•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What do people see in Schmidt-Cassegrains?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
219 replies to this topic

#201 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

"Transportable Observatory"

The sure had a good sense of humor back in the day, didn't they?  

That's right up there with "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence".  :grin:

Regards,

Jim

#202 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Ed, I have a dew shield and a heater and they work well. Problem is getting them on before the lens is soaked in dew!

Yes, the car is a Caterham 7, the successor to the Lotus 7. You can see more of it and other cars I have had at http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/100.html That picture was taken after we had rebuilt it with a new chassis after an accident. It's all recorded on the web site.

Thanks - I thought it was a Caterham :)

Wow, your dew problem is that bad! I'm spoiled with a rather dry climate here in California. If I were ever to take my C8 back to the UK, I can just imagine the problems.

This is something that is overlooked - different telescopes, for all sorts of reasons, are more manageable in different regions - at least to some extent. Dew control, susceptibility to thermal change, seeing - these all inform what we get out of an instrument, or the lengths to which we are prepared to go with accessories.

#203 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

Vendor (The French Astronomy Company)

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Well I worked for Military intelligence, and have a jumbo shrimp in my freezer so my transportable observatory will be OK. :) 

#204 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Ed, we're in France. Some nights the dew is so bad that water is running off everything, especially the lens and glass table by the telescope. My feet get soaked just walking across the grass. If I get the dew shield and heater on quickly enough it's OK but if I get delayed I have to wipe the lens which is something I try and avoid. It will be OK when the shed arrives as I'll get the heater on a few hours before dark. The inside of the shed will be insulated and (mildly) heated. 

#205 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

Ed, I have a dew shield and a heater and they work well. Problem is getting them on before the lens is soaked in dew!

Yes, the car is a Caterham 7, the successor to the Lotus 7. You can see more of it and other cars I have had at http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/100.html That picture was taken after we had rebuilt it with a new chassis after an accident. It's all recorded on the web site.

Thanks - I thought it was a Caterham :)

Wow, your dew problem is that bad! I'm spoiled with a rather dry climate here in California. If I were ever to take my C8 back to the UK, I can just imagine the problems.

This is something that is overlooked - different telescopes, for all sorts of reasons, are more manageable in different regions - at least to some extent. Dew control, susceptibility to thermal change, seeing - these all inform what we get out of an instrument, or the lengths to which we are prepared to go with accessories.

I'm not the only Seven here!! Mine is a homebuilt with a "book" frame and Volvo drivetrain.

#206 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

Bremms, is yours a Wesfield?

#207 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Wow, I am lucky regarding dew!

Seriously lusting after a Seven now :) It'd be a nice modern complement to the stock MGB. The latter drives rather well now the steering is collimated. Nice to see a few other car folks here :)

As for telescopes, I haven't seen anything in my SCT for ages, and it's time I got out there again. Time and energy have both been short, despite what Heisenberg said. I have to test the long term stability of my C8 secondary holder mod, to see if its, err, well, stable... if not, back to the drawing board.  I'm looking forward to some clear Autumn skies.

Ed

#208 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Ed, I served my apprenticeship at a company called University Motors, the first MG dealer back in the 20's. I was (and still am) an MG enthusiast. I just sold my Midget as I can't get in and out with my damaged vertebrae.

I've now reduced from 7 cars to 5 and will probably stick at that. Mind you one is really scrap and another is only used once a year to take the rubbish to the tip. 

#209 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

ummmm..the Moon, the stars and some planets.

And some clusters, galaxies, nebulae...

#210 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

"Transportable Observatory"

The sure had a good sense of humor back in the day, didn't they?  

That's right up there with "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence".   :grin:

Regards,

Jim

Indeed.  I have "transported" it twice since buying it a couple years back.  First time, I put it in the back of my VW pickup.  Plenty of room and a clear overhead is a must.  An engine hoist comes in really handy as well.  I don't plan on transporting it again any time soon.  I'm happy just rolling it in and out of the garage!

post-6788-14073919076626_thumb.jpg

post-6788-14073919560595_thumb.jpg

post-6788-14073919564962_thumb.jpg

And with my new ladder, it's really comfy to observe with.

post-6788-0-60402600-1408253077_thumb.jp

Takes awesome pictures, too:

post-6788-14074265149257_thumb.jpg

-Tim.

#211 shawnhar

shawnhar

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

The answer to the original question is the SCT is the Toyota Corolla of telescope designs.

Can you get a bigger one, a faster one, a cheaper one? Yes, of course you can. Are you going to? Odds are...no.

#212 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

But I'd prefer the Ferrari model :)

#213 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

Portability.

In 1989  I was ready to "move up" to an 8in aperture telescope so I considered the SCT.

A member in our club had just purchased the Celestron SPC8 and not only did it give great images but it easily fit in my 1985 Honda Accord

and I still had room in the car for two more passengers ...

#214 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Frank, I doubt ours will ever leave our place.

#215 mikegro

mikegro

Mariner 2

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

My 8" SCT was my second "real" telescope purchase after my 10" dob.  What I see in it; or the reasons I purchased it and have kept it:  It's obviously more portable than the dob and still pulls in great views of most DSOs.  It's my planetary imaging platform as well (SCTs seem to perform quite well for that application), although I'm primarily a visual observer.  It's really the most well-rounded scope in my stable and I was able to find it for a bargain price (Meade Outlet eBay deal about 10 yrs. ago...LXD55 clearance...~$600 for the OTA IIRC).  Fairly portable too.  The only downsides are the ones everyone talks about but they usually don't bother me too much.  Collimation is rarely an issue and cool-down is no big deal.  It's usually a rare night to bother setting everything up although now that I have the Twilight II mount I've found that even the SCT works fairly well with it.  All things considered, my refractors are getting the lions share of my observing time but the SCT has proven that it's capable of putting up better views if the seeing permits (which isn't terribly common).  The dob gets the least time but that's probably because I have to lug it up from my basement...so the SCT and refractors usually win out there.  :)

My Orion ED80 was a "game changer" and while the views are not as bright as the SCT or dob the extreme portability, near-zero maintenance, and high image quality seem to win me over and I find it goes outside more often than the others.  Recently I've been using the SCT and dob more often, but that's mainly to compare it to my new 6" ES AR152 refractor (if you haven't seen the double cluster with an AR152...find one).  :-) I think the ED80 is still my "favorite" overall (there's something perfectly magical about that OTA in all its various forms...SWP 80ED, Celestron 80ED, Orion ED80, etc.).  I could easily see myself selling the 8" SCT and purchasing a slightly larger one (9.25" or 11")...especially after seeing the images people are making with them!  That said, I also want a 5" APO refractor to round out my collection (especially if I get a bigger SCT for planetary imaging I'll want a better "all-around" portable scope)!

This thread was a good read - sometimes strayed into strange territory but overall it helps give me a reality check with my experiences since I've owned a sample of each major telescope design.  I think each design has its merits, but I think that everyone should own an 8" SCT at some point...it's really the benchmark by which all other scopes are judged, IMO, since it does everything really well all things considered.

-Mike

#216 frenchblatter

frenchblatter

• -----
  • Restricted Vendors

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

Mike, that's an interesting and qualified observation, something I cannot do as I have no experience whatsoever and haven't really used my 8" SCT fully yet.

Thanks.

#217 OrlandoMatt

OrlandoMatt

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Personally I prefer SCT's because it drives the ladies wild.  Nothing more impressive then a box on sticks ;)

#218 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Personally I prefer SCT's because it drives the ladies wild.  Nothing more impressive then a box on sticks ;)

There's a "focal length" joke to be made here, but I'm too dignified to make it... :angel:

#219 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

If I had to nail down the C6 sct attraction to me it's essentially, high potency views at an unbelievably low price with an incredibly accurate goto. It's one success piled on another.   

These naysayers need to do a little more sct observing with a very real idea of the trade offs involved in other observing systems. 

It's almost like trying to defend the name of a good pwoman... granted, a woman with a central obstruction :0. 

Pete

#220 jzeiders

jzeiders

Viking 1

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

What do people see in SCTs? Stars, planets, nebulas, galaxies, stc. Pretty much the same stuff one can see in other types of telescopes.

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics