•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laser Protection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 nemo

nemo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2004 - 03:33 PM

:question: Folks,
I seem to remember a while ago reading about some sort of coating or cover that is used by the military on binoculars. This cover protects some one looking through binoculars from being blinded by a laser. Apparently this has happened on boarders where there is a military presence with observers. The other side has used low power lasers to shot into the objective end of the binoculars used by the observing party causing permanent eye damage. Is this some sort of urban bino myth or is it true? If so what is the mechanism used to protect the observer and at the same time allow continued use of the binocular? I realize that this is a little off topic for an Astro-bino forum but I am very curious. As usual any input would be most appreciated.
R/S,
Dan

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:24 PM

Dan

The info on this site suggests this is no myth.

http://www.pyser-sgi...sp?ParentID=255

Incidentally --I've never heard of these Francis Barker binoculars before.

Has anyone else I wonder ?

Regards --Kenny.

#3 Don25

Don25

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:03 PM

I know back a few years ago, there was a guy in the U.S military (Navy, I think) who claims he was partially blinded by a Russian laser that was aimed at his face. I can't remember the details, but evidently the Russians felt he was spying, and lased him. I never heard the outcome as he was seeking damages. So I believe that it is not an Urban Legend about this topic.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

The info on this site suggests this is no myth.
http://www.pyser-sgi...sp?ParentID=255

That page mentions the "ISK-167 laser protection." I found the specs fror the ISK-167 filter here (PDF file):

http://www.isuzuglas...absorb(ISK).PDF

Apparently it's just an IR block filter that blocks infrared laser.

#5 nemo

nemo

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:57 PM

Ken,Kenney and Don,
Thank you all for the information and links.
Dan

#6 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:41 PM

I read that the Chinese have developed a wide band or variable frequency laser which renders most filters useless. The current trend is towards indirect view through CCD. Better to lose a CCD than your eyes.

No, it is not an urban legend. The military do use it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics