•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Early Fall sky & Tasco 20TE

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: springfield ne.

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

"(Of course, if I had my own 20TE, I wouldn't have to speculate.)" What's this another miserable attempt at cloaking a request or order to go measure? :foreheadslap:  Here you go. Visualize a right triangle....OK?  Leg a is 7" and leg b is 17". If you want the hypotenuse you figger it out I'm outta' here for supper! :lol:  Later. Mike

#52 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Now you folks with the 6345's and 6336's don't knock over the coffee tables and lamps racing to the other room.

Actually Mike, my 6336 is on my left as I sit at the computer, and within arm's reach.  IF I had a 20TE, it would sit on right, with easy admiring distance!  But go ahead, and rub it in!

I'm interested in the mounts because I see that SYW put a 6" Cassegrain on a GEM similar to the 20TE.  IF the Tinsley project works, the odds of my finding a matching GEM & pedestal are low, so the wheels in my head are turning... a bit creaky, but nothing a Warsteiner or two can't smooth out!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 05 October 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#53 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

Isn't there a fairly hefty Jaeger's mount with 1" steel shafts and a tall pedestal available? I seem to remember seeing one for sale within the past week.

• steve t likes this

#54 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Here ya go JW, maybe this will work for you?

http://www.cloudynig...drive-and-pier/

• Bomber Bob likes this

#55 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Terra!  Yeah, I saw it.  In fact, it's almost identical to the one I had about 30 years ago.  I'll have to see how heavy the Tinsley OTA is, because that pedestal is too thin for its height - IME.

#56 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Now you folks with the 6345's and 6336's don't knock over the coffee tables and lamps racing to the other room.

Actually Mike, my 6336 is on my left as I sit at the computer, and within arm's reach.  IF I had a 20TE, it would sit on right, with easy admiring distance!  But go ahead, and rub it in!

I'm interested in the mounts because I see that SYW put a 6" Cassegrain on a GEM similar to the 20TE.  IF the Tinsley project works, the odds of my finding a matching GEM & pedestal are low, so the wheels in my head are turning... a bit creaky, but nothing a Warsteiner or two can't smooth out!

Hmmm, I happen to know that with 6345's and 6336's and all things great and small in between there is no chance of knocking over furniture and lighting... The coffee tables and floor lamps are long gone. :lol:  

#57 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

Congratulations Albert! Good for you!!

#58 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hello Albert,

all I can do, is this !

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:                              

#59 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

Thanks fellas.

I'm looking forward to getting it out on the patio again.

It's been a real blast getting to know this telescope. I've had many scopes like most of us but this 20TE, there's just something about it - I can't take my eyes (and hands) off the darn thing :drool5: :hmm: :love: :what: .

#60 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks fellas.

I'm looking forward to getting it out on the patio again.

It's been a real blast getting to know this telescope. I've had many scopes like most of us but this 20TE, there's just something about it - I can't take my eyes (and hands) off the darn thing :drool5: :hmm: :love: :what: .

There's probably a local ordnance against such things. Might want to check.

Edited by Don Taylor, 15 October 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#61 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Stunningly beautiful instrument.  

A real classic.

#62 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Finally got around to bringing this scope back to it's original configuration.  It's a heck of a lot easier to assemble myself in 10 minutes and more pleasant to use without all the extras that the original owner added.  It looked cool but it was a little awkward.  This past winter the mount got a complete overhaul.  This thing is smooooth.

Images of Jupiter and Saturn the other night were a little disappointing until I realized the objective was being pinched. Forgot I had tightened the retaining rings slightly when the scope was at NEAF in April. Loosened the retaining rings and WOW - Fantastic! I went to bed happy jump.gif . The slightest pressure on the objective threw the whole thing out-a-wack.

Before -

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.JPG

• CharlieB, Stellarfire, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#63 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:50 AM

After -

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN9228.JPG
  • DSCN9217.JPG

• Stellarfire, Terra Nova, mitsos68 and 4 others like this

#64 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Now, what to do with all those holes smirk.gif

• Terra Nova likes this

#65 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Albert,

Glad you decided to keep it!  Looks great.

Al

#66 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

Thanks Al.

Yep, still here and will be one of my most used scopes until further notice cool.gif . What a sweet image at the eyepiece!

• gelkin, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#67 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

What I've done about the holes is top photo, nice screws that match the other screws

on the optical tube so they look the part of where accessories would be installed. Problem

is getting the nuts on. I use a piece of balsa wood from my model airplane stuff and I tape

the correct size wrench to the end of it, and tape the nut in the wrench jaws. Get it in there

get the nut started on the screw and your home free.

Another way is nylon screws. You really don't need a nut, you can just screw them in, if

you get the right size, which may be larger than you like, but it keeps the bugs out.

Lastly, stickers. Betty is covering up a focuser hole on the newt tube I was using to test a

lens, but you can find all kinds of stickers at craft stores, and some 1/4" inch diameter

stickers in white woudn't be too bad looking.

Robert

Edmundtron 007.JPG

Edmund 095.JPG

Edscorp 5 071.JPG

• albert1, madeline, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#68 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

Wow. After you have set up this huge beauty of a scope, you surely feel dedicated about having a rendezvous with the stars!

#69 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:51 PM

I was going through this thread without looking at the original dates but I am glad I did. Wonderful and beautiful instruments those 20TEs. Unless one puts wheels in those pedestals these are strictly observatory instruments. 

Now, if you see my likes placed today on posts from 2014, it's ok, I liked them no matter how old they are! applause.gif

• memento likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics