 PM

Hi Erik, I have noticed the recent 20x80 casualties that have been occuring and hope that Kevin is looking into it further...even if does turn out to be nothing more than an anomoly.

Is the difference between the std and the LW just weight and focal length? Will there be more CA with the LW binocs? Should I worry about it?

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll start with a monopod and if it turns out that I want a more stable platform, I'll go for a more substantial mount.

#5 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:21 AM

After reading about the 1/8" plastic used on the 20x80s (is this true on the Std and the LW?), I am afraid to get these 20x80s...I guess the price is too good to be true... :(

I hope the 15x70s aren't the same. IT seems that every time I get ready to buy anything from Oberwerks...something causes me to stop.

Are the 20x90s metal or plastic? Are they stronger and better designed?

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:57 PM

There is a difference in the focal length, the standards being longer have a slower f#. Better for chromatic aberration.

For a complete rundown on coatings see this post in the "Best Of Binoculars" thread posted at the top of the forum.
Coatings

This discussion on 20 x 80 standards is taking place in two places at once. see my comments in the other thread " A little help".

These barrels are long. These could probably benefit from a bar hinge at the objective. But what affect do the long barrels have. Read my comments in this other thread.

Oberwerk 20x80 Standards

edz

#7 Diego

Diego

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:28 AM

Hello Tom. I understand your concern. It looks like to me the 20x80 & 15x70 all share the same barrels, being that the bigger ones have extensions for the larger objective. Quite honestly they seemed pretty week to me from the first time I saw them. All I can say about the build quality 20x90 is that they are strong all metal (aluminum) construction and rubber armored. Very heavy though and I'm not sure if a monopod will work with these.
Good Luck with your selection,

Diego

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics