•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay and other vintage telescope ads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
571 replies to this topic

#551 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

Fess up - who here locally picked up what appeared to be the 4" Edmund red tube refractor with mount and click drive offered for $50?

Where was it offered, eBay? 

It was on the SFBay craigslist. 

Seller described the tube as 5' long and the general look of it in the pictures suggested 4".

I sent an email but didn't hear back. 

Perhaps coming to a tile counter near us all in short order. 

My first thought too.  CW, Focuser, Setting circles, 1/2 red tube, then the other half...all the parts, part by part.  I am still waiting on the feedback for the Tak EM-100 someone bought for $1260.  My most recent (and last now no matter what the price) purchase was a fine looking, from the pictures,  Vixen metal tray.  It arrived all beat up.

As mentioned, ad was deleted....

However, the seller emailed me today. 

Hoping to schedule a pick up tomorrow. 

Will provide updates; will not part out..........

Best of luck and THANK YOU. I know the arguments for property rights and all that but it still saddens me to see a complete classic car,scope or whatever callously destroyed simply for profit-especially when the "junkman" refuses  a VERY good offer for the complete item. 

#552 apfever

apfever

Aurora

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Edmund Scientific 4-1/4" f/10 reflector in Cleveland:

http://cleveland.cra...4783852375.html

Incidentally, this particular scope has been on Craigslist for close to two years now; surprising, as this is the redesigned model with much steadier mount w/drive and fully adjustable diagonal. 

Nice instrument, particularly for a youngster just starting out; someone here should really get hold of it before the lister possibly gets disgusted and dumps it.

I still have the 6" version, completely restored, re engineered, fixed (bogus design).  I sold the 4.25" some time ago.  I have no interest in another one. If I did, it would have to be complete with papers, eyepieces, caps, and in very nice shape for $150 in this neck o' the woods.

I'm not sure about the $50 unit mentioned above. If it is the same mount and drive as this $150 version, then the buyer needs to check and probably adjust the gear since most of them were off far enough to cause tooth damage.  Edmund did NOT get the gear mesh right AT ALL.  There is plenty of info in the archives on fixing this.

#553 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Looks like it's probably sold, but there's a great looking Towa 339 with modern Crawmach focuser and other nice amenities in the Swap and Shop refractors section.  

And, on an unrelated note, 1960s Polarex RA motor drive here:

http://www.cloudynig...platform-clamp/

In order for that 128 drive to work properly you need more than just a voltage converter.  The frequency would still be off, 50 hz versus 60 hz and the gearing is different then for a 60 hz version.  

#554 labmand

labmand

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

I thought about not posting this for a couple weeks now.  But it's still there and it is a C8 Ultima.  If I were in the market, I'd want to pay less than the asking price, but the scope does have a hard case and some essential accessories:  http://losangeles.cr...4762186424.html

-Tim.

YIKES!  That's a good deal for an Ultima!  Very nice!

Wow! Built like a tank and with push to JMI/encoders etc. If I didn't already

Have one, who knows what I may do.....another left coast deal, it aint gonna

Be cheap to ship this one.

#555 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Best of luck and THANK YOU. I know the arguments for property rights and all that but it still saddens me to see a complete classic car,scope or whatever callously destroyed simply for profit-especially when the "junkman" refuses  a VERY good offer for the complete item. 

I know exactly what you mean. To go off-topic for a moment, I'm the current owner of a 1953 Gretsch Electromatic guitar. As with most old Gretsch guitars, the binding is shot. Someone tried to refinish the guitar, and did a pretty awful job. The neck needs reset, and it could use new frets. Basically, it needs a lot of work, but it is restorable. As a whole, the guitar at this point would not bring much. On the other hand, the original pickups, along with the original wiring harness, pots and knobs, would more than likely start a bidding war on ebay. The bridge alone is probably worth three times what I would get for the guitar as a whole. Parting this poor guitar out would put a pretty sizeable dent in the purchase price of a good used 3.5" Questar, but somehow I can't bring myself to do it. All I have to do is stare at the beautiful one-piece tiger maple back and I get the feeling that history will remember me for the evil thing that I've done...

Bill

#556 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

That C14 sure looks like it's in need of a lot of TLC...in rough cosmetic shape, and with the accessories jumbled together in the OTA case.  No picture taken of the OTA optics, either.  $3000 is more than a little pricey for "that lot".

John

#557 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

That C14 sure looks like it's in need of a lot of TLC...in rough cosmetic shape, and with the accessories jumbled together in the OTA case.  No picture taken of the OTA optics, either.  $3000 is more than a little pricey for "that lot".

John

It does look like it was stored in a chicken coop... Still, if the optics and mechanics are good, the price might be a little steep, but possibly not too far out of line.

Bill

#558 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Looks like it's probably sold, but there's a great looking Towa 339 with modern Crawmach focuser and other nice amenities in the Swap and Shop refractors section.  

In order for that 128 drive to work properly you need more than just a voltage converter.  The frequency would still be off, 50 hz versus 60 hz and the gearing is different then for a 60 hz version.  

Depends on the intended market of the drive. Some places are 60 hz some 50 hz. Japan is 100V 50 Hz in the east/ north and 60 hz in the south/ west. Most but not all 220 is 50 hz. Korea and parts of South America are 220 60 hz. The whole thing is a pain.

#559 Andy Taylor

Andy Taylor

Twisted, but in a Good Way

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

You have no idea how much I want this...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a48cf7801

When I was at school my maths teacher had one. I looked through it a lot and it's the scope that turned me on to the hobby.

Oh, 1969 - where have the years gone...?

#560 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Edmund Scientific 4-1/4" f/10 reflector in Cleveland:

http://cleveland.cra...4783852375.html

Incidentally, this particular scope has been on Craigslist for close to two years now; surprising, as this is the redesigned model with much steadier mount w/drive and fully adjustable diagonal. 

Nice instrument, particularly for a youngster just starting out; someone here should really get hold of it before the lister possibly gets disgusted and dumps it.

I still have the 6" version, completely restored, re engineered, fixed (bogus design).  I sold the 4.25" some time ago.  I have no interest in another one. If I did, it would have to be complete with papers, eyepieces, caps, and in very nice shape for $150 in this neck o' the woods.

I'm not sure about the $50 unit mentioned above. If it is the same mount and drive as this $150 version, then the buyer needs to check and probably adjust the gear since most of them were off far enough to cause tooth damage.  Edmund did NOT get the gear mesh right AT ALL.  There is plenty of info in the archives on fixing this.

The design wasn't really bogus; more like underfunded. After you discovered the gear/worm spacing issue on these mounts, I mentioned this to the designer; he told me that there was supposed to be a special washer used to maintain proper alignment, but because of relatively poor sales apparently corners were cut (I've often wondered if, apart from the Astroscan, Edmund actually made any profit whatsoever from these later red-tubed scopes). Witness also the bored-out slug arrangement to take play out of the motor driveshaft that I reverse-engineered; it's no coincidence that it's diameter to fit the casting is 5/8", same as the shafts (uses identical steel rod stock). Again, according to the designer, that was another mount item that was nixed for economic reasons; same goes for those flats cast into the ends of the tripod legs, which were meant for optional casters, and the bosses on the fork-mount cradles for attaching guidescopes and other items.

#561 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Indeed; old DC-to-AC drive correctors with adjustable speed rates can usually get down to 50hz, so using one of these would solve the issue nicely. Alternatively, modern small power inverters can have their frequency adjusted, but doing so requires a bit of electronic knowledge and skill.

#562 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

You don't see one of these every day (Criterion pedestal mount):

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I thought long and hard before posting this.  I want it.  When I was in my mid-teens I used to use the observatory at our planetarium on a very regular basis.  We had one of these (with a pristine OTA as well).  I want it very badly.

But then reality sets in.  I do plan on having an observatory for multiple scopes in the new house, but the reality is, this will not fit into the mix, especially since I'm planning a modern mount for AP.  This needs to go to a good home where it will be restored and used.

#563 Linn

Linn

Messenger

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

The Mt. Palomar Hale replica scope, $60.

http://austin.craigs...4804107494.html

#564 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

Golden Pyramid

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2346b71abd

#565 Nave

Nave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

Got the Edmund 4" refractor. 

#566 albert1

albert1

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Nice :waytogo:

#567 jjbird

jjbird

Messenger

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

Congrats! 

#568 strdst

strdst

Aurora

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Oh my, you must really be liking the rain!

#569 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Can you do a picture story post for us. The Edmund 4 inch is a marvelous instrument.

Robert

#570 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Missing a lot.  No wedge, no plate under the wedge, no rubber mat, no spreader shaft or spreader.

The red is simply plugs to keep things out of the tube, not dampening material.

This has been around a lot.

Brian

#571 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Oh my, you must really be liking the rain!

He must! yep, more coming in tonight....

#572 refasali

refasali

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

This looks to be in my neighborhood (Portland, OR) - I have not seen it and am uninterested for myself.

A brass scope (incomplete?) with a wooden wedge, and a wooden counter weight & shafts?  With what looks to be a draw style focuser, a mounted objective, and a brass ep (6mm?)?  Brings up a lot of questions, but I'm pretty busy over here.  Anyone interested in having a local make contact with the buyer can pm me.

http://portland.crai...4773685496.html

Edited by refasali, 15 December 2014 - 12:27 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics