•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Why price increase in Celestron 8 GPS??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:01 PM

My goal is to buy Celestron 8 GPS at around $1500, which is a long way to go. But I am very patient. I went through astronomy and sky and telescope magazine since 2001 when Celestron and Meade introduced GPS on these telescopes. Celestron 8 GPS was priced at about 2499 dollars. In Nov. 2002, they cut these prices by $500. Now, Celestron is raising the price by 150 dollars. I was wondering what is causing the price increase which I saw the ad in April 2004 issue of Sky and Telescope. It also say that Nexremote is free when you buy Nexstar telescopes. I don't think that there are enough demand to buy Celestron 8 GPS. I could be wrong.
Can you predict when will these pricy telescope will fall in $1000 to $1500 dollars range???

#2 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

One word...never (except used maybe). The price drop was due to competition with Meade and the lower prices were hurting both companies. Now they are starting to inch their prices up (again, both companies) to try and make some money again. The inclusion of NexRemote just makes the necessary price increase more "palatable".

Even at the higher price, these scopes are a bargain.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:24 PM

theres one on astromart for 1600 right now.

#4 humbleservant888

humbleservant888

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:37 PM

Hmmm maybe the US government needs the GPS to target the enemies in Iraq. Supply and demand. hahahaha

#5 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:40 PM

One word...never (except used maybe). The price drop was due to competition with Meade and the lower prices were hurting both companies. Now they are starting to inch their prices up (again, both companies) to try and make some money again. The inclusion of NexRemote just makes the necessary price increase more "palatable".

Even at the higher price, these scopes are a bargain.

Clear skies,
Jeff

We will look back at the scope wars between Meade and Celestron and their lowering the prices as the good old days. I am sorry Celestron won that lawsuit. I needed to purchase a APO scope cheap lol. Now I am sorry to say I hesitated and lost :foreheadslap:

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:57 PM

"Can you predict when will these pricy telescope will fall in $1000 to $1500 dollars range???"

Yup - never. They are like many other instruments; every few years they add some features or functionality for the same price. The $2000 price is the result of a price war; that model was $2500 when released but Meade dropped their competing model. Now that Meade has upped their prices, Celestron can follow.

$1500 used to buy the plain-Jane single-fork Nexstar 8; at $2000 the Nexstar 8GPS is a better deal by a very wide margin.

On the other hand, here you go:
http://www.astromart....asp?cid=252863

#7 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:10 AM

OK, I'm confused. WHat does an APO have to do with the price war? Neither Meade nor Celestron produce an APO (and don't try and convince me the the Meade ED series are true APO's) ;)

Clear skies,
Jeff

#8 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

Because Jeff, I had a option of purchasing a Meade APO or the NS11GPS. And you can see what I went with. I should have then purchased the Meade 127ED shortly after but I waited too long in selling the LX200GPS. didnt Meade raise their prices on most of their scopes? I had finally sold the LX200GPS 10" and that wasnt until January 2004 and prices have all gone up. Now that I have the extra cash available for a APO I have since reconsidered going with Meade and leaning more to a TV. What I am planning is two things. Use the APO at home from my patio for local viewing and attaching it to the NS11GPS when going out into the field. I can view with one scope while CCD'n with the other. There is a method to my madness here Jeff. One complete observatory unit with all the trimmings ;)

#9 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

One final thought here. If I did purchase a Meade refractor and attached it to the NS11GPS, I wonder what both co.s reaction would be? Void my warranty? :question:.... :lol:

#10 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:41 PM

Hi Mike,

That is a great idea (hmmm...similar situation here) ;) But I would argue that it was in your best interest that the Meade prices went up since you will now end up with a true APO vice what Meade passes off as an APO ;) Plus the price increase should have increased the value of your used scope (albeit only slightly). I think in the end you will be MUCH happier with the TV or other APO vice the Meade.

Speaking of APO's to put on top of your N11, have you given much thought to a BORG? I've heard nothing but great reviews of them and they are MUCH lighter and therefore will be less taxing when mounted on top of your N11. Just a thought. I currently use a Megrez 80 (I know, not an APO) as my wide field scope on top, but I am seriously considering a BORG replacement due to it being almost 2 lbs lighter and the nice flexibility of interchangeable objectives.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#11 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:43 PM

LOL! Well there are plenty of folks putting wedges on Meade GFT's for the N11 so you would be in good company ;)

Jeff

#12 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

P.S. You'll notice mine sits on a modified G-11 tripod...I just couldn't bring myself to put my N11 on a Meade product ;)

Cheers,
Jeff

#13 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:20 PM

Hi Mike,

Speaking of APO's to put on top of your N11, have you given much thought to a BORG? I've heard nothing but great reviews of them and they are MUCH lighter and therefore will be less taxing when mounted on top of your N11. Just a thought. I currently use a Megrez 80 (I know, not an APO) as my wide field scope on top, but I am seriously considering a BORG replacement due to it being almost 2 lbs lighter and the nice flexibility of interchangeable objectives.

Clear skies,
Jeff

BORG? Didnt he play tennis? Just kiddin. What BORG scope model are you referring to? Give me details here Jeff! is that a 80mm? Specs! I need Specs! lol. Is is less expensive than TV? (I'm told everything is less expensive than TV :lol:) I am open to your suggestion.

#14 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:22 PM

My goal is to buy Celestron 8 GPS at around $1500, which is a long way to go. But I am very patient. I went through astronomy and sky and telescope magazine since 2001 when Celestron and Meade introduced GPS on these telescopes. Celestron 8 GPS was priced at about 2499 dollars. In Nov. 2002, they cut these prices by $500. Now, Celestron is raising the price by 150 dollars. I was wondering what is causing the price increase which I saw the ad in April 2004 issue of Sky and Telescope. It also say that Nexremote is free when you buy Nexstar telescopes. I don't think that there are enough demand to buy Celestron 8 GPS. I could be wrong.
Can you predict when will these pricy telescope will fall in $1000 to $1500 dollars range???

They will drop alot when the newer scopes come out. Meade kept the LX200 line the same for 10 years... so you got a long time to wait. What you might do is look for a older LX200 or Ultima2000. They can be bought for 1000-1500 depending on accessories and the such...

Something else to consider. If you get N8GPS without XLT coatings you may have a harder time reselling the scope in the years to come... I only say that because the ads referenced on astromart don't mention if the scopes have the extra coatings...

#15 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:00 PM

Here, try this link:

http://www.sciencece...utech/index.htm

You can read some reviews of the line on the main Cloudy Nights review site.

They are a modular design and several objectives can be had for the single 80mm tubeset. There is both a 76mm APO and 102mm (I think, or 101mm) APO set as well as 77m, and 102mm Achro sets.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#16 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

Here, try this link:

http://www.sciencece...utech/index.htm

You can read some reviews of the line on the main Cloudy Nights review site.

They are a modular design and several objectives can be had for the single 80mm tubeset. There is both a 76mm APO and 102mm (I think, or 101mm) APO set as well as 77m, and 102mm Achro sets.

Clear skies,
Jeff

Hi Jeff: I checked the link and the memory cells kicked in.
looks interesting. will research some more on this product

#17 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:57 PM

Spaceman, this might be the closest you will come for a brand new scope. This scope is on EBay. I bought one of them last week. The scopes are brand new. The guy is a dealer in MD. Full warranty, cheap shipping, lens kit for $99. All for $1,819.00. This is "with" XLT coatings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1&category=3636

#18 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:00 AM

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. He told me he generally does not sell them on EBay but is overstocked right now and has to clear them for the new model that has the price increase. The only feedback he has is for the one I bought. He recently changed his EBay name. The old name he used is supposed to have no negative feedback also.

#19 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

You did receive the scope already, yes? The reason I ask is that there have been a number of frauds on Ebay with similar circumstances as what you are describing...

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.NexStarSite.com

#20 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:29 AM

Hello Mike. Yes, the scope arrived in the factory new box in perfect condition. Didn't read the instructions (typical male according to wife), set it up outside, cut it on and wow, it went to work. Frankly I was skeptical of what others said here about the XLT and UHTC coatings effectivly adding aperture when compared to standard coatings. It is true. This little scope outshines my bigger ones in every key area. It's lighter, easier to use (effortless), not bright but brilliant views, tack sharp and just a pleasure to have. I now see why the C11 and C9 guys are so pleased.

What I did do was ask, then insist on paying with a Visa or Mastercard. This way you can get the card company to resolve an issue or withold payment on a fradulant transaction. PayPal may have some of this protection but they just don't seem too friendly. In this case PayPal would not let me charge the item, insisting on deducting the funds from my bank account. Forget that. Cheaperscopes let me pay for it any way I preferred.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics