•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone use old Canon FD lenses?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fullerton, CA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've tried searching the forums for I'm for information on this subject. A hard search indeed. 

Most of what I've found has been on converting these lenses, but what I'm after is results from use.

How many people just slap them on (with appropriate adapter) and start shooting? 

What are your experiences? How much of a disadvantage is the extra element in the adapter to you?

And on the conversion side: Is there an Ed Mika conversion available for straight FD mount? In only see ones for FDn mount.

I love my 200mm f/2.8 FD S.S.C. and hope there is a conversion for it if I am losing image quality from my current adapter. I was given a whole case of FD mount lenses for free, so cost of conversion seems cheaper than replacing with modern EOS mount lenses.

Show me your results, and share your experiences...if any...

Edited by WordUpJackson, 01 October 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#2 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I feel like a lone soldier who still uses FD mount lenses.  :grin:

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

The Sony A7 series camera can use Canon FD mount lenses via an adapter, since the flange to sensor distance in the A7 is very short.

• charotarguy likes this

#4 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

My understanding is that FD lenses cannot be properly adapted to the EOS platform without some optical intervention.  

The flange-to-focal distance for FD lenses is 42mm.  

For EF lenses (i.e. EOS platform), the distance is 44 mm.  

Thus, an FD lens on an EOS camera would never come to infinity focus without additional optics.  Adapters to do so exist, but they intruduce aberrations, modify the characteristics of the lens, and seem to generally produce mediocre results.

FD lenses are more popular to adapt to mirrorless cameras with much shorter flange-to-focal plane spacing.  With those cameras, a simple mechanical adapter with the proper spacing preserves infinity focus.

#5 tazer

tazer

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Pitts (NC)

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

I use some Canon FD lenses with my Sony NEX-5. What I've found is that they're somewhat soft wide open and have lots of chromatic aberration. Usually I stop them down quite a bit. While this helps with sharpness and CA, the non-round iris does introduce diffraction spikes which may or may not be desirable. This is a stack of 57 90s exposures of Orion taken with the classic Canon FD 50mm (early 80's version):

get.jpg

Not spectacular, but with longer exposures at a darker site it wouldn't be too shabby.

• Greg Campbell likes this

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

The optically corrected FD --> EF body (eBay) adapter has a doublet in it serving as barlow to achieve infinity focus.

The quality is poor and not worth it (ruins the reputation of any good SSD or L lenses.)

In a word, forgettaboutit for astro.  Daylight photography, may be okayish.

Now without that lousy modifier lens....

BTW in the past I specially modified a 400mm SSD lens to make it fit on an EF body to achieve inifity focus.

But it also has the strong CA problem.  In another word, let it pass.

I might have a CN thread on such mod, it will be a very old thread.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 01 October 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#7 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

Dang, I thought my results were at least better than "mediocre"

I do most of my AP with a Kiss x2 (450D) and my 200mm f/2.8 FD on a CG-5 with clock drives. I thought the images were pretty OK. 

Does anyone have any images taken with these lenses besides me?

#8 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

This is why mirrorless digital cameras were invented!  Without that flip mirror, the camera body can be much shallower, allowing for adapters to take good old glass from our favorite SLRs of yesteryear (available at bargain prices at flea markets and elsewhere).  I have a Canon T1i and find that the stock zoom lenses (the one that came with the kid and the 55-200 that I bought later), are awful for wide-field astrophotography - the best focus isn't even in the center of the field.  I have several old Konica Hexanon lenses as well.  Some that I had with my SLR, and several that I bought in the last year or so to work with my Panasonic mirrorless camera.  A couple of these - a 135mm f/2.8 and a 200mm (forget the focal length, but probably 3.5 or so), are wonderful for astrophotography.  

I'd also have to use one of these barlowed adapters to put my Konicas on the T1i, because of the deep Canon body.  So far, I only use the Canon with a telescope adapter, and the Panasonic for telephoto work.  But it would be nice if I could do both with one camera, and even nicer if it could be run using BYEOS.

-Tim.

#9 gdd

gdd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Dang, I thought my results were at least better than "mediocre"

I do most of my AP with a Kiss x2 (450D) and my 200mm f/2.8 FD on a CG-5 with clock drives. I thought the images were pretty OK. 

Does anyone have any images taken with these lenses besides me?

I think most people have not tried FD lenses with EOS cameras because of the warnings of poor quality EOS/FD adapters. I think your shots are on par with ones I took with my Pentax style M42 screw mount lenses on my EOS camera. The EOS/M42 adapter requires no optics, but the old generic lenses I use have CA and also abberations that show up in the corners of images. A big advantage of the newer lenses, especially the better ones, is the UD elements to control CA.

If you are lucky enough to have a Canon made EOS/FD adapter, I heard those are quite good.

Gale

Edited by gdd, 03 October 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#10 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, I've read the Canon brand adapters are real nice...and expensive...and rare 

I guess all that matters right now is ME liking my images.  

Not a bad haul of glass for less than $70

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-09-29 17.56.40.jpg

#11 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

https://www.sbig.com...0-lens-adapter/ can be used to adapt FD lenses to an 8300 chip SBIG camera. My understanding is that these work great. I don't know if your question was about using them for AP directly on an EOS camera or not. One member of our club (SDAA) showed stunning images taken with old Nikon lenses and I don't know why the Canons on that time would be much worse. He used them on a CCD camera, not on a DSLR mounted on a tripor or pier but rather piggybacked on a scope. If you decide not to keep them, PM me and I might pick them up from you as I have a nice OSC CCD camera they'd be perfect for.

Rgrds-Ross

#12 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Ed Mika mount system, does work, unfortunately I currently do not have any star shots to show you. A friend has done one to a 15 mm FDn lens but job and weather has limited his use of the lens for the time being.

I too have the 200 and the 85 1.2 as well. I just have not converted these as of yet. I hope to contact Ed about these lenses over the winter.

You should contact Ed directly.

Pierre

• Darren Bly and WordUpJackson like this

#13 andysea

andysea

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

I might be wrong but those lenses were designed for film imaging which is a lot more forgiving of aberrations than digital sensors with their insanely small pixels. 

#14 strawpanda

strawpanda

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

I use a lot of Canon FD lenses converted for EOS. The man you need is Eddie Houston, aka the Lens Doctor, in Scotland. See http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/ He can convert most FD lenses, he also makes high-grade converters.

#15 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:48 PM

Any astro images to share showing the effect of FD converted lens?

#16 MikeK5117

MikeK5117

Explorer 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Kansas

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

I have a whole herd of FDn lenses that I bought over 20 plus years when I was shooting film. They got to be worth almost nothing so I kept them, now with mirrorless camera bodies they are up in value again but now I have a good use so still keeping them.

I use them mostly on Olympus m 4/3 bodies with a plain (no lens) adapter. They perform very well, pretty much all of them are good examples of the FDn lineup.

I am just getting into astrophotography so total noob at capturing and processing, but here is a shot of Andromeda I took a few months ago with my FDn 300mm f4.0 with the Olympus body.

16804146_10153811902329649_8029652157248222437_o.jpg

Sorry for all the star bloat and poor colors this was one of my first attempts at stacking and processing.

Was unguided on a CGEM mount.

For the time being, I intend for my Canon lenses to be my main wide field setup, intending to add a guide camera sometime soon to hopefully improve the capture quality.

I also did get a couple of Ed Mika adapters for these when I was playing around with cinematography, they work well on the shorter lenses but the tele do require that you mess with the internals of the focus helix so I stayed away from them. Finally had the adapters removed and everything back to FDn mount now.

FYI, one of the local camera repairs is a quite old, but very respected repairman who gets lots of high end cine lenses and the such from all over the country. I had him work on some of my FDn's, clean the diaphragms etc and he said in his opinion, the old FD/FDn lenses were some of the best ever made, both optically and mechanically. 

#17 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

There are a few Fluorite FD lenses which might do well wide open, for the most part as others have said, you will need a mirror less camera body or a ccd to achieve proper flange distance required to reach infinity focus.  

#18 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

With a stable of good quality FD lenses it makes a lot of sense to find a good used M4/3 camera body and start shooting.  1st gen Olympus Pen and Panasonic bodies can be found for $100-$200 and make a fine data capture device with quiet CMOS sensor. Because the image at focus is larger than the sensor you effectively eliminate a lot of lens errors at the edges.  This is a very low cost way to get good wide field shots and learn the ropes without dumping $10k on an imaging system with modern lenses.

• MikeK5117 likes this

#19 WordUpJackson

WordUpJackson

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

Any astro images to share showing the effect of FD converted lens?

Actually, I just looked, and my images are the only that come up when searching Astrobin. Haha!

Go figure, I must be barking up the wrong tree I guess... These were all done about 2 or more years ago. I was still climbing the AP learning curve.

http://www.astrobin....canon-200mm-fd/

• ccs_hello and Lumix.guy like this

#20 MingH

MingH

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

Actually, I just looked, and my images are the only that come up when searching Astrobin. Haha!

Go figure, I must be barking up the wrong tree I guess... These were all done about 2 or more years ago. I was still climbing the AP learning curve.

http://www.astrobin....canon-200mm-fd/

Would you mind sharing which adapter you used for mounting the 200mm F/2.8 FD lens on your Canon EOS 450D? I'm in the process of acquiring a Canon 400mm F/4.5 FD lens and would like to know how to mount it on a Canon 7D for astrophotography.  Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics