•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimating a C5?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheRCMan

TheRCMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:10 PM

Hey Everyone!

I read the instructions for collimating this scope but it has not been clear outside with the snow fall. So using polaris is not an option. I was thinking about mocking up a star by pearcing a hole into some black construction paper and placing a small light source on the other side. Has anyone done to collimate their scope?

Thanks!

#2 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

Greg,

I haven't used one, but there's a good link to building one here.

#3 StarsAbove

StarsAbove

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

I did it once but I used tinfoil instead of paper. It makes a good clean hole. The paper would leave a fuzzy edge around the artificial star defeating a good "star" image. Use a pin to just nick the smallest possible hole. You will also need a lot of distance between your scope and the light source, as I recall it was over 20 feet.

#4 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

A set of Bob's Knobs are a worthwhile investment...install them before you collimate.

#5 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:52 PM

When I collimate my C5, I like to use an ornament off the Christmas tree, a shiny globe, to reflect the image of the light source. This reduces the visual size of the pinhole. I also like to use a red LED behind the pinhole. This gives me a monochromatic light source so the diffraction rings are easier to see.

#6 TheRCMan

TheRCMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

Darrell,

Great link thanks!

Dave,

Thanks! I can always use the garage....

Rusty,

Can't you get the same thumb screws at Lowes?

JMP,

The red LED sounds like a good idea!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics