•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy Starlapse arrived

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

UPS aka Ur Parcel Smashed, dropped off the new starlapse,

well it typical fashion, it is mostly cloudy with small breaks in the cloud showing the mostly full moon,,

I did make a 90 frame movie,, very low quality one,,, but enough to test the unit to see how it works,,,

now if I could only figure out how to put the movie in this post.

kb

Attached Thumbnails

• StarLapse_sys.jpg

Edited by kbastro, 05 November 2014 - 01:26 AM.

• fco_star likes this

#2 nickatnight

nickatnight

Skylab

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA (LA Suburbs)

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

Hmmm. That's a cool gadget. Went over the website. Seems more robust than other trackers. Looking forward to some shots and videos!

#3 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

I've been interested in this. What kind of imaging are you planing to do with it?

Edited by terry59, 05 November 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#4 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

It's built like a tank, multi configurable and very simplistic to operate,,,

It's defiantly NOT the lightest camtracker out there, adding a beefier camera

tripod will be an asset,,

the shots will be of multi movement ground/starlapses,, the video I shot yesterday I

had the moon moving off the frame while it was panning my backyard and the clouds

were racing by like a run away locomotive..

video was cool but low quality small jpeg only 90 frames used and speed was set at 120 on

the hand control.

kb

#5 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

I've been interested in this. What kind of imaging are you planing to do with it?

I wanna set it up at one of our mini starparties  putting it in the unit in the middle of us and let it

spin around in a complete circle and then later sit back and watch the night frolicking

unfold at hi-speed!

kb

#6 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

The StarLapse looks like its built from GM8 parts - certainly the RA axis shaft and head look very very similar. Even got the same polar scope by the look of it?

#7 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

The Losmandy site says the StarLapse controller can be upgraded to the standard GM-8 controller (probably for the dual axis configuration) or even Gemini-2 if you want to replace the motors as well. Does the StarLapse controller have a lot of unique features you may not want to lose if you decide to upgrade controllers?

Gale

#8 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

The StarLapse looks like its built from GM8 parts - certainly the RA axis shaft and head look very very similar. Even got the same polar scope by the look of it?

it is the g8 ra and yes it is the polar scope that losmandy uses, and in some times by Astro-Physics as well

kb

#9 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

The Losmandy site says the StarLapse controller can be upgraded to the standard GM-8 controller (probably for the dual axis configuration) or even Gemini-2 if you want to replace the motors as well. Does the StarLapse controller have a lot of unique features you may not want to lose if you decide to upgrade controllers?

Gale

You can convert the starlapse back and forth between a cam tracker and a regular astrophotography type mount in a few leisure minutes, I am not sure if you can switch the unit to a "Gemini" system,, I wouldn't be quick as new motors and drive system are a bit different and have to be installed in daylight and it would not be quick.

The starlapse's hand control offers sidereal, and solar speed + 6 other speeds marked as 30, 60,,, up to 240 to slew the camera, which the numbers base the speed of the natural earth turning/sun moving across the sky at 15 (degrees per hour). so the 30 button turns your camera twice as fast as the earth turns or 2x,, and the buttons pretty much equal what many mounts already do by offering the 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x 32x, 64x. Scott just laid it out different for what the starlapse is intended to do "starlapses" or "panning" and a combo of both.

one other note, if you hold the start button for 3 seconds, all 6 speeds are reduced to 1/10 their normal speed.

So to answer your question,, each configuration has its own uses and you never "lose" anything as you can switch from one configuration to the other in minutes,,,

kb

#10 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

Gale

You can convert the starlapse back and forth between a cam tracker and a regular astrophotography type mount in a few leisure minutes, I am not sure if you can switch the unit to a "Gemini" system,, I wouldn't be quick as new motors and drive system are a bit different and have to be installed in daylight and it would not be quick.

The starlapse's hand control offers sidereal, and solar speed + 6 other speeds marked as 30, 60,,, up to 240 to slew the camera, which the numbers base the speed of the natural earth turning/sun moving across the sky at 15 (degrees per hour). so the 30 button turns your camera twice as fast as the earth turns or 2x,, and the buttons pretty much equal what many mounts already do by offering the 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x 32x, 64x. Scott just laid it out different for what the starlapse is intended to do "starlapses" or "panning" and a combo of both.

one other note, if you hold the start button for 3 seconds, all 6 speeds are reduced to 1/10 their normal speed.

So to answer your question,, each configuration has its own uses and you never "lose" anything as you can switch from one configuration to the other in minutes,,,

kb

Thanks for the reply. The standard GM-8 controller for the stepper motors and the Gemini controller for the servo motors can duplicate the 6 speeds 30 through 240 but can't duplicate reducing the speed to 1/10 of the normal speed if the normal speed is less than sideral. My thought was if you did the upgrade you would never use the StarLapse controller again if you upgraded to Gemini, but it looks like you could easily switch controllers if you upgraded to the GM-8 standard dual-axis controller for the stepper motors.

The dual-axis configuration might be good if you wanted to create a portable mount that could easily be changed from GEM mode to alt/az mode and back to simple starlapse mode. The Gemini mode would be pretty expensive if you don't already have it for your home mount but good if you wanted a portable GOTO mount that works in either GEM or Alt/az modes only.

Do you plan to use your StarLapse more for creating timelapse projects or more often as single axis tracking mount?

Gale

#11 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

Do you plan to use your StarLapse more for creating timelapse projects or more often as single axis tracking mount?

Gale

both, the unit is more flexible, than any camera trackers that I have right now (astrotrac, Ioptron sky tracker), the functionality of the starsense in single axis mode is the same as any other of the dozen or so "camera trackers" out there,,

BUT what losmandy did is add software & hand controller and multi configurability to move it beyond a simple tracker, hence the reason I bought it..

kb

#12 Ralph Paonessa

Ralph Paonessa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mojave Desert, California

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

It's built like a tank, multi configurable and very simplistic to operate,,,

It's defiantly NOT the lightest camtracker out there, adding a beefier camera

tripod will be an asset.

After researching the available sky trackers out there for widefield DSLR, I concluded that the best option might be the Celestron Advanced VX mount. But I didn't come across this Losmandy, which looks very appealing. And I've started doing time lapse, so the video panning modes are appealing.

Why the AVX? Well, it seemed like overkill (but overkill in a mount can be good :)). I imagine this and the AVX would do better than the iOptron Sky Tracker (now on sale for $300 including polar scope) for all but the lightest camera/shortest lens combinations. And right now I'm using the Orion Atlas EQ-G, which at 37 lb. (plus the 17 lb. tripod) is also not the lightest camtracker out there  :p; the AVX is 35 lb. including an 18 lb. tripod. Cost is $844 with PAS, rated at 30 lb. payload. And you also get a fairly decent (?) GEM in the deal, GoTo, hand controller, accepts autoguider ...

But the StarLapse weighs 8.8 lb. (without tripod), and will cost $895 with PAS, and also claims 30 lb. payload.

So both of these sound appealing to me. Looking forward to your results and impressions.

#13 boandpokey

boandpokey

Messenger

• ***--
  • Loc: Auburndale, Fl

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

https://www.ioptron....03-35701500a438

I have this. works good

#14 entilza

entilza

Gemini

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

Great pictures from your other threads!

So the lure for these smaller systems are strictly for portability and the panning functions?

All these options now, I am struggling to decide which route to go, as a beginner I keep thinking a full EQ mount is what I need but systems like this are starting to look more appealing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics