•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescopes and Coconuts...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pasquale

Pasquale

Encrypted

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:02 AM

Hi All...

My name is Pasquale, and I'm new to Cloudy Nights. Having recently retired, I now have the time to enjoy my life long passion... Astronomy :love: My only experience consists of endless hours peering through my brother's circa 1972 Tasco 60mm telescope given to him that Christmas. He looked throught it twice and moved on. I, however, found Saturn, and was hooked for life...

Deciding to "Do It Right", I initiated my research, and stumbled upon this terrific forum. It didn't take me long before I realized... you people are a sharp bunch of coconuts! You are knowledgeable, experienced, friendly and most importantly, very passionate about amateur astronomy. Exactly what a new guy needs. I have learned volumes by reading thread after thread on this site, and even found a friend by enlisting the aid of Photonovore, who helped me considerably in my selection of a telescope. Big kudo's to you Mardi :bow: When the dust settled and cleared, I chose the NexStar 9.25 GPS. I found only a couple of dealers who had that model in stock, and chose Astronomics because of their commitment to help maintain this gem of a website. Tom and Billy were both friendly and extremely helpful in suggestions and service. Needless to say, I will continue to give them my business in future purchases.

I am posting this message as my introduction to the forum. The scope arrives on Thursday, and the questions will most assuredly arise on Friday. I didn't want to be a complete stranger to those who will undoubtedly further my progress in this hobby.

My wife endured hours, days, weeks of watching me pouring over my laptop studying scopes, accesssories, ccd imagers, etc... and breathed a sigh of relief when I ordered the telescope, thinking I was done buying. Poor, dear sweet woman, I didn't have the heart to tell her it's only just begun....

Thanks to you all...

Pasquale

#2 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:10 AM

Pasquale: From one of the lesser coconuts here, Welcome to CN!

Looks like you made a fine choice in the 9.25. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

Jim

#3 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:09 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Pasquale. Nice scope to start with, plenty of aperture for those faint fuzzies. We will all look forward to your first light report.

#4 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

Welcome, Pasquale. That‘s an excellent scope. You‘re in for a treat. You‘ll get a great view of the moon, planets, and deep space objects. I‘m looking forward to reading your "first light" report.

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

My wife endured hours, days, weeks of watching me pouring over my laptop studying scopes, accesssories, ccd imagers, etc... and breathed a sigh of relief when I ordered the telescope, thinking I was done buying. Poor, dear sweet woman, I didn't have the heart to tell her it's only just begun....

That's nothing; my wife had to endure a year of research before I finally settled upon my LX-90. Welcome to the forum, Pasquale!

#6 Eddy

Eddy

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to CN Pasquale,
You choose a nice scope. I do have a C8SGT, but sometimes regret that I didn't go straight for the C9.25. That being said I love my C8. Celestron makes good SCT in my opinion. Like you I spend weeks searching on the internet. Even my wife asked me when I finally would order the d****d thing :D. Now she "regrets", because I am spending even more time looking for accessories... :smirk:
Welcome aboard. You are going to love it.

#7 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

Congratulations on your new "toy" AND retirement:jump:

Don't forget W-O-R-K is a 'four-letter word' :roflmao:

Good luck!

Don :usa:

#8 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Poor, dear sweet woman, I didn't have the heart to tell her it's only just begun....

Truer words were never spoken.
Congratulations on your scope, you have chossen wisely:waytogo:
Welcome to Cloudy Nights and don't forget to give us a first light report!

#9 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam

Anybody with a "PAS" in their name is OK in my book!

Hope you enjoy CN as much as I do.

#10 AlphaGeek

AlphaGeek

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

Pasquale, welcome to CN!

With respect to the wife, you just need to assist in finding her a hobby with as many accessories as there are in astronomy! That way when you need a new accessory you can simply suggest she get a new one as well.

The only problem with this plan is that you have to save up double what you intend to spend on your accessory. Ah well...

Clear and dark skies when your scope arrives!

#11 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

you people are a sharp bunch of coconuts!

And we cut just as well. Welcome.

#12 GregC

GregC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

With respect to the wife, you just need to assist in finding her a hobby with as many accessories as there are in astronomy!

When she saw the LX90 and asked "How much did THAT cost?!" I just smiled and replied "Two years worth of voice lessons. And when the two years are past, I get $100 worth of accessories per month." :smirk:

-greg

#13 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

A big welcome to Cloudy Nights Pasquale.
Great choice on the scope BTW. :grin:
You must like challenges because trying to view in this state is a challenge for sure.
I have a pile of new stuff thats still untested.

Make sure you attend some or at least one of the great star party here in the NW this summer!

#14 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Pasquale! Good luck with the new scope, and stick around with us as often as you can, CN is a great place to be!

#15 Pasquale

Pasquale

Encrypted

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome... I believe I've found a home in this forum. I will give everyone a first light report as weather permits, for "Cloudy Nights" is not just the name for this forum, it is a way of life for us living in the Great Northwest. Sky Captain... I'd like that, just pm me with the details, schedules; there are no astronomy clubs that I know of in my area. Thanks again all...

Pasquale

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics