•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Red LED flashlight for amateur astronomers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#26 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Most people here tend to recommend the DIMMEST red light you can get.  The dimmer the better.  Personally, I have one of those headlamps the a lot of people, especially at star parties, detest.  But I've covered mine over with red fingernail polish so that it is very dim.

That said, there are two adjustable hand held flashlights you could look into.  They are both similar but put out by two different resellers.  One is by Celestron and the other that I know of is put out by Orion.  Both have a dimmer dial so that you can bring up the intensity when needed and get the light as dim as you need.

Check 'em out!

I use a Petzl head lamp myself. It comes with a red flip cover, but it's still too bright so I bought some red brake light tape at an auto supply store and put a couple of extra layers of tape over the cover. I also try to use weak batteries.  

#27 seawolfe

seawolfe

Gemini

• -----

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

Most people here tend to recommend the DIMMEST red light you can get.  The dimmer the better.  Personally, I have one of those headlamps the a lot of people, especially at star parties, detest.  But I've covered mine over with red fingernail polish so that it is very dim.

That said, there are two adjustable hand held flashlights you could look into.  They are both similar but put out by two different resellers.  One is by Celestron and the other that I know of is put out by Orion.  Both have a dimmer dial so that you can bring up the intensity when needed and get the light as dim as you need.

Check 'em out!

I use a Petzl head lamp myself. It comes with a red flip cover, but it's still too bright so I bought some red brake light tape at an auto supply store and put a couple of extra layers of tape over the cover. I also try to use weak batteries.  

I've tried the red brake light tape...it doesn't seem to work for my headlamp very well....BUT I do use if for my anti-collision lights on my tripod and the dome lights for my car interior and trunk.  It seems to work well in those cases.  Hence the red fingernail polish on the headlamp....got it quite dim indeed!

#28 Gazpacho

Gazpacho

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Gerber Recon

Retails for @ $20

it is a single LED flashlight with a dial on the front.  Twisting the dial changes the light from white to red to green to blue.  The red option is just enough to work by at night, around the scope.  The white option is bright enough for packing up at night when you are done.  Uses 1 AA battery.  It also has a lanyard hole big enough for 550 paracord.  I carry mine around hanging from my neck.

#29 bumm

bumm

Vanguard

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

While I've already put in my vote for the Rigel Skylite, (red and white, both variable,) I'll admit that it DOES have a flimsy feel to it.  Seems like there's a market out here for someone who wants to manufacture a quality built version.

Marty

#30 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

Check 'em out!

Glen is correct. Just because it is a red light does not mean it won't affect your night vision. You want the red light to be as dim as possible.

#31 Stargaz18

Stargaz18

Ranger 4

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Try looking at the Smith & Wesson Pilots flashlight. It has a regular white light LED, 3 red LEDs or just 1 red LED. I haven't bought one yet but plan to since I'm usually camping at my dark sky site. It's available at Sportys Pilot Shop on the net. And it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Edited by Stargaz18, 01 November 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#32 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Vostok 1

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

I once bought a red flashlight that was suppose to be just for astronomy. But it turned out to be very bright and ruined my night vision. So I took a small penlight, painted the blub cover with red fingernail polish. And added layers of the paint to adjust the brightness. Now I can see my star charts without blinding myself.

#33 spencerj

spencerj

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

This is the red light that I use.  It is very small and very solid.  It is not dimable, but only has one LED.  If I am really concerned about using the dimest possible light, I block the small opening with a finger and let out just enough light to see my charts.  

http://www.amazon.co... led flashlight

#34 doberman10

doberman10

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

I keep a roll of 3M red vinyl tape and use that to cover the lenses of all sorts of flashlights I have laying around, including my headlamp.  The tape works quite well.

Is that the tape that looks like red duct tape. If it is, that's the same thing I use. It does work really good, as I even cover my dome lights in my vehicle with it for star parties.

#35 Jim4321

Jim4321

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Remember ol' man winter if you're in an area where you need gloves to stay out.  In that case, a red flashlight (and other things) should have a large enough on/off & dimmer to work without removing gloves.  I prefer those with neck lanyards.

Jim H.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics