•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Royal (Astro Optical Company) Telescopes of Japan?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

Anyone know anything about these 1960's telescopes?

I have come across someone selling a 3 in (76mm) Royal R76T Refracting Telescope from the Astro Optical Company, Japan. Focal length F.1200mm.

It comes with the following: equatorial mount with 110v AC motor, 1 Barlow 2x lens, 3 eyepieces (SR 4mm, HM 12.5mm, H 20mm - Magnification 300X, 96X, 60X), Erecting prism Barlow lens, diagonal prism, Sun glass, Moon glass, Sun projection screen, and Instruction Manual. The whole is packed into a very strong wooden box.

The box is 36 in x 12 in x 11 inches.

The present owner claims it is of very high quality and a wonderful example of precision craftsmanship and engineering.

Are these telescopes any good and worth buying as a classic?

Stuart

#2 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

If you can afford the shipping, buy it! This is probably the nicest vintage Japan made scope I have seen on Ebay in several years. There was a simlar Lafayette with that awesome helical focuser about 1 year ago, but it was a piece of junk. I am pretty sure John Siple bought that one so maybe he could give us an update.

This one appears to be in excellent condition. I have been in contact with the owner and shipping is going to be $200US. The auction is going to go for a good price due to the fact that the words "vintage, Royal, and Japan" are all missing from the title. But, we found it anyway!

Good luck! I will probably bid up to $200US, $400 total shipped. It is worth much more. You can have it above that ;) And, since you are right there, you can pick it up.

#3 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Steve, I may well bid at that :)

Stuart

#4 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:39 AM

Anyone know anything about these 1960's telescopes?

I have come across someone selling a 3 in (76mm) Royal R76T Refracting Telescope from the Astro Optical Company, Japan. Focal length F.1200mm.

It comes with the following: equatorial mount with 110v AC motor, 1 Barlow 2x lens, 3 eyepieces (SR 4mm, HM 12.5mm, H 20mm - Magnification 300X, 96X, 60X), Erecting prism Barlow lens, diagonal prism, Sun glass, Moon glass, Sun projection screen, and Instruction Manual. The whole is packed into a very strong wooden box.

The box is 36 in x 12 in x 11 inches.

The present owner claims it is of very high quality and a wonderful example of precision craftsmanship and engineering.

Are these telescopes any good and worth buying as a classic?

Stuart

Hi Stuart.
I presently own an "ASTRO" 76mm f/16.4 equatorial refractor.
From the appearance of the eBay scope and it's accessories, it looks like mine is a close cousin to the Royal branded unit.
The eBay example appears to have a short pedestal (with eyepiece storage shelf) between the tripod legs and the equatorial head. The electric drive would be a nice feature which mine lacks.
It certainly appears to be a very neat, vintage 3" refractor.
I've enjoyed mine.

Good luck with the auction!!

#5 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

Hi Clive, thanks for the interesting comments and encouragement - I'm keeping an eye on it :)

Stuart

#6 scope dog

scope dog

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Shipping should be under $50.00, if it's a wood box + tripod $75.00

#7 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Well, I have written the seller several times over the past fews days and no longer get a response. I had decided this was going to be my Christmas present. I have a feeling the seller is content with the current price and not having to ship overseas.

#8 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:43 AM

Hey Stuart
Sorry the owner isn't responding.
I own a Royal Astro Optical 60mm f20 scope from the same era maybe earlier
It outclasses many 80mm scopes that I have encountered.
It is extremely elegant and imaqges are textbook perfect.
I hope that you are able to buy the 76mm
I have posted some pics of mine on this forum

My Scope Thread

All the best

Steve

#9 Gandalf

Gandalf

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

Hey Steve,

That's a nice scope you have, I've never seen anything quite like it! 60mm f20 - remarkable!

Still keeping an eye on the 76mm :)

Stuart

Hey Stuart
Sorry the owner isn't responding.
I own a Royal Astro Optical 60mm f20 scope from the same era maybe earlier
It outclasses many 80mm scopes that I have encountered.
It is extremely elegant and imaqges are textbook perfect.
I hope that you are able to buy the 76mm
I have posted some pics of mine on this forum

My Scope Thread

All the best

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics